Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:28 PM   #11

>That's my guess. I looked at the firmware for the C1 and it only supports FAT12 and FAT16, for a max of 2GB. I don't know, but they might nothave had 2GB SDs when the C1 first came out. Now the new C6 firmware supports FAT32...I'd be surprised if Sanyo would have hard coded support for a limited size. I could be wrong.

Well, unless you know that for sure about the cards now being formatted FAT32, know that FAT16 can support up to 4GB with 64K clusters (this works with many cameras once you get the card formatted, and I've done it myself). I would suspect that the easiest way for Sanyo to implement 4GB support would be to just change the format routine to use 64K clusters, hence the support for 4GB cards and not 8GB cards. The cards are probably still FAT16.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:38 PM   #12
Administrator

Ophidian wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because ebay is loaded with some of the worst memory card frauds on the net. Buy your card from a known online dealer.
Quote:
Ok,can you post me the shop online with very good SDHC???
Quote:
Thank you.
Newegg.com, Ecost.com, Buy.com, etc...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:05 AM   #13

brachiopod, I'm positive there is FAT32 support is in the updated C6 firmware. :G
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 1:58 AM   #14

I can confirm that the new C6 firmware does not recognize the 4Gig FAT32 SD cards formatted on my computers, and insists on formatting these cards itself.

The camera formats my Adata 4 Gig card as FAT32 with sector size 512 bytes, 64 sectors per cluster, cluster size 32768 bytes (125376 usable clusters), and produces a backup copy of the FAT table.

It does not recognize a card formatted FAT32 without the extra FAT table (which would give 125488 usable clusters).

I also tried my RiData 4Gig card in case I was seeing something peculiar to the Adata. Behavior was the same.

The good news is that the camera does format with a filesystem which is readable by both the Windows Mobile and Windows XP operating systems.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:34 AM   #15

Trevmar, I just formatted an SD card using FAT32 on my PC and my C6 was then able to read and write it perfectly fine. It would not have been able to do that without being able to recognize FAT32 formatted cards. Also, SDHC requires FAT32 support and the C6 firmware update clearly has a reference to FAT32 support in it if you look at the binary.

Are your AData and RiData cards indeed SDHC? If so, weren't they already pre-formatted FAT32? You shouldn't have needed to reformat them in the C6. If they are not SDHC cards, then I don't know if they are even supported by the C6, so that could be a problem, but did you try formatting them with FAT32 on your PC instead of on the C6 before using them in the C6? (command line: FORMAT volume /FS:FAT32)

(Edit: looks like you changed the first line in your post to specify 4GB cards... my first paragraphmight no longer needed, and I'll point out Ididn't try cards larger than 2GB, but I'll leave it anyhow...)
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:44 AM   #16

Caelum,
Before I made that statement about lack of FAT32 I used the SK Tools package on my PDA
(http://s-k-tools.com/index.html?sktools/m_feat.html ) which analyses SD card formats with a much greater degree of detail than any desktop utility. It is possible that a PC might use a slight variant of the FAT32 format which is acceptable to the C6.

I was certainly surprised by what I found - which was that both the 4GB cards I put into the C6 insisted on a format in the camera. This was not what I found when using my 2Gig cards. Further, both those 4Gig cards had been in use for some time with my PDA, transferring files seamlessly to both laptop and desktop Windows machines.

But I may have made a mistake. If anybody has been able to format a 4Gig card FAT32 on a PC and pop it straight into the camera, without getting a notice that the camera wants to re-format it, I would be persuded that an error had occurred in my test procedure.

Finally, this all makes no difference to the ability of the revised C6 software to use the 4Gig cards which it formats, which it does very well, and those cards can be read by both desktop and mobile versions of Windows.

Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:51 AM   #17

Trevmar, can you confirm ifyour4GB cards are SDHC, or are they standard SD?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 1:21 PM   #18

Can't confirm that. They are 150X cards conforming to SD 2.0

Is there anything in SDHC that would exceed the SD 2.0 specs? SD 2.0 supports FAT32.

Anyway, maybe one day I will get some more time to spend on this. Gotta move on right now, I am afraid. The cards work. That's good enough for me right now.

Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:45 PM   #19

Ok, thanks Trevmar, so they are probably not SDHC, if they were they would have the SDHC logo on them. Thisis probably why they are not recognized as FAT32 cards by the C6.

Interestingly theSD Card association doesn't appear too happy about non SDHC 4GB cards, this is from their front page(click onimage for more info.; they state that standard SD should be for 2GB or less only):

The good news is, that you confirm they work in the C6 despite being non-standard.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:51 PM   #20

My suspicion is that these cards conform fully to SDHC, but the manufacturers have chosen not to spend the money purchasing the license to use the SDHC logo.

I note that the packaging says "tested in ..canon, nikon .. etc" rather than display the logo. I suspect that saves the end-user a few dollars