Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:33 AM   #1

I am having difficulty importing photos back into my C6 from my Mac, which were originally downloaded from my C6. I have read previous posts on this topic (April 6, 2006) and the reply from Sanyo. I have made sure that the file names (SANY001.jpg etc) complies with the format suggested by Sanyo, but it still doesn't work. I was able to download the C6 photo posted by Caelum on February 8, 2006 into my C6 without any problems. What am I doing wrong?
westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2

The problem wouldbe with the software you are using to edit your photos on the Mac... it's obviously throwing away EXIF header information that the C6 requires. You simply needto edit your picsusing software thatpreserves the full EXIF header.Or, copy back, the original full EXIF header from the original JPEG to the edited JPEG file after editing(for example the free, public domain,Jhead can do this, but it's a command line utility, not made for novice users).

As I mentionned in that older thread, I'm not certain, but I suspect the C6 mightrequire the "Makernote" EXIF header entry.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3

Is this the post you read?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27

I did some testing mainly with MP4 video files. I find that as long as various parameters of the video (eg. resolution, bitrate, codec) are compliant with the Xacti's standard, and the filename is one that the Xacti would recognize (eg. SAND001.MP4), the camera will play the video even if it did not create it.

Although I did not test picture files thoroughly, I believe the principles are similar, maybe even simplier because still pictures are far less complicated than digital video files. I have imported pictures taken with a different (Lumix) camera back onto the SD card, and the C6 showed them on the LCD.

I have a feeling that, if you simply use capital letters for the file extension -

.JPG

instead of .jpg, and the "SANY00X" filename,it may solve your problem. Sometime after using photo editing programs, the file may be saved with the "jpg" extension in small letters.

Also remember: the parameters of the pictures to put back into the camera must be compliant with the camera's standards - most importantly:

6 MP maximum resolution (open a 6M picture taken by the C6 and see what the pixel resolution (pixel X pixel) is: the picture you put back into the camera must not exceed these "dimensions").

Correct pixel count as in the quality settings on the camera (6M, 2M, 0.3M, (3M portrait ?))

Correct aspect (width and height) ratios - I am not sure if other pixel counts < 6MP would work. However, they must be in4:3 ratio otherwise the camera definitely willnot read them (except may be in 3:4 ratio, with pictureresolution identical to the camera's "3MP portrait" format).

I am not sure about the compression level of the pictures - but I have a feeling itmay not matter.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:12 PM   #4

Thanks for comments Caelum. Yes I do think it maybe the program that I am using, which is Mac's IPhoto, and that surprises me that it would throw out the header information. I will try importing the photos to the C6 using the Ulead program which came with the camera.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

Yes it is.