Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:17 AM   #1

I am considering purchasing the Xacti C6 but I want to see some sample videos at the highest resolution taken on nice sunny days. I want to be sure the video quality is good. Also, does anyone have any nice full resolution photos of people taken with the camera?

Thanks!!
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:38 AM   #2

Have a look in Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/c6.html
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3

That was not taken on a nice sunny day and the vid quality is not very good.

I went with a Canon S3 IS anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4

mrphotoman wrote:
Quote:
:lol:That was quick... and that's a really nice camera! But it's apples and oranges; the S3 is not exactly pocketable nor anywhere near the size of a deck of cards (or able to record hours of video for that matter). But I agree Steve's C6 video samplesare noisy, I think it's because there is a lot of fine detail in those videos for MPEG4 to compress (edit: in real time at that bitrate). I've had best results with focused near subjects (out of focus background).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:58 AM   #5

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
mrphotoman wrote:
Quote:
:lol: But it's apples and oranges;
Agree.

If you want to keep a video camera in the pocket and take reasonable quality video any time, C6 (CA6) is the only choice with limited budget. (HD1 may be too expensive for some). Picture taking is a bonus.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:33 AM   #6

Considering how quick he made his decision, one has to wonder if he was seriously considering the Sanyo C6 at all?

I was looking at the S3 IS myself at one point (because I was also looking for a digital camera upgrade too) but didn't like the fact that they they can only record about 8 minutes per GB. This combined with the 1GB limit per movie file meant that it wasn't a practical camcorder. While you might not seriously consider using one to record say a birthday party, for which a miniDV would be better, it is certainly nice to have the ability to at least record 30 mins in one go.

I am pretty happy with my C40. I primarily got it to record my son, for which it works very well indeed. I think when 'serious camcorder' sites look down on the video of these devices, it is probably because they are comparing those samples with a lot of detail which does tend to stretch the cameras abilities too much. If on the other hand you compare scenes with people and buidlings in, they compare much more favorably. I have found that the casual viewer doesn't really notice it hadn't been recorded on a miniDV.

There is no way I would have got a lot of the fun shots of my son if I only had a miniDV since there it is just too much hassle as well as still being too big. The Sanyo, I just make sure it's charged with an empty card and off I go for the day :-)
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:18 PM   #7

Actually it WAS NOT a quick decision, your assumption was very wrong. I am not new to photography, I have owned a studio for over 15 years. I do not make rash decisions on cameras. I made my decision based on image quality, I felt that was most important. I would rather have a larger camera with significantly better quality than a smaller camera with mediocre to good quality. I do plan to pick up a smaller camera when the quality improves a little more. My sole reason for this purchase was to have a nice still/video camera to make short videos and still photos of myself and my site members drag racing, rally-x and auto-x races. I think the S3 will be a fantastic choice for that, the longer lens will be very useful.

I do like the C6 a lot however, my friend has one and it is quite nice. Hopefully the replacement for the C6 will have some significant improvements. If it does, I will pick one up.

Here is a nice example of just how good the movie quality is with the S3:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...w/MVI_0093.AVI
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:21 AM   #8

The S3 IS is a nice camera and one I might still consider as a possible upgrade for my Minolta although I do like the A630/A640 cameras even though they don't have IS.

One can only dream that a future S4 or S5 starts using MPEG4 for the video mode. Personally I would rather Canon just use a more efficient video codec than just introducing new higher resolution video modes of 1024x768 with only 15fps as on the s80.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:07 AM   #9

mrphotoman wrote:
Quote:
Actually it WAS NOT a quick decision, your assumption was very wrong.[...]
Quote:

You inquired about C6 sample videos stating you were considering that camera, within one day someone replied, to which you quickly replied you had already went with the S3... our assumption was based on this. Oh well, glad you're happy with the S3.

That is a nice sample, I am surprised at the significant"CCD smear" at the beginning though. Indeed the S3 makeslarger files as well. If you're interested in comparing, where that S3 sample was 22MB forabout 10 seconds of video, check out howfor the same 22MB the C6 shoots one minute of video (6 times more!):

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...130/ezsm15.mp4
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:30 AM   #10

The very noticeable jpeg compression artifacts, excessive noise, excessive mpeg4 compression (causing soft images), poor sound quality and dark, flat video images turned me off the C6. File size is not really a concern since I do not rely on a 2gb hard drive on my computer. I bought a 2 gig SD card for $20 and have a 4gig on the way that cost $50. I would much rather have good image quality than tiny file sizes. I have the S3 now and the photo/video quality is outstanding, I made the right decision.

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
mrphotoman wrote:
Quote:
Actually it WAS NOT a quick decision, your assumption was very wrong.[...]
Quote:

You inquired about C6 sample videos stating you were considering that camera, within one day someone replied, to which you quickly replied you had already went with the S3... our assumption was based on this. Oh well, glad you're happy with the S3.

That is a nice sample, I am surprised at the significant"CCD smear" at the beginning though. Indeed the S3 makeslarger files as well. If you're interested in comparing, where that S3 sample was 22MB forabout 10 seconds of video, check out howfor the same 22MB the C6 shoots one minute of video (6 times more!):

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...130/ezsm15.mp4