Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:30 PM   #1

Hello all. Just a quikc q re the Hd1. I have treid to download samples off te hd1 but my Powerbook 1ghz g4 stutters big time on play back. So I'm asking that once you have all your Hd 720 clips downloaded onto your computer it then needs to edited or at least burnt to disc. Is it that you have to burn it as avi file so that your dvd player plays it and how does it go form a dvd player to the Hd lcd screen I have. Sorry if I have missed something totaly obvious here. All the best Simon
kingsimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:38 PM   #2

Your screen may be HD but is your DVD player?

If not, Vegas 6.0d will let you render SD DVD's from the HD1's HD files.Vegas isgreat for editing with the HD1. It accepts the files directly, allows you to create a HDV intermediate (although the HD1 doesn't shoot HDV) and then conform the original HD1 MP4 files when rendering.

You could buy a HD DVD player but it's a little early for that, in my opinion.

I would favour connecting the camera directly to your HD screen while you are waitinf for HD DVD's to mature. The cam comes with a component output, which is excellent for connection to many HD screens..

Videolan (VLC) player may help you play back the clips on your PC. It's a free download which is generally accepted as spyware free.
byrnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

<Quote> If not, Vegas 6.0d will let you render SD DVD's from the HD1's HD files.Vegas isgreat for editing with the HD1. It accepts the files directly, allows you to create a HDV intermediate (although the HD1 doesn't shoot HDV) and then conform the original HD1 MP4 files when rendering. </Quote>

Is this the $400! Vegas you are talking about? :shock:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vegasvideo.html

That is a bit pricey for my simple home video needs. Is there anything in the say... sub $50 range than will do simple merging and splicing of video clips from the Sanyo HD that will burn it to DVD (or put in in a format I can burn to DVD)?

This is one reason I am thinking of holding off on the Sanyo HD and going with the C6 for now. I really need something that I can burn the videos to DVD or SVCD. Else, I can see me running out of HDD space quickly.

Edit
I noticed that MP4CAM2AVI has release prelim support for the Sanyo HD MP4 Files.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/
I wonder if it suffers any quality loss in the conversion. Would appreciate anyone that has used the beta version of the update to post opinions.

Thx,
Hotoru
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:08 PM   #4

"I noticed that MP4CAM2AVI has release prelim support for the Sanyo HD MP4 Files [...] I wonder if it suffers any quality loss in the conversion. Would appreciate anyone that has used the beta version of the update to post opinions.'

I have heard that MP4CAM2AVI does not re-encode, but re-package.

In other words, absolutely no quality loss.

I certainly couldn't see any when I tried the new HD1 support pre-release.

But you will also need to install divx 6if you want MP4CAM2AVI to work comprehensively.

Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:08 PM   #5

The pre-release is free to download, just do a search for their site..

Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:58 PM   #6

Thx for the info byrnlan. I guess I could have tried it myself with one of the sample videos from Steves Site :?
Does the free DIVX 6 still put lots of spyware on your computer? Used to saddle you with Gator/Gain stuff.
Hotoru

byrnalan wrote:
Quote:
In other words, absolutely no quality loss.

I certainly couldn't see any when I tried the new HD1 support pre-release.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:13 PM   #7

You can use the open source Xvid instead of Divx. MP4Cam2Avi canoptionally put aFourCC toindicate anXvid file (see advanced settings).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:28 PM   #8

Ahh cool, but if I use Xvid how would you play on home DVD player? Can you convert Xvid (or for that matter Divx) to regular DVD format? Or do you have to burn to Divx and then use a Divx compatible DVD player?
TIA,
Hotoru

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
You can use the open source Xvid instead of Divx. MP4Cam2Avi canoptionally put aFourCC toindicate anXvid file (see advanced settings).
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:26 PM   #9

The powerbook's CPU cannot handle the playback of the large HD files generated by the HD1. I had the same problem with my pb. I have since upgraded to the MacBook Pro and playback is good.
w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:37 PM   #10

<Quote> Ahh cool, but if I use Xvid how would you play on home DVD player? Can you convert Xvid (or for that matter Divx) to regular DVD format? Or do you have to burn to Divx and then use a Divx compatible DVD player?
</Quote>

Think I answered my own question. Looks like AVI2DVD is a free program that will convert DIVX and XVID files to DVD format. Here is a how to use guide.
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...vd_avi2dvd.cfm

When I get a chance I will try to convert one of Steves video files to DVD format and see if I can see any quality loss. (Thought it seems a waste to burn a 10sec DVD..hehe) If I could get this working might be a definate choice of the Sanyo HD over the C6. Is $250 more at Plemix.com. Anyone know what the shipping is from Plemix the shipping link in their FAQ is broken.

TIA
Hotoru