Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:51 AM   #1

Has anyone else had a similar problem to the following:

I take some video footage on an empty SD card. View the clip after taking the video... everything looks fine. I go on to take several more clips and photos and later in the day, when I go to review or import the files to my PC, I find that some of the videos are missing! I did not delete anything from the camera while using it (I never do) and I can tell from the file names (ex. 100-0001, 100-0002, 100-0004) that there is a gap and a file is gone. Very very frustrating and disturbing. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't know what to do.
Thanks.

-Ray
raydelapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:19 AM   #2

Hasn't happened to me (so far). Could it be a problem with your SD card? Does it happen with a different SD card make? Also keep in mind that NAND flash RAM (used in SD cards) has a limited life expectancy, it will only support so many write cycles.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:26 PM   #3

Both the camera and the card are less than a year old. The card is a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card and I have not used it that much in all that time. Is there any way to check the card?

Thanks.
raydelapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

raydelapena wrote:
Quote:
Both the camera and the card are less than a year old. The card is a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card and I have not used it that much in all that time. Is there any way to check the card?

Thanks.
You have to suspect the card is faulty. Or may be it is not compatible with C6, if you had not used it long.

The make and age of the card is irrelevant. Anything can happen.

I would not use the card again to take video if I were you
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:35 PM   #5

If you were able to watch the clip before losing it, it has been successfully recorded on the card. Therefore either the video has been deleted (by instrument problem or by human error), or it has been overwritten (instrument/ card error).

If this happens to you again in the future, you should do this.

Stop using the memory card immediately (to avoid over-writing of data on the card).

Take the card out, put it into a card reader and hook it up to the computer, and use one of the file recovery programs to see if the video (or picture, or whatever) files are still there.

If you don't know anything about file recovery programs, here is a freeware one:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
(download)

I have never heard of a problem of video or picture files "lost" by the camera. I looked through the keystroke sequence - it is not likely you accidentally delete the files by pressing the wrong buttons, because there is always an extra confirmation step before the deletion.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:58 AM   #6

Hmm ..... PC Inspector cannot recover pictures and movie files from the SD card (which has not been formatted), but this program specifically designed for digital media recovery works:

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

(the picture recovery function is freeware)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote