Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:03 PM   #1

What is the sound/microphone quality like on the Sanyo HD1a as opposed to the Sanyo Xacti C6?I love my C6, but find the audio quality terrible, and of course there is no option to use an external mic.Any feedback greatly appreciated.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:32 PM   #2

Istara,
The C6 mic quality is fine for me. If the audio quality is important I will use a separate voice recorder with a decent mike (eg a shotgun or lapel mike) to make sure I get good audio. But for the size and location, the C6 microphones do a good job.

I use a shotgun mike when the sound really matters Most of the time my C6 mics are used solely to lip-sync the external sound recorder in post-production mix-down

Even if the C6 had a mic socket you would find it a real hassle dealing with the cables, plugs, and, of course, a decent set of mics.

I find that a typical MP3 recorder does a pretty good job of putting down excellent audio quality for live shooting... If it is a candid shot, I run with the C6 mics, and apply equalization in mix-down.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:08 AM   #3

Hi,
I've made comments about the HD1a sound recording elswhere on this forum,
I bought the hd1a for recording in-car footage, the sound quality is awful. I tried ext mics and these just don't help. I ended up buying a Roland Edirol R-09 mp3/wav recorder. Does a very good job. There is a short clip (ignore picture quality) here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNPpX2R1N4

This has short footage with sanyo sound and repeated clip with R-09 sound track.

Regards.
rich24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:24 AM   #4

I really am finding the sound quality poor. I don't know if I have damaged my Xacti C6 at some point, but the sound is always crackly and indistinct and horrible sounding. Yesterday I had the chance to compared it with a friend who was filming with a Sony stills camera that also had movie function. His movie wasn't so great, the framerate was really low, but the audio was crystal clear.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:41 AM   #5

Hi istara, did you try the C6 firmware updateto see if it helps?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:16 AM   #6

No - but I will try that, thanks. Just have to sort out getting hold of a blank SD card, all mine are currently full.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:53 PM   #7

A bit off topic here, but I've been using the HD1a for some close up stills of car parts and it takes absolutely stunning sharp as a pin stills, very very pleased with this feature, much much better than my casio 5mp. Casio is now retired........
rich24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:29 PM   #8

istara wrote:
Quote:
No - but I will try that, thanks. Just have to sort out getting hold of a blank SD card, all mine are currently full.
I believe the firmwarefile is only about 4MB's in size. You can put it on the root directory of a card that has images and yank it off when you are done (both using either a card reader or the camera as a card reader via the USB cable).

In other words, you don't need a blank card.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote