Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:45 PM   #1

I love the C6, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the extreme audio distortion that happens even at relatively low volumes (in my case, speaking into a mic at a comedy club) renders it unusable. I notice the CG6 has a headphone jack, and am wondering if this means it has more advanced audio capabilities in general, such as the ability to set a level.

I've scoured everything I can find on the CG6 and can't find an answer. I know it's a long shot since the camera was just announced, but does Sanyo (or anyone else) have an answer?
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:44 PM   #2

The headphone jack of the CG6 is strictly for audio playback, it does not have any correlation to a difference in microphone sensitivity.

If your need exceeds the C6's microphone capabilities, I would recommend the HD1a as it has a microphone input jack. I have seen interesting setups with wireless microphones that allow the camera to shoot in nearly any environment.

Hope this helps and just to reiterate, the CG6 will not be officially imported into the USA.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3

Thanks for your prompt reply Sanyo. I considered the HD1a but my understanding is that the low light capabilities are inferior to the C6, which is key since I'm using the cam in dim comedy clubs.

One question about the HD1a: can you set audio levels using the built in mic? Or does the built in mic have some sort of compression to prevent clipping? I guess I'm basically asking if the HD1a would solve my problems even if I just used the built in mic.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:21 AM   #4

yes, their is a mic leveladjustment for the external jack.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks. What about the built-in mic - is there any level adjustment for that?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:53 PM   #6

adamx, no.See the english HD1A manual (or choose your language) for more details.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:34 PM   #7

Another possibility is to get a solid state recorder, record a back up sound track and, if necessary, resync it in your timeline editor.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:29 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestion SPOFF. I have an mp3 player that makes good mp3 recordings. A few questions:

- How easy is it to resyncc? Do you have to manually line up the waveforms or is there software that can automate this?

- Will I have to convert the Xacti's movies or can this be done by keeping them in MP4? Similarly, can I keep my audio recordings as MP3?

- What software do you recommend?

Thanks -Adam
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:20 AM   #9

Adamx.
I use Vegas Video, which allows you to 'pick up' the audio track with the mouse and slide it alongside the audio track from the C6, listening to the superimposed audio output, until the two are synced (minimum 'echo'). It is easy to do. Since my MP3 recorders do not have exactly the same speed as my Sanyo C6, I also have to stretch the audio timeline a little.

So, first I sync the audio and video at the beginning of the clip, then I select audio track -> properties to squeeze the MP3 audio by about 20 frames per hour. At that point the end of the clip is also in sync.

It all takes is maybe a minute... and the audio quality is superb...

I use the same technique for syncing footage from my C6 and DV cameras, although they usually don't require stretching/squeezing.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:34 AM   #10

Thanks Trevmar - that sounds like a workable solution!

One question:after you do this, can you save the file with the new audio track as an MP4? Or do I need to save as another file type and if so, how does file size compare to the original MP4?