Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

The Sanyo C40 seems to be the forgotton sister of the Xacti Cameras, so I thought I would post some still images and sample videos for those who are interested in this camera. These were all taken using the auto settings.

Click here for some sample photos: http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/sanyo2

I had read a review on amazon.com that their photos came out all blurry. I haven't had any problem as you can see for yourself. You just need to allow time for the camera to autofocus before you press the shutter all the way.

Some sample videos:
http://media.putfile.com/sanyo3
http://media.putfile.com/sanyo4
http://media.putfile.com/sanyo5
http://media.putfile.com/sanyo6
http://media.putfile.com/sanyo7

These are in the original .mp4 format so you will need to make sure you have the latest QUicktime installed.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:38 AM   #2

I just bought one of these, $199 at Radio Shack. It is actually pretty good, and the focust and low light is better than I expected from all the comments. I returned the first one for a hot pixel right in the center on all photos and videos.

There are a lot of features that require you to read the manual that involve using the jog controller, for example pressing up during filming locks the focus.

It is hard to judge the video quality from putfile since they appear to resample everything, if anyone is interested I can put up some original clips..

A few "tips", just my opinion;

* Use "soft" on the photos, the default is oversharpened garbage IMHO
* There is no advantage at all to the 8M mode that I can see
* There isn't much difference between 4S and 4H either, I'm still deciding if 4H is worth it.

* If you use the video image stabilizer, it reduces your video resolution, if you care. This is because of how it works, it is done in software by selecting a part of the image as it moves around on the CCD (a lot of video cameras do this too).

* If you just stab the still image release, it can take an out of focus image. The best if you have time is to half press and let it focus, then release the shutter.
* Noise reduction appears to take a dark frame and subtract it, not sure what the effect is on short exposures if any.
* The digital zoom appears to be worthless. I was hoping that it would crop the CCD during video or something since this is a 4MP CCD that is larger than needed for the video, but it does not appear to do anything other than a simple crop of the video image.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

I agree with all of those points.

I will try the soft setting. I guess I am one of those people who prefer sharp pictures to soft, but I agree they are maybe a little too sharp.

The low light ability certainly blows away my Aiptek PVR for sure.

I don't know why theyhave an 8MP on the menu either. Usually companies use interpolated modesto make it look like it has higher MP than it does but Sanyo don't seem to be promoting it thankfully so it makes you wonder.

I think the problem with focus is that people often expect to just press the button all the way immediately. Lower end Consumer Digital Cameras often still suffer from slow autofocusing.

I try not to use the image stabiliser. With cameras as small as these, they tend to not have much inertia so are more prone to rapid jerky moevements which the stabiliser will have trouble coping with anyway.

Actually putfile doesn't resample, you have to have the appropriate codec. For a start they actually recommend using 200kbps WMV video format for best performance which would be pointless if they recompressed it themselves. The main problem now is that you cannot view the videos fullscreen. You used to be able to do that before.

Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:03 PM   #4

I'm putting a few full sized samples and movies in this gallery...

http://dcexp.com/gallery/SanyoC40

If you (or anyone else) would like to upload some of your C40 samples, ust send me an email for the password.

Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:57 PM   #5

One thing I found out, is you have to be careful not to have the wind noise reduction setting on as it can sometimes distort the sound! To be fair, it does warn that using this can make the the audio 'sound unnatural'! I had a water fountain shot and it sounded very metallic! In fact I just checked all my water fountain shots that I took today and all are ruined due to this distortion. I assume it affected these shots due to the sound of Water Fountains being another variant of 'white noise' like wind. Have to make sure I don't leave it on.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:08 AM   #6

I was wondering what that wind noise reduction did for regular sound.

Here is another tip, turn off "file number reset" which defaults to "on" so that the camera keeps numbering your pictures and does not re-use the same name.

p.s. rgvcam I sent you a PM.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:06 PM   #7

It looks like I have to take back what I was saying about the audio! It looks like the audio distortion was on my laptop and not the device. Too quick to blame the camera I guess.

Anyway today, I was playing these same video clips on a relatives PC and they sounded great. I had installed the 3ivx codec on that and was using Windows Media Player. They didn't sound odd at all. So when I got back, I played them again using VLC Player on my laptop this time and there was no distortion at all. I played them again in Quicktime and the distortion was there and only in certain clips like the different water fountains.

It seems that Quicktime has a problem with the audio. I was a little suspicious because I did have at least one clip taken in the mall that showed this same problem which was a little odd while a second clip of the same scene didn't! Neither have any white noise component.

Of course I did notice that they sounded ok on the camera itself but with the small speaker you cannot be absolutely certain there isn't a problem with the audio that might only show up on playback with a better audio system.

Anyway I was using Quicktime 7.0.4 and looked for any updates just in case this was a known problem and was fixed in a later version. The latest being 7.1.3. Of course the audio problem is still there in the upgrade, so I will just have to make sure I use VLC in future or install 3ivx on my Laptop. VLC is better as people have been saying anyway since you get fullscreen ability which you can only get in Quicktime Pro anyway!

On a sidenote, at least Apple finally listened and allow Quicktime as a separate download without the annoyance of having to install itunes as well :roll: (Even though I do have an ipod nano, sometimes you just don't want to have to update them both on some machines!)

Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:22 PM   #8

rgvcam and brachiopod-

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these pics and videos. They convinced me that I could go with the $199 C40 versus ponying up $300-$400 for the C6. I am sure the C6 is "better" but your pics tell me that the C40 does the job pretty darn well!!

jmann99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:35 PM   #9

jmann99999 wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam and brachiopod-

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these pics and videos. They convinced me that I could go with the $199 C40 versus ponying up $300-$400 for the C6. I am sure the C6 is "better" but your pics tell me that the C40 does the job pretty darn well!!

This was my reasoning as well. I just couldn't justify a model that was twice the price for marginally better video and photos. The lowlight ability of the C40 isn't actually too bad I have found, certainly much better than my Aiptek which at times was often next to useless in lowlight. I had a hard time finding any info on the C40 on the net, which is why I created this thread.

If you just remember that this camcorder is not the fastest when it comes to focusing, and allow it time to adjust it's autofocus, then you should find that it works as well as any other camera. I hope you enjoy your purchase. I have had much fun with mine already!

Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:54 PM   #10

I have to admit, I bought it sort of on a lark, but that it has exceeded my expectations. I was not expecting much from the still camera at all, but some of the still shots are actually quite good; you could make nice 8x10 prints from them. Plus Sanyo has obviously put some actual thought into the firmware and features, I'm constantly discovering new things. For example you can use the control stick to cyle through...flash modes... EV compensation... focus modes... focus lock without going into the menus. I'm not sure that the video is really any worse than what you get from the C6, and the low light is not anywhere near as bad as I was lead to believe; if you can see you can film, even in normal room lighting at night. And you just can't beat having real optical zoom instead of that digital cropping that the other hybrids have.

Get a $20 1GB card at Staples, and get some $5 DB-L20 batteries off ebay, and you are all set.

For the money, I'd say it was worth it.