Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:30 AM   #11

I must say I am impressed with Hiro-san's photos from the CG6 (and his HD1 photos are pretty good, too).

Here is an ISO 200, 1/5 second shot, again showing the stability of the gyro sensor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirosan...7594125795616/

(click on "more properties" for the detailed exposure data)

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:58 AM   #12

Appears highly unscientific, and it might simply be a joke, but still, I wish he explained this one better:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirosan...7594389863655/
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:32 AM   #13

That's a good find. I have emailed him to see if there is an answer or analysis available

Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:57 PM   #14

I've been getting pretty good results with neatvideo + dynamic noise reduction filter on low light videos. For the fun of it I processed Sanyo's CG6 3600 ISO low light sample... if you are interested in seeing the difference yourself:

Original Sanyo CG6 ISO 3600 low light sample video.

Processed with neatvideo + dynamic noise reduction, bothusing the defaults (download viaRapidshare: choose Free option, wait for timer)
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:57 PM   #15

Caelum,
I received a response from Hirosan today about his comments re C6 and CG6 at URL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirosan...7594389863655/
Here it is:
-----------------------------
Speaking of Sanyo Xacti CG6, I found out after three weeks of its use, I am not completely happy with it.

I'm not sure where I should start up, so I am going to list what I found out from CG6.
Probably the good things are:
1) Larger display
2) Somewhat effective, digital stabilization for still images

1) SLOWEST startup time of all Sanyo cameras
2) LCD quality is not acceptable
3) Noticeably bulkier than C6
4) The quality of movie clip is not distinguishable between C6 and CG6
5) The noise on still photos are still ugly and not usable at ISO 400 and higher

1) This means starting up from the standby mode, that means, opening up the display and getting ready to shoot. I did not need a stopwatch to see the difference... it was obviously slower!
My friend and I did the heads-on with C6 and CG6, and when his C6 starts movieshooting, my CG6 still shows the startup screen. Turning the startup logo/clock display off does not speed up. There are about 3 to 5 second time rag between C6 and CG6.
I would say HD1 is the fastest here, probably ready to movieshoot in about 3 seconds.

2) Won't be noticeable until you compare them side-by-side. For C6, Sanyo claimed that they use the "sapphire display" whereas such words are not shown in CG6 catalog. I can see Sanyo went to degrade the display part from C6 to CG6 (as done with HD1 and HD1A) I am very unhappy about the Sanyo's move.
3) It gained the thickness of the LCD flip and flash. Flash is located on the side of the lens, but it gained the thickness of that much.
4) Though Sanyo claims the movie quality is better, I see almost no difference.
5) Now CG6 is capable of taking photos at ISO1600, but I would say ISO400 or higher is not acceptable at all. For the slower ISO speed, it gives the decent movies and photos. All Panasonic CCDs show that tendency, and It is truly disappointing.

If CG6 is the first digital movie camera, I would be very impressed, but since I have been a Sanyo user for 4 years, I did not observe much improvement over a year.

Thought Sanyo advertises ISO1600 digital movie camera that takes movie at candle lighting, the quality is not what everyone would expect for.
Moreover, the approach to the market is like Sony... it looks like an awesome camera by taking a look at the specification, but actual performance is not what it says.

It's a easy-to-use camera for novices, and it sure will impress people who see the camera at the first time,but it would be too much to expect for the quality of photos and movies for existing users.
I would recommend this camera for someone who are looking for a small camera that takes movie and photos and this is the first camera that takes both photos and movies. well, it's not for people who look for the quality of movies.

I am not really a person who does review and I am not professional to anything, but this is what I can say about CG6 and if it offers the language options (Unlike any other Sanyo cameras, Japanese is the only option that shows in Language menu)

It is just my humble opinion and I don't want everyone to take it seriously, but I think I will start leaving comments on my flickr photos that I took with CG6.

'Hirosan'

Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:13 AM   #16

Interesting feedback from Hirosan, thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:18 AM   #17

I found a japanese site that made a test between Sanyo HD1, C6 and CG6:

Sanyo HD1, ISO 200

http://c-kom.homeip.net/review/blog/...est_iso200.mp4

Sanyo C6, ISO 200

Sanyo CG6, ISO 200

Here is another sample from CG6:

http://c-kom.homeip.net/review/blog/...g6_movie01.mp4

chrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 4:37 AM   #18

Season's Greetings!

I finally catching up with my personal email and... I was aware of this thread but finally I just have got some time to leave a message...

Today, Sanyo Epson Imaging Devices Corp. announced that it becomes Epson Imaging Devices Corp.
http://www.sanyo-epson.com/e/newsroom/061226/index.html

I hoped this is not the end of Sanyo's awesome Organic Light Emitting Diode display and amorphous silicon display for Xacties... HD1A received a plastic body and regular LCD, no longer a "sapphire" (Amorphous Silicon) display.

Unfortunately, CG6 does not impress me anymore because I have seen previous models.

I am finding out how to upload movie clips too YouTube to be seen at the best quality. .mov files obviously look miserable on YouTube so I am converting divx before uploading, that gives quicker and slightly better movie quality.
Attached Images

hirosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:04 PM   #19

Looks just like a company name change. I don;t think it will change much.
Thanks for your candid reveiw fo the CG6
-brian
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:27 AM   #20

I looked further at the Japanese link provided earlierand found some good pictures comparing the size of c-6, cg6 and hd-1.See link below. Notice how much larger the 2.5" screen is than the 2" which makes a world of difference for anyone who is over 40 like me. I looked at the 2 inch screen on the c-6 at circuit city and decided it was just too small no matter how many more pixels the two inch screen had. I took a chance and bought the cg6 from warehouse 123. Ireceived it in three days from Hong Kong to Tucson. Fed Ex is amazing. I am very happy so far with my choice as I can read/see the screen even without my reading glasses. As for thickness, yes it is a little thicker but notice it is a little shorter and maybe even a little narrower as an offset. Still fits in a tight jean pocket, no problem.

Couple of positives not mentionedbefore is it has what seems to me much easier and more logical connections to the tv and computer.CG6hooks up to computer using an ordinary usb cable /mini usb plug?( same plug as my motorola razr phone,palm pilot, Logitech remote, etc. ) with no need for the funky adaptor or the docking cradleand it can charge the battey while attached to your computer. It also includes a simple av out jack in the camera. Also, cg6 includes anAC Adaptor Battery Charger and warehouse 123 even throws in an extra battery. Negative isno remote and the av adaptor plug is too short, just 3-4 feet. Bet it is a normal plug ( looks like a regular mini headphone jack that plugs in the camera) that i bet/hope I can get a longer version of at radio schack. I 'll let you know.

http://c-kom.homeip.net/review/blog/...cti_dmx_1.html
rward01 is offline   Reply With Quote