Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old May 31, 2006, 3:56 AM   #21

rduve schreef:
Quote:
Based on this logic, one could also say: Photographers were using film for over a hundred years, or Photographers were manually focusing forever, etc. Or: People were walking ever since they have had legs, so why buy a car? Point is that image stabilization is a big technological step forward and I would not want to be without it. And a lot of PRO's spend a fortune on image stabilized SLR lenses.

Hi Rainer!

Thank's for your comment. I certainly agree that it's a great technology, but IS is not the main reason to like or dislike a model.

What I meant was: Do not judgecamera quality based on IS. There's more to adevice to make it a great camera.

"People were walking ever since they have had legs, so why buy a car?"

In my opinion would be:
"People should buy cars, they're great technology. But keep in mind thata built-inCD-playerdoesn't make it the best car..."

For example, http://www.dpreview.com calls the lack of IS "a serious flaw" and Dutch magazine Chip Foto-video took away 10 points of "Camera quality" because of the not present IS, in favor of the Panasonic DMC-FZ30. ThePanasonic has pretty bad noise even in the lowest ISO settings, but "won" the comparisson just by having IS.

MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 1:29 PM   #22

Point well taken. I certainly would not want to trade low noise at high ISO's for IS. I prefer both. I sold the FZ30 and went with the KM5D instead to have both.

It just does not make sense to me to spend the same money on a small sensor ultra-zoom when I can get a DSLR with IS and a 28-300 lens for about the same price.

PS: I'll be in Germany this summer and will stay in Amsterdam for a few days. So, I'll be driving through Groningen.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 2:56 PM   #23

The main reason I won't buy a DSLR is the size of the equiment. I use my camera only to take travel pictures. If you want to carry an 28-420mm lens and a body you'll needa complete backpack... And then there's also the cost of such a lens. It would cost me around twice as much as the Samsung.

Are you on holiday in Germany this summer?
If you'd like, contact me through the contact-formon our website so I can give you some tips for Amsterdam/Groningen!
Old May 31, 2006, 6:05 PM   #24

The Tamron 28-300XR lens costs $145 right now, since they have released a new model and are blowing this one out. It is lightweight and compact, and albeit not quite as fast at the tele-end (maximum aperture ranges from 3.5-6.3), it makes up for it with usable ISO up to 3200. So, I got it all-in-one without having to haul it in a truck. I alos have some longer and faster lenses aswell as a wide angle one, but I only take them with me if I want to. plus they still fit nicely into my camera bag. So, that was my choice, and I don't miss my FZ30 since I sold it. My only other camera is a Fuji F11 that I snap to my belt for instant snapshots.

My point is if I would get a large bulky camera like that, I might as well go DSLR. I get the same zoom range with slightly more weight and size (if at all, the KM5D might be smaller than the Samsung...), IS, for the same or less money. And the 10 times larger sensor DOES make a difference.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

PS: Not to diss your cam. I think Samsung is a worthwhile new competitior in the field of digital photography.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:09 AM   #25

Hi Rainer! I don't feel offended at all

I understand why you'd buy an DSLR.
A friend has a Canon 350D and has to carry all his equipment in a backpack. I supposed that's allways the case...

Maybe my next one will be one too.