Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:02 PM   #1

When does this camera come out? Ive been reading about the specs, looks like an excellent camera...and i badly need to buy a new digital camera.

Anyone know is this is going to be something worth waiting for/spending $$$ on it?

Dan
red97vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:28 AM   #2

This is one of three cameras that replace Samsung's i6. Someone posted a link to info about them, somewhere in the Hybrid forum. I believe the linked pages said the three cameras are supposed to be for sale in September. The best way to determine when they are on the market is to do a search for the camera names occasionally on eBay.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1697

I have an i6, and after taking 500-600 stills, videos and audio recordings while travelling the last two weeks, I have to say I've never been as happy with a camera as the i6. And now I have to be dissatisfied because the new ones are even better.

The only big complaint I have about the i6 is the confusing menu system. You can get utterly lost, or be unable to find things you need. The NV3's thumbwheel should fix a lot of that. The higher resolution video on the NV3 is very attractive.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:35 PM   #3

BH Photo Video lists the Smasung NV3 as "Approx. arrival September". Price $299.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&image.y=0

dcresource posted a positive full review on the NV3:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/samsung/nv3-review/

Looking at the sample pictures, the still image quality is decent (I would even say good) up to ISO 400 - I'd rather have some grainy luminance noise like you see in ASA 400 or 800 films, over heavy noise reduction that blurs the edges, smudges the detail and makes it look like watercolor painting (like the Fuji V10). The color noise is also acceptable up to ISO 400 IMO. The pictures are a little soft but no worse than my (very) old Minolta Xt which also has the internal folding lens design. I know the lens is not a Zeiss Tessar of the Sony T series but it is good quality for the price.

The movie mode is also promising - you can use the optical zoom during filming which is a big plus. It also uses MPEG4 codec that records more per MB - the sample movie from dcresource uses XVID codec, but I don't know what type of codec the camera originally uses and whether you have to convert it afterwards. The sample movie shows some motion artefacts of the cable car (around the windows), and I notice the video bitrate is about 1.5 Mbps, lower than my Sanyo Xacti C6's highest quality setting (3 Mpbs) at 640 X 480 pixels, but I don't know whether this is the highest quality setting of the NV3. I hope that if there is a higher quality setting at about 3 Mbps, the video would be as smooth as my Sanyo. I can't find any user manual from the Samsung site (they don't even have "digital cameras" listed in their products!), which would provide detailed specifications.

I really like to have another "folded lens" pocket camera, because there is no extending moving parts exposed to the elements. This one looks really good in terms of value for money. I bought a Fuji V10 (which is not a folded lens, but still pocket size camera) but sold it quickly mainly because I don't like the heavy noise reduction, even at the relatively low ISO of 200-400 (its poorer low light performance than the F10 is less of an issue to me). Apparently the Fuji Z1/3 uses the same 5 MP sensor as the V10, so they are more or less the same. The Sanyo Xacti C6 is an excellent digital camcorder, but I find the picture quality rather average (I think a combination of heavy noise reduction and poorer lens quality), and there is a big manufacturing quality issue of "bad pixels". Oh well maybe I'll wait a little for the price to drop!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:18 PM   #4

I am in the UK and just picked up a Samsung NV3 about 2 hours ago. Cost me £229.99 which seems a great deal to me.
getti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:11 AM   #5

If you do a search for the NV3 on eBay, there are a few places selling them.

I suspect 1.5Mbps is the maximum setting for video. This would correspond to the best setting on the i6, and the smaller file sizes than the Digilife DDV-920's 1.8Mbps. You could verify this by checking the memory capacity numbers for it.

I also suspect that if it could do 3Mpbs, there would be a 30 frames per second mode for the 720x480 video, since the 20fps it has seems a bit lame.

Still, if you want a half decent dsc, with a half decent video mode, and MP3 and PMP capabilities, the NV3 and the two more expensive versions are the obvious, if not only, choices.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:42 PM   #6

Hi sgspirit - I totally agree with your conclusion about the video bitrate. dcresource quotes "1 GB holds 68 min of 640 X 480 video" - I know you cannot estimate the data bitrate by simple calculation (because there is additional data compression which does not show in the actual numbers of the video and audio bitrates). However, by comparing with the Sanyo C6 (1 GB holds 42 min of highest quality (3 Mbps video bitrate) 640 X 480 video), it works out to be approximately 1.8 Mbps.

When I read the dcresource review more thoroughly, they did mention the video format - called SDC, which is apparently one of the MPEG4 "container" format. The review also mention XVID codec and a "converter"are included in the software package with the camera. This probably explains why the posted sample video uses XVID codec. Does your i6 make video in this SDC format, which you have to convert afterwards? If the video codec is based on XVID, I wonder if I can just change the video file extension from SDC to AVI, and it will play when XVID codec has been installed (or any media players that support XVID internally).

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:49 AM   #7

The i6 creates .avi files while taking videos. It can replay them without any processing. It will sometimes replay clips from my Digilife DDV-920 without further processing, but sometimes those clips hang the i6. Any output from video editing software has to be run through the conversion software before it will playback on the i6.

I believe that the output of the bundled conversion software is something different, such as .sdc. I've tested it, and it does work. I couldn't tell if it costs any quality.

I read somewhere that this .sdc format is a "wrapper" on the .avi file. Which, I suppose, if you knew enough about it, you could fake it. But probably you'd need to do more than change the file extension. You'd need to edit the header etc.

I was reading various reviews of the NV3 today, and was disappointed to conclude that the 720x480 mode seems to have been used, not to give higher resolution, but to support wide-screen format. Since I don't have a wide-screen monitor or tv, this would be pretty wasted for me, especially given the loss of framerate in that mode.

Looks like I'll be hanging onto the i6 until something comes out with less aggressive compression.

The NV3 has a number of other superior features, such as a thumbwheel mode control, sound while zooming in video, and a slower zoom. But not enough to justify the hassle of upgrading.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:40 AM   #8

its already out by now, ive ordered mine for £192 which is a HUGE saving he he, the fun im gonna have:?
shaun1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:47 AM   #9

What do you think... This samsung nv3 or the casio ex-s770?

I really need a thin camera!

/Rob
gazkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:42 PM   #10

Go for the NV-3. It available at Circuit City.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote