Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:08 PM   #11

brachiopod,

Added some videos and images to your site. I decided to add some videos with a lot of vegetation in,as well asan overcast day generall to show how it copes with this, as this tends to stretch the mpeg compression much more than buildings or people.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:34 PM   #12

I added an ISO series and an indoor video under lights at night.

http://dcexp.com/gallery/SanyoC40
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:31 PM   #13

Here is an interesting thing... this is probably in the manual or something, but I was not aware of it.

The camera can do ISO 1600 in video mode, but only if you manually set ISO 400 in the still mode. The video ISO is 4 times the still mode ISO, so for example if you manually set ISO 50 you get ISO 200 on the video (it is marked in the .mp4 header). Auto ISO only goes up to ISO 200 so you only get ISO 800 that way for video. But if you manually set ISO 400 you can get ISO 1600 on the video, and it is brigher in low light and not bad looking.

Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:50 PM   #14

RE: "The video ISO is 4 times the still mode ISO"

This is also similar in the C6 - the max. video ISO (3600) is 9 times the max. still picture ISO (400).

I believe this is what Sanyo calls "9 pixel mix" technology in the C6 (or "4 pixel mix" in the C40) - this is essentially the same as "pixel binning" in many other digital cameras' "high sensitivity" mode, when the camera combines the signals of adjacent pixels to make a lower resolution picture while increasing light sensitivity. Except Sanyo actually applies this to the video mode as well as the still picture mode (the "lamp" mode also goes up to ISO 3600 in the C6, but only at 0.3 MP resolution).

Read this article about pixel binning:

http://www.ccd.com/ccd103.html
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:15 AM   #15

Yeah, I've read that the C40 is also using "binning". This probably limits which CCDs Sanyo can use with these cameras as not all CCDs have a full read out mode that is fast enough for video. Most have a reduced hardware read out of every 4th row or something, but then they can't do "binning". (revised, actually maybe they could, they just take enough pixels horizontally) The C40 is surprisingly similar to the C6,considering the money I paid I like it. I'm surprised how well the still shots do at ISO 400 too; those large pixels on the old fashoned 4MP and 6MP CCDs pay off in low light. Too bad that these cameras aren't F2.8 though, another stop would help, but that would make the lens 1.4 times wider and too big for the case.

I wonder how they deal with the color problems with binning. There are usually twice as many green as red or blue pixels on the ccd. With the C40 they can bin 4 pixels (GGRB) and things are OK. With the C6 if they bin 9, that does not work out evenly so they must have to apply some special formula to work out the color. Or something!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:33 PM   #16

Just uploaded a simple panning shot of a waterfall from our local Zoo. http://dcexp.com/gallery/SanyoC40
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote