Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:47 PM   #1

First off, thank you for all of the useful information.

I am about to purchase a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA60R (I assume the CA6 is the same thing). It seems to be identical to the C6 except that it is "weatherproof".

My questions involve the firmware upgrade to the C6 and compatability with 4 GB SD cards. Does this firmware upgrade apply to the CA6 as well? Are they essentially identical cameras?

I called Sanyo support and they said that ALL of the Xacti cameras only support up to 2 GB SD cards and that there was no such thing as a firmware update. I get the feeling that she did not know what she was talking about.

Is the CA-6 compatible with 4 GB SD cards out of the box? (Like the Transcend high speed). Also, are there recommendations as to which card is most appropriate? Does the speed of the card matter for this camera or should I just go for the cheapest? I see that there is a thread about which cards are compatible with the C6. Does the firmware upgrade allow for increased compatibility so that it now works with most if not all cards?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks again for the excellent info. Thanks in advance for your help.
1kabooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:15 PM   #2

"My questions involve the firmware upgrade to the C6 and compatability with 4 GB SD cards. Does this firmware upgrade apply to the CA6 as well?" No, the CA6 and the C6 are different cameras and the firmware's are unique to each model. HOWEVER, the firmware in the CA6 is SDHC compatible (in other words, the CA6 can accept 4GB or 8GB cards without the need to updrade the firmware.

"I called Sanyo support and they said that ALL of the Xacti cameras only support up to 2 GB SD cards and that there was no such thing as a firmware update. I get the feeling that she did not know what she was talking about." I will make sure that she is made aware.

"Is the CA-6 compatible with 4 GB SD cards out of the box?" Yes.

"Does the speed of the card matter for this camera or should I just go for the cheapest?" The speed matters during the transfer time from the camera to the computer.4GB is a lot of data to transfer and faster cards make for an improved experience.

"I see that there is a thread about which cards are compatible with the C6. Does the firmware upgrade allow for increased compatibility so that it now works with most if not all cards?" There was a minor firmware update that was never released that seemed to increase compatibility with some high-speed 2GB cards. The new SDHC firmware includes that update. So the answer to your question would be yes.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:09 PM   #3

Wow. Mr. Sanyo, thank you very much for your thorough and prompt reply. That was very helpful and you essentially answered all of my questions. I will plan to purchase the CA6 and a high speed SDHC 4GB or 8Gb card as it seems that the camera does benefit from higher/highest speeds on SD cards.

Since the CA6 and C6 are different cameras, are there any advantages that the C6 has over the CA6?

As separate questions for the gallery before I purchase... are there conventional, slim digital cameras out there that use MPEG-4 compression that actually make equal or higher quality videos than hybrids? In other words, is the hybrid concept merely a gimmick and the camera the same thing as a conventional point and shoot? I assume that the video quality of a hybrid is better than a conventional digital camera with video capabilities.

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:13 PM   #4

1kabooki wrote:
Quote:
I will plan to purchase the CA6 and a high speed SDHC 4GB or 8Gb card as it seems that the camera does benefit from higher/highest speeds on SD cards.
Actually, if you read what Sanyo wrote, the camera doesn't necessarily benefit,high speed SDswillmostlyspeed upthe transfertimes to your PC... after shooting.

1kabooki wrote:
Quote:
Since the CA6 and C6 are different cameras, are there any advantages that the C6 has over the CA6?

As separate questions for the gallery before I purchase... are there conventional, slim digital cameras out there that use MPEG-4 compression that actually make equal or higher quality videos than hybrids? In other words, is the hybrid concept merely a gimmick and the camera the same thing as a conventional point and shoot? I assume that the video quality of a hybrid is better than a conventional digital camera with video capabilities.
The C6 has some things the CA6 doesn't, like a tripod mount, and the LCDscreen can swivel. I'm not sureif there is anything else.

I thinkmost camcorders and digicams will eventuallymerge as"hybrids". There are quite a few digicams that do MPEG-4 now, and most digicams do video now, so in effect are also, in some sense, "hybrids".In principlethe Sanyo Xactis are digicams with a great MPEG-4 video feature, since they use digicam, not camcorder,CCDs.At this moment in time I feel the Xactis do the best MPEG-4; that's subjective andcould change. For video recording I also really like the one handed pistol-grip format of my C6 over the two-handed approach of typical digicams. It also allows the zoom lens to remain safe inside instead of protruding.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:39 PM   #5

1kabooki,

I'm assuming that Caelum's response was sufficient. If you have additional questions, please re-post.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:12 AM   #6

Yes, the above replies did suffice and answered my questions. Thanks for your help Sanyo and Caelum.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:20 PM   #7

I, too, am ready to buy a CA6, though I really wanted a C6. The lack of swivel in the LCD screen really bothers me. However, I cannot find a C6 any longer: dealers say it is discontinued. Is that true? Strangely the Sanyo websitecarries the C6 with no mention of the CA6. The CA6 seems to be a cheaper camera: is it an upgrade of the C6 or not. Need advice. Thanks.
sixer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:28 PM   #8

Sixer,
I bought my C6 from Circuit City for $399 a couple of months ago.

They have it listed at this URL for $429 now
http://tinyurl.com/yajxdt

I can't believe they would have increased the price if they intended to discontinue selling it... I suspect you have been misled by the sales staff to whom you were talking.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 5:08 PM   #9

sixer12 wrote:
Quote:
I, too, am ready to buy a CA6, though I really wanted a C6. The lack of swivel in the LCD screen really bothers me. However, I cannot find a C6 any longer: dealers say it is discontinued. Is that true? Strangely the Sanyo websitecarries the C6 with no mention of the CA6. The CA6 seems to be a cheaper camera: is it an upgrade of the C6 or not. Need advice. Thanks.
The C6 is not discontinued. Both the CA6 and C6 are current models in the USA.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:04 PM   #10

Sanyo wrote:
Quote:
"My questions involve the firmware upgrade to the C6 and compatability with 4 GB SD cards. Does this firmware upgrade apply to the CA6 as well?" No, the CA6 and the C6 are different cameras and the firmware's are unique to each model. HOWEVER, the firmware in the CA6 is SDHC compatible (in other words, the CA6 can accept 4GB or 8GB cards without the need to updrade the firmware.
From what I can tell, this information explicitly confirms that the C6 (with its new SDHC compatibility) is compatible with 8gb SDHC cards (correct me if i am wrong), a query I had posted here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27

thanks for the great info, I look forward to using my C6 when it arrives :lol:
jonny98 is offline   Reply With Quote