Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:43 PM   #1

Not sure if anyone else has even looked into this.

So I currently have the VPC-C5 which seems to last around 40 minutes or so on a full battery charge taking video. This is a tad short for my liking, I'd really like it if the battery life was around an hour, does anyone have any ideas or ways to extend battery life?

I had seen (somewhere) that some manufacturer had made a 900mAh battery (as opposed to Sanyo's 720mAh battery) but I'm also interested if anyone has done a bit of a "custom" thing to get a much bigger battery, obviously would require removing the battery door since that gets in the way.
Arla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

I just got a few extra cheap batteries (knock-offs). They're tiny, you can easily carry a few around for a day's shooting. I wouldn't trust mAH claims on knock-offs, but mine seem to last similar to Sanyo's. Keep in mind Sanyo's warning on knock-offs... you know...risk of exploding batteries. Possibly geta car recharger as well if you are driving.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:09 PM   #3

When I use a 2 GB SD card with my C6, I gotabout 52 minutes of continuous video recording at the highest quality setting (I don't know if this made the camera work harder because of high data bitrate, thereby using more power).

To get over 50 minutes of battery life, I just hold the camera and let it record, without using other power-hungry functions like the optical zoom. The autofocus will consume some power, but the scenes were far enough away itprobably did notrefocusvery often. I don't think you can switch off the LCD when you are recording (closing the LCD may put the whole camera on standby, not only stopping the recording!). In essence, I can't think of any way to improve the battery life.

I bought a non-proprietary (non-Sanyo) replacement battery pack but it has the same power rating as the original Sanyo pack. I know nothing about rigging up my own extended battery pack.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:28 PM   #4

I've disabled the LCD's backlight by pressing the menu button and then the up direction on the SET buttton while recording. Previewing videos or snapshots when running off of the battery instead of AC will consume some power as well.
gadgetguy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:35 PM   #5

Has anyone had bad experiences with aftermarket batteries? My grey market C6 came with a OEM battery and a no name battery, I charged the non name, installed it and the camera worked for one day, then would no longer zoom
Returned it for repair at my expense to Sanyo and they reported that the lens,cpu etc was damaged by "non original battery", $360 CDN later I just got the camera back today with the non original battery. I have charged the OEM battery and am using it and so far today no problems. I am leary about aftermarket batteries now, the non original battery included in the deal was a 850mah.
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:12 PM   #6
Administrator

geep wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone had bad experiences with aftermarket batteries? My grey market C6 came with a OEM battery and a no name battery, I charged the non name, installed it and the camera worked for one day, then would no longer zoom
Returned it for repair at my expense to Sanyo and they reported that the lens,cpu etc was damaged by "non original battery", $360 CDN later I just got the camera back today with the non original battery. I have charged the OEM battery and am using it and so far today no problems. I am leary about aftermarket batteries now, the non original battery included in the deal was a 850mah.
I have the C40, C5 and C6 which all use the same battery. I got 3 of those cheapy batteries on eBay and they all under-perform the original Sanyo batteries even though they are labeled with a higher mAh rating. The real battery averages about 45-50 mins of video, the cheapies all crap out around 20-25 mins. My advice is to buy 1 or 2 extra REAL Sanyo batteries and forget the cheapies, they're justcrap.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:52 PM   #7

Not yet, they appearto be working fine sofar(fingers crossed/knock on wood), but that last post of yours (it took over a month to get repaired? :O) was disconcerting for sure. It would really suck if the cheap batteries killed the cam because I really couldn't justify the OEM price to myself.

I bought these(like you, I'm in Canada, butCAD$13 translates toabout US$10 vs Sanyo's US$50). The ones Ireceivedlook similar to the one pictured, except they're rated 720mAh, it's printed 02E instead of 02D at the bottom and there is a little grey sticker covering the two little holes above the arrow (made in china stickeron back):

Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:42 PM   #8

So where does one buy OEM Sanyo batteries online? Google turns up jobber batteries everywhere. Sanyo Canada lists the batteries but I cant seem to purchase from them online
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:47 AM   #9

geep wrote:
Quote:
So where does one buy OEM Sanyo batteries online?
In Canada I don't know, but Amazon.com has them.