Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:36 PM   #21

Alan

The i5 is available in Australia
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:42 PM   #22

All,

sorry I didn't check this thread for a while, thanks for the questions.

You've probably answered most of them now - but regarding the safety flash and low light capabilities, I'll try them out hopefully tonight and get back to you. I'm interested to try too, as I've only used it outdoors so far.

NBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:51 AM   #23

Hi Alan,

The SF function has reasonably high noise to it during indoor takes. Its just a feature not to use the flash. The display almost always gives a "movement warning" when focusing on the object with the SF function. I really don't use it cause I guess my hands are not that stable! But at manual, setting to ISO400 gives quite a great shot. Not a whole lot of noise. I rather use this function than the SF.

I just don't get idea of not having a tripod mount. Anyone has an answer to it?

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:14 AM   #24

Hi Arvind,

Thanks for the info re Digimax i5 Safety Flash performance. That is much appreciated!

I am disappointed to learn that the camera does not have a tripod mount. Why they would leave that out I don't know. I notice that the Fujifilm Z1 also misses out the tripod mount but they provide one on the camera dock. So if you have the camera on the dock then you can connect a tripod, but it doesn't look as though you can do that with the i5.

Nevertheless I still think the i5 has a lot going for it.

Alan Bottomley, Hobart, Australia.
aaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:20 PM   #25

Alan,

Before you go ahead with your purchase, I'd just like to say this. Its really dissapointing but I'll go ahead with it. Quality on the i5 is substandard. It was an exciting day yesterday to take pictures with my now 4 day old camera of my wife's birthday. While lighting the candles on the cake, i slip my ultra i5 into my back pocket. A little sit down on it. I mean i was aware it was back there, so a slight pressure should not do any harm. I got the candles lit, slipped out my camera. And to my shock, the LCD had cracked from the INSIDE!. I mean there is no crack on the cover of the LCD but a crack from the inside!. Its horrible. There is like a black streak of "black ink" sort off on that about 1.5 cm crack and its INSIDE!. Its a huge 2.5" LCD but hey, whats all the covering around it for? Fashion? Maybe it is.

Well forgive me oh mighty god, but do I really wanna deal with something as fragile as glass as a camera? I mean even glass would withstand that pressure. I just think the finishing on the camera although of stainless steel, does not justify protection needed for a camera. I am sorry for all you out there looking to buy the i5 but be aware, its really a very fragile camera. Clean it and care for it the way you would a baby's bottom. Well my wife has taken it to the Samsung Service Center, lets hope I get away with a free LCD change. "fingers crossed"

Conclusion: I am impressed with the way my brother in law handles his Canon. Throw it into his bag and slam it on his table, and it surely is a solid make. Korean made products, I have always been skeptical. I was right. I'll stick to Japanese made stuff for the future.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:32 AM   #26

Hi Arvind,

Thanks so much for the feedback and gee, I hope they renew the LCD for you.

I am having second thoughts now but if I do buy the i5 I will be careful to not put it in my back pocket :!::sad:.

Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:38 AM   #27

I think that with i5, a good buy would be a LCD screen protector and a small leather case. Of courseplacing in aback pocket, or in a pocket with keysis something forbidden. I had to change the whole exterior of my first Ultra compact (Optio S) to learn this.
jimser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:52 AM   #28

Actually the pictures came out pretty nice. Am not a professional but look at this picture. I think the file should have the EXIF data with it. Let me know what you think.

Right now am just waiting patiently for the distributor to come back to me on whether the LCD gets replaced for free or not. But yes it was a lesson to le

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:34 AM   #29

Nice picture Arvind,

What settings did you use (I couldn't find any EXIF data)?

I am still very interested in the Digimax i5 particulary if takes pictures like this!

However I have just noticed that Panasonic are about to release the DMC-FX9.

This camera will have 207,000 pixels in the LCD display as against only 114,000 pixels in the DMC-FX7. It is not quite as compact as the Dgimax i5 but it has optical image stabilisation and a good movie mode. So I am tossing up.

Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:46 PM   #30

Hi Alan,

For the cake shot, this is the EXIF data

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM.