Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:16 PM   #21

Do you have any example video clips that you could share? I just want to see if what I saw on Sanyo's website is a fair representation of what it can do since I will mainly be using it during the day. If it is, then it will work quite well with my son. The Aiptek works quite well for this, so I would imagine the Sanyo should do as well, if not better.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:51 PM   #22

I was only shooting short test clips and they are lousy, but they can tell you some things I guess. I was mainly taking stills so I didn't have all the settings optimized for video, including no image stabilization on in the street fair shots. I posted them at an unlinked page at http://www.janmcdonald.com/videos.html I hope they play better in your browser than in mine.

I will probably take them down pretty quickly since I don't want anyone to think these shots are something I want to advertise!
jmcdonald99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:56 PM   #23

I must have put too many spaces in that link: http://www.janmcdonald.com/videos.html
If this doesn't work you may have to type it in.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:34 PM   #24

Thanks! Those are just the kind of realworld video clips I was looking for. They look very nice indeed. I tried converting a couple to Video CD Format (ie 352x240) and they convert very cleanly. Video CD conversion is very prone to artifacting if the source is not very clean also.

Out of interest, if you want to compare my Aiptek PVR camcorder, here is a video clip from it for comparison:

http://media.putfile.com/PVR3

You can see it picks up sound very well. This is a $150 fixed focus camera. That video clip looks great, but unfortunately the camera suffers from this effect:

http://media.putfile.com/PVR5

(Hint: look at the Grill on the bus!) and if you don't think that's too bad, have a look at this one:

http://media.putfile.com/PVR3104

The side of the house is all but obscured in a rainbow distortion.It seems like they are oversharpening the video which would explain why it is most pronounced when there are close horizontal lines or a lot of detail in the scene. My previous Aiptek IS-DV didn't suffer from this and the similar MPVR doesn't. They are aware of the problem but I have no idea as to when they may fix this since they haven't goiven me any feedback on this, hence why I was attracted to this Sanyo since I need something soon. The Sanyo C6, in my opinion does not offer twice the video quality of the Aipteks, so I do not think it's worth spending $400 on one, but this one I think is a good price.

This Sanyo has now definitely been placed near the top of my shortlist!

Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:12 AM   #25

Still can't really decide if the C6 might be worth it for me. I was disappointed to read that the ISO increase is only in video. I think it might be a real factor that the screen display on the C40 in sunlight is lousy - it's usually very bright sunlight here - but I don't know what the C6 is like, just that there aren't complaints that I've seen. Maybe I need to play around more and see if I can make it work better. I'm not sure the 6 megapixels matter that much to me compared to the longer zoom on the C40. I just noticed that the C6 went down to $400 on Amazon (I won't buy from places like prestigecamera). Still, that's $170 more, a good part of the way to another camera.

Oh well, ambivalence is my normal state of mind.

Thanks for the links and I see what you mean. There is a flicker reduction for video on the C40 but I haven't tried it yet.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:25 AM   #26

Just saw the C6 on Amazon through one of their partners at $279.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Y&v=glance

Not sure what to make of that - it's much less than anyone else but says it's new. I think amazon guarantees anything from their partners.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:28 AM   #27

The Gotcha I see is that they won't accept returns. Still...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:07 AM   #28

I ordered my C6 from CircuitCity.com for $399, much less than in their store, and then picked it up from the local store. The first one had a hot pixel in video, and went straight back, the second unit was fine.

I emailed a seller from Amazon to see if their product had a US warranty, and received a vague response which I assumed meant that it didn't. In my case, I wanted to be able to return any unit with a patchy CCD, so I had to buy from the biggies.

I took my C6 outside tonight to shoot movie-mode in darkness, and was surprised that it saw just about as well as I did. My Optura 300 on 'lowlight' (1/30 sec+processing) gave better color saturation at these low light levels (way below 30 Lux), but the C6 at 1/30 sec beat the Optura 300 at 1/60 sec. Which is what I would expect, I guess. I have been very happy with the actual footage I have taken so far (at a conference last weekend). You have to use manual settings for ASA and focus (the focus tends to 'hunt' in low light). I prefer to leave white-balance on "Sunlight" and then compensate color temperature in Photoshop or Vegas. The auto whitebalance is also very flakey at low light levels.

Make sure you select "soft" from the 'options' screen. If your colors are looking saturated it is probably because 'vivid' is selected. The soft mode defeats excessive sharpening, and a lot of resulting MP4 quantization noise.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:21 PM   #29

Thanks for the info - your experience with ASA and auto focus matches mine on the C40. I wasn't using vivid in my outdoor clips - it was set on normal, but I'm pleased with the results - bright color but not overwhelming.

I had already ordered the C6 from Amazon before I read your post, but I found a vendor who accepts returns and Amazon also guarantees a product in good condition, so I'll hope for the best. I have never had a bad experience with Amazon. The description said "factory-sealed" box so I assume that includes warranty, but I will check very closely. The price was $275.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:30 PM   #30

It just dropped to $199 so I guess it's calling me LOL

I noticed for the C6 complaints about stuck pixels. Are the Xactis plagued by this problem or is it about on par with other cameras?

I just don't want to go through what happened with my Minolta, where I had to exchange it three times! I can't accept anything less than a perfect CCD as stuck pixels drive me nuts.