Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:06 AM   #11

@orpheus11:
You certainly have never had an image stabilised ultrazoom, otherwise you wouldn't have made such a bluntly false statement. You certainly can make with the FZ5, S2IS or the P850 420mm shots at 1/60 without a tripod and the results are pretty sharp. There is nothing more valuable for an ultrazoom than an image stabiliser and the 815pro simply lacks this fundamental asset.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:55 PM   #12

Here's something taken at 420mm hand held with the Samsung Pro815
Attached Images

orpheus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:24 AM   #13

Kassandro: No, you are right. I have not used an image stabiliser, ever. As a press and sports photographer I used high end cameras (Canon, Nikon), usually on tripods, at high shutter speeds, when permissable, without image stabilisers. And we got pretty good results. A great many press photographers (I daresay, most?) still don't use them. But if you find them useful, by all means, go for it. I would like to see an example pic taken at 1/60th hand held. If you can get a sharp pic at 400 mm at 1/60th without a tripod, they must be good.
The Samsung Pro815 does have assets, however, that its rivals don't have -- like full manual operation, if you need it, 15X zoom, and that large LCD. And it is large enough to remain steady in the hand when flimsier cameras can't match up. (Heavy cameras are very good in a scrum when people jump in front of you, by the way.) At the price it is, I still think it's great value.

orpheus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:28 PM   #14

However, one cannot deny that the Pro 815 is a real performer, tripod or no tripod. It will be very interesting indeed to see what comes from the joint Pentax-Samsung effort. Their first dSLR, using a German Schneider lens is due to come on market in March or April.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:09 AM   #15

is there anybody alived there from Samsung...???...

What is the reason of 30 seconds capturing clips...(limited)

of course it is a photographing machine, but digital at all...why limiting the machine up to 30 second...???...

except this, i think the price-performance is good...:sad:
cayvaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:24 PM   #16

A real shot from this camera... From about 30 feet away full zomm hand held..

drz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:41 PM   #17

is that squirrel smiling? j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:08 PM   #18

i picked up my 815 last October after much debate without the aid of reviews (none at that time).

some four thousand shots later...i think i have made the right choice. maybe i can share some of my tips and comments

-you'll get great shots if you shoot between 8am and 7pm and know how to comfortably work with aperature and shutter under ISO 200
-bounce the SEF-42a flash for dark indoors shots (the flash has a huge range for ISO 200 with a ceiling height of 10ft)
-i carry a tripod when i know i am shooting nights (ISO 400 is usable with tripod btw.)
-shoot raws for night and landscape when you have the time to wait 10 seconds for recycling
-i shoot most non-flash shots on rapid to record 3 images within a second (one of them is likely to have less blur but this does require you to have a fast CF card)

gonna head home for now but ill likely revise this later...

hopefully someone will find this useful

waterwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 2:36 PM   #19

I own a Pro 815 for 6 months now. The camera does all I expect it to do => deliver great sharpness and colors. Because of the many functions it takes some time to really get used to camera. The noise certainly is there from 200 ISO and above, but it stays within acceptable limits. Some people might say it lacks stabilization, my opinion is that photographers used tripods ever since the invention of the camera. This should not be a reason not to buy a great quality device!

You can see some pictures we've made with the Pro 815 on our website:

http://www.magicphotoworld.com/galle...rd-holland.htm

http://www.magicphotoworld.com/galle...any/berlin.htm

http://www.magicphotoworld.com/galle.../lanzarote.htm
MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 4:26 PM   #20

Very nice shots. Great quality. I personally just went from the Panasonic FZ30 to the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D DSLR, both with Image Stabilization. To me IS is a major factor. I tripod is not always handy. YOu sdaid: "Some people might say it lacks stabilization, my opinion is that photographers used tripods ever since the invention of the camera. This should not be a reason not to buy a great quality device!" Based on this logic, one could also say: Photographers were using film for over a hundred years, or Photographers were manually focusing forever, etc. Or: People were walking ever since they have had legs, so why buy a car? Point is that image stabilization is a big technological step forward and I would not want to be without it. And a lot of PRO's spend a fortune on image stabilized SLR lenses.

I got the best of all worlds inmy current setup. I have the KM5D with in-camera image stabilization and a Tamron 28-300 lens. An ultra-zoom, image stabilizedDSLR with low noise high ISO, which cost me about $700, lens included.

Rainer

http://euromaninla/zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote