Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:18 AM   #21

I don't know much about the SD Association or SDHC's SD 2.0 (which apparently uses a different addressing method, see below). But SDHC & SD 2.0are quite recent, and I suspect some member companies might simply have come out with 4GB SD cards before SDHCwas out.Here is a blurb about it on Wikipedia:
Quote:
"A new SD format, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity), allows capacities in excess of 2GB (4GB to 32GB). SDHC uses the same form factor as SD, but compatibility is not complete in either direction. The SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing[5]), causing devices that do not specifically support SD 2.0 / SDHC to fail to recognize the memory cards. Making the issue more confusing is the fact that some manufacturers have produced semi-nonstandard 4GB SD cards. These cards are incompatible with SD devices that don't support the larger formats, and are also incompatible with many SDHC devices, because they don't conform to the SD 2.0 spec for High Capacity memory cards. As of late 2006, the simultaneous availability of non-standards 4GB SD and 4GB SDHC cards, and the incompatibilities between SD and SDHC have caused a great deal of confusion among consumers looking to buy memory for various devices."
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:02 AM   #22

I have confirmed that the upgraded C6 does in fact format the 4G cards as FAT32 with sector size 512 bytes, 64 sectors per cluster, cluster size 32768 bytes (125376 usable clusters), and produces a backup copy of the FAT table.

I could not get it to recognize FAT32 cards formatted elsewhere, it wanted to format them itself but YMMV.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:59 PM   #23

Back to the original post, based on your findings do you believe that a 8gb SDHC card will work if formatted in a C6?

I have the 8gb sdhccard sitting on my desk, and am just waiting for the C6 (the supplier is having stock trouble).

Cheers

Jonny
jonny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:33 PM   #24

I wonder if the 4GB file size limit on FAT32 could be a problem if someone tried to record that much on an 8GB card?
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:12 AM   #25

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if the 4GB file size limit on FAT32 could be a problem if someone tried to record that much on an 8GB card?
They'd run out of battery power long before. :G But even plugged-in 4GB is still nearly three hours of video at highest quality,and considering a stop-start is fairly quick I can't imagine it being a major problem even if the C6 doesn'tconsider that boundary (don't know if it does or not). Butit could bean issuefor MJPEG cams like the S3 IS which manages only about 8 minutes per GB... oh wait it has a 1GB file size limit already.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:27 AM   #26

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Butit could bean issuefor MJPEG cams like the S3 IS which manages only about 8 minutes per GB... oh wait it has a 1GB file size limit already.
LOL.
Yes, I did look at those Canon digicam's with the 1GB limit. I guess Canon wants to try and 'protect' its camcorder product line... which doesn't even work in low light... LOLOL

I was actually looking at buying an 8GB card when I read your message:?

I tested the 4GB card recording a 2hr47minutes video yesterday. The four 2300maH AA cells in the external 'USB' 'IPOD' power box dropped out at about 2:30, and a low-battery indication appeared on the C6, but it continued recording. I removed the external power box, the low-battery indication disappeared (the internal Li-ION battery had taken over seamlessly) and when I changed to a new set of AA NiMH cells the C6 kept recording until 2:47 (ish), when it ran out of diskspace in the normal way... The internal battery was still fully charged.

So, on a tabletop tripod, with a small AA battery pack, my C6 handles 2:47 recordings very well, even unattended. Leaving the internal battery charged. Which is pretty neat for recording conferences, etc, my rationale for buying the C6 in the first place - my DV camcorders are getting a little too hard to carry around in my pockets:sad:
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:30 AM   #27

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
Good point, thanks for reminding me about that. I think it is safe to assume that 4GB (about 2:53) would be the limit for any recording on an 8GB FAT32 card.

The $64,000 question is therefore - does the C6 handle this boundary correctly, or just hang up with an error message

Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:11 AM   #28
arp

jonny98,

Did you already test 8GB SDHC card? Work?

I can sayyou that I use a 4GB SDHC and a 4GB (not SDHC) that works well too after firmware upgrade; last I must format at C6... if not after 10s stop film!

Somebody can confirm that C6 support 8GB SDHC that now have a good price and 5h film!

Thanks
arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:47 PM   #29

Transcend makes a 4GB non-SDHC SD memory card.
ablang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:47 AM   #30

Transcend 8 GB class 2 seems to work fine on my C6.. it displays 5h29min at max quality and around 2700 pictures..

now the only thing we need it's a batterie that would last 5h..:G
c_g_f is offline   Reply With Quote