Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:43 PM   #11

What I meant by "it's like the T33" is that it is the same camera with the Samsung name on it, keep in mind that because of the different firmware and different coating on the lens, the results will not be the same.

The T7 is a different beast.

REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:07 PM   #12

Well I've been using it all weekend and so far I love it.

Incredibly easy to use, good video, and decent quality - I can't compare as I've only ever used a 4 yr old Ricoh, but it beats that hands down in all departments. So small, good battery life, easy transfer etc.

Got it with an extra 256Mb card for under £200, can't be bad.
NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:02 AM   #13

Hello NBee,

200 pounds ? it's a great price !!

Sorry but I was quite too, because i was occupied with the purchase of my new little toy, a Qtek S100 pocket pc-phone . I am also about to buy the i5 but first i want to see and touch it, so i am unlucky because so far there are no shop that sell it in Greece. Are you satisfied from the look and feel ? Any tries to take pics with low light conditions ? results ? How many mins of video, in the highest quality, can you take with the 256 card ? Can you post any pics ?
Do you find any things that the need improvement in this camera ?
jimser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:12 AM   #14

Dear NBee,

Thanks for your posts; I've been itching to find someone who owns and uses this camera. Like jimser I would very much like to know how the Digimax i5 performs in lower light situations. Also is the "safety flash" just a gimmick or does it actually work reasonably well?

jimser mentioned the Dimage x1. This is certainly a very sexy looking camera, but the LCD display has only half the number of pixels of the i5 and to me that is a very important difference, so I still think the i5 is the best endowed ultra-compact camera. Also it is thinner than the Dimage x1.

Your comments and/or your pictures would would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :!:

Alan Bottomley, Hobart, Australia.
aaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:38 AM   #15

aaybee good morning, (its still morning here in Athens, Greece)

Do you know how they count the pixels number ? its simply X*Y = pixel number or isit : X*Y*3 ?My pda's screen (2,8"') is only 320x240=76800 and looks nice.230.000 pixels is 420x560 (4/3) or is it 320x240=76800*3=230400 ?

In this case x1's screen is only 232x174, not really very goodtoshow the pics to your friends !

Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:07 AM   #16

Dear jimser,

Thanks for your interest.

The number of pixels is just x*y. If you multiply by 3 then you are talking about the number of sub-pixels (red, green and blue pixels).

I also have a PDA with a 2.8" screen (O2 XDA II Mini), and you are correct about the number of pixels: 320 x 240. It does look nice when displaying text and general background colours but if you display full resolution digital images it does not look too good! (I was quite dissapointed with this aspect of the device).

To get good looking digital images on a big screen you need plenty of pixels. I currently have a Canon Ixus V2 with a 1.5" screen-diagonal and 120,000 pixels.If you do the maths thisworks out to 12.5 pixels per mm (horizontally). The 230,000 pixels on the Digimax i5 works out to about 11 pixels per mm which is nearly the same.

Most compact cameras with 2.5" screens have only about 100,000 or so pixels which is a fair bit less than optimum.

Of course plenty of other things influence the quality of the display so you really need to see it or talk to someone who has seen it.

The Digimax i5 has not appeared in Australia yet but in any case I intend to buy it on eBay providing it gets good reviews or if NBee gives a good report.

Alan Bottomley (AayBee).
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:24 AM   #17

What a coincidence ! With the danger to be a little off topic, I just bought the same device !!(Qtek S100). I think the - it suits in my pocket factor - is the crucial one !! Considering the imate jam/O2 xda/Qtek mp4 with 15fps, I am very curious to see the video that the i5 produces.The 640x480 30fps xvid movie (at 2mbit/s i suppose)has to be superb !!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:52 AM   #18

Dear Jimser,

Regarding the Digimax i5 movie-mode. Yes, it should be very good because as well as good resolution (640 x 480)and high frame-rate (30 fps), it is also possible to use the zoom during movie recording. This is not possible on most "still" digital cameras.

(Off-subject: I have owned my XDA Mini for 6 months and I am very pleased with it!).

Alan Bottomley (AayBee).
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:28 AM   #19

coming back to the topic of samsung digimax i

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:46 AM   #20

Dear Musicarvind,

Thankyou so much for making your Digimax i5 pictures and movie clip available.

I downloaded the movie and I thought it was pretty good. Apparently the reason why the sound is muted during zoom is because otherwise there would be a lot of noise pick-up from the zooming mechanism. Remeber that the microphone on the camera is very close to the zooming mechanism.

I am very interested to know more about the "safety flash" feature of the Digimax i5. Does this work or is it just a gimmick? Any posts of "safety flash" pictures would be very much appreciated:!:

Alan Bottomley, Hobart, Australia.