Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:58 AM   #1

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/10609/sanyo_xacti_cg6/

I'd really like a firmware update for SDHC compatibility on my ole C6, any chance of that Sanyo?

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:54 AM   #2

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Besides SDHC, what else does it do different from C6?
See my earlier post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:21 AM   #3

Caelum,.....I noted that Sanyo's site claims only DIGITAL stabilization for this new C6 model. One significant improvement, however, is the 2.5 inch screen.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:28 AM   #4

Setter, look at the first listed new feature at the top of that page.But it looks like it's a new stills only feature,anti-blur using a gyro, which is what optical stabilizationnormallyis, but this could just be a bad jap->eng translation. Perhaps the gyro can't be used continuously for video? in CG6 Specs:

Still Image Correction: Blur correction with gyro sensor

From Japanese page:

Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5

There is one other significant improvement in the CG6 (besides the 4GB card capability and the gyro), and that is the ability to charge the battery over the USB cable. That should have been in all the Xacti cameras, IMO

Akihabara News has some photos at URL http://tinyurl.com/o8wyu
I don't like the play/record press-button. I hope there is a mistake in the photo

The obvious question for SANYO is, since they have stated publicly that Sanyo USA will not import the CG6, when will a firmware upgrade to 4 gig SD cards be available for the C6?

I can format 4 gig cards in my C6, but then I get a message saying that the SD card is full. If I put 2 gig of sundry files onto the 4G card (using my laptop), the C6 will then correctly see it has 2 gig free. The problem seems just a software bug, so where is the update, please?

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:54 AM   #6

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
The obvious question for SANYO is, since they have stated publicly that Sanyo USA will not import the CG6, when will a firmware upgrade to 4 gig SD cards be available for the C6?
The question has again been asked to the factory. Hopefully an answer will return.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7

Thank you.
That's service with a smile.:-) Much appreciated
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:06 PM   #8

You know what, I bet they're not importing the CG6 because they have something newer/better coming very soon (perhaps a C7 for Christmas? Being as S7/E7 areavailable rightnow?).

And I furthermore bet no firmware update for any of the ole C6s because of the new video camera coming.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:27 PM   #9

Hey Grunchy,

You may be right,....a C7 should find a great market here. Not everyone cares about HD but would like a 10X zoom, 2.5 inch screen, and optical image stabilizer. While they are at it, maybe a viewfinder?

What does Sanyo typically do, introduce things in Japan, then bring them here or do they sometimes skip the Japan intro?

Oh well, we can hope......
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:57 PM   #10

You know, I am just focused on making my C6 do the job I want it to do, and waiting for a successor to the HD1a. I have shot a little low-light footage on the HD1a, and it isn't all that bad, once the blueness has been taken out ouf the shadows, the gamma rebalanced, and the noise filtered out with DNR (in Vegas). But the HD1a still has a fragile "mouse" button, nowhere near as positive as the C6 when one is under pressure. Which I usually am when I need these things to work just right...

Also, the way that you don't get to see the actual exposure until you hit the "Record" button in the HD1a is unacceptable to me. What use is a manual exposure when you can't see an accurate preview until you hit the record button, and then you can't adjust anything, because the controls are locked at that point:sad:

I found an idea for a mounting bracket which allows me to feed power to the C6 for longer shooting sessions at http://www.bophoto.com/HDV and so now the 4 gig card is really the only show-stopper with the C6, as far as I am concerned. I have shot a little conference footage with the C6, and it worked out just fine, on a small tripod, and with lots of computing power thrown into Vegas to compensate for low level linearity, noise, and etc. Which is fine, cos I have lots of computing power to give it...

So all I need is a way to use a 4 gig SD card and I can go away and just shoot video - at least until the next HD generation comes along...