Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:39 PM   #1

I presently use the Sanyo C5 on my quail hunting trips and I love it. I "edit" within the camera and download from the camera directly to a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive. Then I pick and choose from the scenes on the hard drive and crank out a DVD very simply.

I'm finally ready to order an HD1 and wonder if the above procedure will work or if I will have to do any sort of conversion of the files within my computer. I've read of this procedureelsewhere and it sounds like Greek to me. I'm hoping the HD1 is just as simple to make DVDs from as the C5 is.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 4:58 AM   #2

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
I presently use the Sanyo C5 on my quail hunting trips and I love it. I "edit" within the camera and download from the camera directly to a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive. Then I pick and choose from the scenes on the hard drive and crank out a DVD very simply.

I'm finally ready to order an HD1 and wonder if the above procedure will work or if I will have to do any sort of conversion of the files within my computer. I've read of this procedureelsewhere and it sounds like Greek to me. I'm hoping the HD1 is just as simple to make DVDs from as the C5 is.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
How did you "download" C5 video into the DVD recorder?

If you connect the C5 with AV cable to the DVD recorder and record in real time then it can be done the same.

Or did you put the SD card into the DVD recorder card slot? If so the DVD recorder support the video format? If so then you have to check wheter the recorder support the HD1 file format.

It all depends on my question on the first line.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3

I used the AV cable, played and recorded in real time......probably not the most efficient system but it works okay and I understand what I'm doing at least.

My DVD recorder does have an SD slot but it will only take stills from the C5, no videos.

As I understand it, I can do the same thing with the HD1? Is there any advantage or increase in quality if I record in HD mode or would I be as well off in SD mode? Will the HD still record in wide screen in SD mode? Thanks for the input! Jack
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4

Hi Setter Dog:

When you are using the AV cable, the digital camera or camcorder automatically convert the stored digital video into analog signalas output. Therefore, you can use the AV cable to transfer video on any devices equipped with this output.

The only question is: what is the video resolution in this analog AV output?

I don't know the answer, but I may presume that, since AV analog output was developedin the "old days", its signal outputmay be inferior tothe high resolution of modern digital media.

Do you notice any significant decrease in video resolution (especially "blocks", which is an indication of artificial digital zooming) when you transfer your C5's video (640 X 480) to DVD (about 720 X 480) through the AV cable? (Yes I do know therewill be some "stretching" of the video to make it compliant with DVD, but apart from that ...)

You should compare the quality of the recorded DVD with (1) playing the video directly from the C5 via the same AV cable (2) transferring the video to a computer and play it on the monitor. I guess (2) should give you the best representation of the true quality of the original video.

Remember, the quality of your television set (standard tube TV, vs. high-definition or wide screen TV) also affects the quality of the video. If you don't watch the video (either directly from the camera or recorded on DVD) on a HDTV, even if there is loss of quality through the AV cable, you will not notice it.

I guess the bottomline is: whatever works for your particular setup is fine.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

Hi Blindsight,

Thanks for the comments. Actually, it seems to me that the DVDs I make as described are a little better quality than the direct playback through the TV. I don't think that's possible but it seems that way.

Quality is not my major incentive with these videos. I use this little camcorder way out in the boonies where I simply would not have a larger camcorder with me. If there is some way to improve the quality in these small camcorders, that would be nice of course.

Although I will likely use my HD1 in HD mode, my main incentive for getting it is the 10x zoom. That is the only shortcoming in my C5,......for my purposes. Thanks again!

Jack
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

Then it is just a simple analogue recording as you did with the C5. You will find no problem. I do not understand your worry.

The quality of resulting DVD depends on 3 stage factors:

1. The original quality of your video shot in the camera

2. The quality setting that your video is recorded into the harddisk.

3. The resulting quality setting when the harddisk video is recorded into DVD.

If all are in their highest quality settings you should have a very good quality (better than TV recordings) DVD.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:56 AM   #7

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
As I understand it, I can do the same thing with the HD1? Is there any advantage or increase in quality if I record in HD mode or would I be as well off in SD mode? Will the HD still record in wide screen in SD mode? Thanks for the input! Jack
If possible (SD card and harddisk space permitting) you should configure all in the highest settings.

You will need a 4GB SD card which gives you about one hour in the camera. Then record in the DVD harddisk in XP.

All can be reused after the video has been recordedd into DVD for keep.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:06 PM   #8

Blindsight and Celsius2,

Thanks for the really good input! It seems that I don't really have a problem and that if I'm happy now with the C5 quality, I'll be evenhappier with the HD1 results. I'm sure I'll want to get a video editing program soon but for right now I'm mainly interested in saving all this "good stuff" to DVDs.

Jack
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:35 PM   #9

The only issue I see is that you are introducing an extra conversion to analog and back, which will degrade your video somewhat. That is, you will be taking the digital MP4 file from the HD1, converting it to analog and feeding it into your DVD recorder, which then does a conversion back to digital MPEG-2 to store on the DVD. But since image quality isn't your top concern, then isn't that much of a problem.

I'm not sure it makes sense to run the HD1 in HD mode though. First, you need to be using the component cables to connect the HD1 to your DVD recorder. The regular AV cables won't support hi-def or progressive scan. Even if it does support hi-def progressive via component inputs, the DVD itself only supports 480p resolution. The DVD recorder will probably produce a slightly better recording with the higher resolution input, but you will trade off against the amount of video you can record on one SD card (which may or may not matter to you).

Remember, improved video is contingent on your recorder being able to take a component input. If not, I wouldn't expect the output of the HD1 to be significantly superior to a C5/C6.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:09 PM   #10

If Settog Dog was happy with the C5 result, he certainly will be happy with HD1 doing the same.

I disagree there is doubt whether HD1 doing the same will be any better.

It should be noticeably better.

The C5 would be more like VCD quality while video "recorded" from HD1 will really be DVD quality.

It may be a primitive way to do it. But it is fool proof and may take less time than converting through a PC. And the resulty could well be about the saem between the 2 methods.

So Setter Dog. Go ahead and do as before. You should have good resulitng DVD.