Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:37 PM   #1

The Sony PS3 manual says the PS3 can play back the following file types for video:

MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile(AAC LC)

(See:
http://www.us.playstation.com/conten...#video%20types )

Sanyo's spec sheet says it records in ISO MPEG-4 format.

I can't tell if this is two different companies referring to the same spec, or two different specs. The question boils down to, can the PS3 playback HD1 video?

I imagine in the long term, once Linux is available, VLC or a variety of other tools will be available to do this, but it would be very cool if I could just pop the SD card out of my HD1 and stick it straight into a PS3 for playback.

Any lucky sods out there who actually bought a PS3 to keep for themselves instead of selling on eBay??? :?
alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:05 AM   #2

I suppose you were referring to playing the file through USB with a card reader?

You never know until you try. I believe MP4 is not what it seems. There are too many variations.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:34 AM   #3

celsius2 wrote:
Quote:
I suppose you were referring to playing the file through USB with a card reader?

You never know until you try. I believe MP4 is not what it seems. There are too many variations.
Actually, the 60gig model has CF, SD, and MS slots built into it -- only the 20gig model requires the external USB memory card reader.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried; your statement "MP4 is not what it seems" pretty much echoes my experience, hence the reason I asked.

My TV only does 1080i -- no 720p -- so at this time, I have no method to display my videos in HD other than on a computer (I used to have a Roku HD1000 for this task, but lightning took that from me). I'm hoping that the PS3 will be able to play these files back while upconverting the video.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't know the answer. But, if you're not aware of it already, Yellow Dog Linux will be available for the PS3 (estimated to be available for download on November 27th):

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

So, you may want to check into some of the available applications to see if one of them would do what you need (and if not, you may be able to locate an open source app that you can compile for this platform). Here are some of the multimedia apps that will be packaged with the distro:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/pr...;app_list=42#1

I don't even play video games. But, I wouldn't mind having a PS3 to use a my primary desktop workstation. I use Linux most of the time anyway (I don't use Windows anymore than I have to). With it's cell processor design, the PS3 would probably make a super desktop PC.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:47 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't know the answer. But, if you're not aware of it already, Yellow Dog Linux will be available for the PS3 (estimated to be available for download on November 27th):

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/
:
:
I don't even play video games. But, I wouldn't mind having a PS3 to use a my primary desktop workstation. I use Linux most of the time anyway (I don't use Windows anymore than I have to). With it's cell processor design, the PS3 would probably make a super desktop PC.
Yeah, that would be an alternative -- it does require a reboot, but on such a fast system, it shouldn't be a big deal. Well, except it's got relatively slow disks, of course (only 2.5" laptop drives).

I use VLC to play my vids now; I didn't see it on the list, but like you said, there's no reason it couldn't be ported.

My local GameStop finally got their kiosk in, but it's not completely setup yet. I know the folks there, and may stop in on a quiet day to see if I can pop in my SD card to test it out, unless someone here beats me to it!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:56 PM   #6

Well, I got my answer. A buddy brought over his PS3 and we plugged it into my HT. I popped in a card from my HD1, and the photos were viewable, but the MP4s came up as something to the equivalent of "media format not supported at this time". It recognized them as videos, but could not play them.

Here's hoping for an update!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:47 PM   #7

That is what I would have expected. Could be the H.263 vs H.264 thing.

When I plug my card straight into a Divx reading DVD player it cannot recognize the files either. But if I do the MP4Cam2AVI conversion then it plays the non-hd just fine, but can't do HD. My modded xbox can do the HD as well but choppy.

I wonder if the PS3 can play the HD videos after the MP4Cam2AVI conversion. That is a very fast conversion and easily combines files.
RonBonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:21 PM   #8

I finally got my PS3, and I've gotten my HD1 repaired (BSOD -- Sanyo paid for it, thank them very much!)

I tried MP4cam2avi, and it did not work (it converted, but the PS3 wouldn't play it).

I opened a file in Vegas and converted it to 720p MPEG2, and it played beautifully. It took about 2 minutes to convert a 20 second clip, and the size more than doubled.

Well, I tried. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm all ears...

(Hmmm, this is an interesting development. I've got a 480/1080 Mitsubishi RPTV, and it's playing the 720p video at 1080i! It looks like the internal scalar is working to upconvert the video just fine in this case. Too bad it doesn't do that for the games, too! :?)