Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:14 PM   #31

The 3x3 averaging algorithm used in the C6 means that any individual pixel which is stuck will only give 28/255 of a full signal, which is not white. Hot pixels are therefore usually only a bother at low light levels.

The C6 CCD itself, on ASA400 in 6M high mode, gives about 10/255 peak noise. If you use Photoshop to amplify up these low levels you will see a veritable kaleidascope of bright pixels, with differing colors (set PS levels at about 6-8 ). Very few pixels are hot above those levels, and they can be recognized by the software which specializes in making low-light images look pretty (I use 'Noise Ninja').

On video, the 3x3 averaging, plus some form of dark-tone filtering (which is a pain, because it introduces non-linearities) combine to give a pretty well low-noise performance at levels above about 30Lux (60 Lux if you are picky). At lowest light levels you will need to use filtering. As I said elsewhere, I use Dynamic Noise Reduction in Vegas, and Sony Color Curves to compensate for the dark-tone nonlinearity.

It is hard to say the Xacti is 'plagued' by this problem, as one of my Canon Optura 300s was delivered new with 2 hot pixels. The problem is not unique to Sanyo. As I said above, I wanted a (relatively) clean imager so much that I was prepared to buy from a name brand retailer to make sure I got a trouble-free product.

This is clearly less of a problem at lower ASA, when you have better lighting conditions. I didn't see any stuck pixels, only 'noisy' 'hot' ones, which is pretty common with all the high sensitivity CCD imagers, I think.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:20 AM   #32

Well looks like the decision was made for me as it went back up to just under $300! I was goign to order but hesitated one day too long. The $199 was the calm before the storm. I guess I kept wondering why this camera was being reduced to much compared to the others. That'll teach me!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:58 AM   #33

I just bought the Xacti C6 for €280 afterI lost my C5. The C5 had terrible low-light performance but the videos have been much better than other digicam's videos. And the C5 / C6 size is that of a ultra compact digicam.

I'm very happy so farwith the C6. It has some new useful features like focus noise reduction and the photos and videos are better than the C5's, especially for low-light. The lamp scene modus allows you to capture photos without visible light and without flash (VGA) at a very high ISO rate (4s).

If you want I can send you some very nice sample movies.
puper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:45 AM   #34

Puper78,...Would it be too much trouble for you to listsome differences between the C5 and C6? For example, I had not heard that the zoom noise had been dampened. Is the focus any better or are there any other features? My C5 isa great little camcorder but my son can use it if I can justify an upgrade in my own mind.

Where did you buy yours? US Warranty?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:31 PM   #35

Well the price on amazon.com just dropped back down to $229 so I finally ordered it. Of course it may drop back down to $199 but I need to allow time for an exchange in case I get a defective one before my trip.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #36

I posted some comparison videos of the C40, C6 and the Fuji F30 in low light on www.janmcdonald.com (all of my son dancing).
jmcdonald99 is offline   Reply With Quote