Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:45 AM   #1

Where are your posts? It's been on the store shelves here for a while now,I am looking forward to S O M E O N E posting some pixshures....:roll:

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:31 PM   #2

I bought my Samsung Pro815 last Friday.
On my way home from the store i made the folowing photo.
I resized the photo, due too bandwith problems.
The photo can be seen at:
http://home.quicknet.nl/mw/prive/tru...32 x 1224).jpg

Greetings from The Netherlands
Grasparkiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:51 PM   #3

Here are some more pictures.

http://www.suse.de/~sh/samsung-pro815/
drz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

drz01 wrote:
Quote:

Not too impressive. Bad noise from ISO 200 and up. Makes that 15x zoom without image stabilization almost useless in anything but super bright lighting. Better off with either the Panasonic FZ30 or the Fuji S9000. Tough choice. For me it would be a no brainer, if either the FZ30 had lower noise or the S9000 had image stabilization. But the Samsung seems to have the drawbacks of both of those cameras, turning the 15x lens into dead weight unless you are prepared to lug around a tripod at all times.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 2:44 AM   #5

well, ok. But take our panasonic forum for example. We post pictures til the cows come home. We just keep'em coming. So I was hoping instead of links to other sites someone who has the camera would shoot something and post it here.

Kd
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:18 AM   #6

drz01 wrote:
Quote:

excellent excellent overview! glad i didn't wait for it and got the KM A200 instead.
longj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:52 PM   #7

I am still very interested and curious to see this camera in use by members. I am a little disappointed that Samsung chose not to add tothe appeal by including image stabization. However, in the right hands it might prove to be very capable. Looking forward to seeing something posted here. Thanks for the links to the pics so far, best regards,

KennethD
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:22 PM   #8

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
I am still very interested and curious to see this camera in use by members. I am a little disappointed that Samsung chose not to add tothe appeal by including image stabization. However, in the right hands it might prove to be very capable. Looking forward to seeing something posted here. Thanks for the links to the pics so far, best regards,

KennethD

Kenneth, I am sure you are already aware of it, but in case you have not seen them, here are the samples posted over on dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...ro815_samples/They look a lot better than what I had anticipated actually
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:37 AM   #9

The bigger the lense the more difficult is image stabilisation. Now Samsung's lense is a real monster. It is not only a 15x zoom, but it also uses the same old, fairly large 2/3 CCD, which is used in my CP8400 and many other 8 mp cameras. If they would have used Sony's 1/1.8 7 mp CCD the lense could have been made much smaller and the image quality slightly better. Perhaps then image stabilisation would have been possible. Schneider, Samsung's lense maker, has shown with their lense for the Kodak P850 that they can do optical image stabilisation rather well.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:25 AM   #10

Having been the owner of a Nikon F5, the Pro815 felt like a light weight miniature to me. I've only had mine for three days and hope to post some pix later. But I had to LOL about some of the comments elsewhere about this camera. Any camera with the equivalent of a 420 mm lens is going to need a tripod when shooting at that extension. Look at the press guys who do the sports pix - don't hear them complaining about having to use a tripod. And as a former press photog, I tell you this camera is pretty good.
Shooting in RAW mode I found the lens sharp from 28 to 420 (35 mm equivalent), and noticed only on one occasion a slight cyan halo around an image shot at 400.
Again, I'd like to comment that this isn't an expensive camera compared to a Canon EOS lens or a Nikon tele which could cost $20000 or more. Nor can we expect it will be as sharp as those. But as far as I can tell, it is excellent and performs well above its price range.
More later when I try it out for a week or two.
orpheus11 is offline   Reply With Quote