Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:36 AM   #1

Find wilddigital.com has good price on HD1A

Its site looks similar to Broadway Photo. Are they same company?

I heard that Broadway Photo will always overcharge your credit card and customers were
screwed out of extra dollars for NOTHING!! If the wilddigital.com is a member of Broadway family, I will stay away from them.

Joseph_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:21 AM   #2

Yes the two sites look remarkably similar. I cannot find any street addresses (like many web stores), and their fax numbers are different (both with "718" area code doesn't prove anything; "1-800" numbers also mean nothing). Sometimes the "Terms & Conditions" may give away a street address, but not in these two sites (they did their homework!). This WildDigital site doesn't even have any description in "About Us".

Of course these guys are very clever to disguise themselves by opening several web stores. There is just no way to tell.

They usually make the "VeriSign" logo VERY BIG (they also say "Shop safely. 21 days. Satisfaction guaranteed") - remember VeriSign guarantee that the internet payment transaction is safe, but it does _NOT_ guarantee your purchase from them is "safe" or satisfactory. This is a very typical "cheap" way to mislead potential customers.

I also looked through this very useful site:

http://www.resellerratings.com

but their name is not on it - maybe because it is a very new site. These guys open a new web store once every few months.

Generally I only buy from reputable web stores with good reviews and a street address. I find that buying from unknown web stores is no better than buying from eBay - there is no guarantee that the items are not grey market or even refurbs (which can be packaged by the manufacturers in unopened condition).
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Administrator

Do yourself a favor and buy from a well established and reputable vendor.

There is a sucker born every minute. Don't be the next one.

These guys don't even have an address listed on their web site that I can find, and a whois lookup of the domain name shows an anonymous registration with the contacts c/o Network Solutions in Herndon, VA (yet, the phone number on the vendor's web site is New York).

Now, why would a reputable business want to remain anonymous? :-)

Suggested Reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

Always check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com

If they're not listed, I'd avoid them.

If they have a small number of reviews, I'd avoid them (since vendors have been known to "pad" their own ratings with glowing reviews, and the same old vendors with new business names and web sites pop up often).

Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com and see how their prices compare to other *reputable* dealers. They have fair prices on their gear.

Sometimes you can find a lower price on a camera body at http://www.buydig.com (a.k.a., http://www.beachcamera.com ).

Just watch out for the accessories prices and "packages" (as these tend to have a lot of lower quality junk that you may not want or need). Ditto for prices on name brand memory cards (Sandisk, Lexar, etc.). They've got to make their money somewhere. ;-)

There is not a lot of profit margin in digital camera products anymore. It's a very competitive market. If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:22 PM   #4

I ordered a vpc-c6 off wilddigital.com, i had absolutely no problems with them. They do make you call them to "confirm" your order and try to sell you warranties and extra batteries, which is slightly annoying. They seemed really busy and had to call me back after i called them to confirm, so it took a little while. The price was as advertised though. The camera even showed up the next day.
emac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:24 PM   #5
Administrator

emac wrote:
Quote:
I ordered a vpc-c6 off wilddigital.com, i had absolutely no problems with them. They do make you call them to "confirm" your order and try to sell you warranties and extra batteries, which is slightly annoying. They seemed really busy and had to call me back after i called them to confirm, so it took a little while. The price was as advertised though. The camera even showed up the next day.
My condolences, since the camera they have on their web site does not appear to to intended for sale in the U.S. (their listing shows it as "import" versus a model intended for the U.S., and mentions a "Wild Digital" versus Manufacturer's warranty).

The term we use for gear like that is "gray market", and manufacturers will often refuse to service a product that was purchased outside of the authorized distribution network, in order to discourage this practice.

Quote:
Import Model. Comes with the Wild Digital Warranty - 90 Days Labor, 1 Year Parts
http://www.wilddigital.com/product.a...amp;l=Shopping

Of course, I've seen my share of horror stories about people actually trying to get gray market gear fixed by a store selling it. Hopefully, it won't break on you and require any service.

You may also want to check your credit card statement for any unauthorized shipping and insurance charges (a commonly used tactic by some of the better known Brooklyn Based Scam artists). If it were my card, I'd cancel it and get a new one.

Good Luck with the new camera.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:39 PM   #6

i check my credi card activity religiously and have a card where i'm not responsible for fradulent charges. i'll be sure to check even closer now.

i'm well aware of some of the skechy "business" practices of brooklyn based stores. i figured i'd take my chances considering i live less than a mile from there and could go find them if need be. i got lucky and recieved a camera with no dead pixels at all. that was my main concern when ordering. i definately don't reccommend ordering from these places normally, but i decided to take a chance.
emac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:48 PM   #7
Administrator

To each their own. There is no way that I'd do business with a new store with no customer reviews at http://www.reselleratings.com

It's also not uncommon for a brand new storefront to try and put up a good front for a while in order to get some good reviews, before reverting to the more commonly used tactics.

I'm not familiar with this vendor. But, given the MO (no address listed on web site, anonymous site registration, Imported gear with store warranty, order confirmation request to try and sell you the accessories), it sounds like the same old tactics you see from the better known Brooklyn based vendors to me.

Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:40 AM   #8

:sad:i hate to say it, but i was one of those fools that just went for a deal there and got taken big time. i was looking for a garmin nuvi 880 to use to take my son to college in georiga. they had it marked for 607, and i read the screen to see what came with it and at that time they showed the box and repeated what was on the box. the unit with preloaded maps, suction mount, cigarette liter charger, and wire for future download for computer, plus free shipping. so i thought after i added the things i wanted it would come to 850 at most. well boy did it go wrong from there, first i order the unit and said i wanted the 5 yr warrenty and a friction mount and some screen protectors, so that brought it to 770 about so i bought it and thought i was done. next day we get a call and were asked if we would like maps put on the unit? and i said what are you talking about it came preloaded with maps, which he then preseeds to tell me this bullshit story how this is a model from japen and not here so they get theres not loaded, and i said bull as it says right in the add it comes with maps and right on the box itself it says preloaded and he still says no thats why they can sell it so low so when i was done i ended up paying 1025.00 now this was not the end as i tried to return it, i called garmin themselves and asked them if there units come preloaded or if he ever heard of this to which he said, no there always preloaded and that the camara shops are just scams places that they dont deal with. he said thet do deal with amazon.com so i called them and priced one out which i could of got for 875 and that was also with an ac charger, and a leather case, and a carrying case for all your stuff plus they said theres were for sure preloaded with maps. so when i called this guy back all he did is want to give me a 20 case even though i was out 300, did not know if this was new or refurbished as when we charged it the first night the next day the charge was gone, when you go try to register it they want you to put in the serial number which they tell you is under the battery- well i checked all the numbers on all the papers they sent me and there is not one number that matches anything on this unit. and the best part of all when i was trying to get my money back i kept fighting with this one clown on the phone and then i got to the point i said, look let me to to your manager im done talking to you, he says that wont help, i said let me talk to him im done talking to you i want some one above you, he says fine and slames the phone down- 1 min later he comes back and trys to pass him self off as the manager, i said nice try asshole im done with you get me someone else. so the next guy comes on and he says the same thing pretty much intill one point he goes ok you can send it back, and i sad what he said ya you just wont get your shipping and i said so how much are we looking at, well you will get about 850 from 1025. as of right now its in my credit card holders hands, if they cant do anything then im stuck, but i read 1 girl on another site had the same problem and used her american express and they got it back, unfotuneitly i used a visa so will see.

brigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:59 AM   #9

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
Yes the two sites look remarkably similar. I cannot find any street addresses (like many web stores), and their fax numbers are different (both with "718" area code doesn't prove anything; "1-800" numbers also mean nothing). Sometimes the "Terms & Conditions" may give away a street address, but not in these two sites (they did their homework!). This WildDigital site doesn't even have any description in "About Us".

Of course these guys are very clever to disguise themselves by opening several web stores. There is just no way to tell.

They usually make the "VeriSign" logo VERY BIG (they also say "Shop safely. 21 days. Satisfaction guaranteed") - remember VeriSign guarantee that the internet payment transaction is safe, but it does _NOT_ guarantee your purchase from them is "safe" or satisfactory. This is a very typical "cheap" way to mislead potential customers.

I also looked through this very useful site:

http://www.resellerratings.com

but their name is not on it - maybe because it is a very new site. These guys open a new web store once every few months.

Generally I only buy from reputable web stores with good reviews and a street address. I find that buying from unknown web stores is no better than buying from eBay - there is no guarantee that the items are not grey market or even refurbs (which can be packaged by the manufacturers in unopened condition).
i was about to suggest this site too

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/WildDigital
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote