Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:38 AM   #1

Are there any CG6 sample videos floating around?

The specs at http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...cg6/index.html says that videos are up to ISO 7200, which is even better than the C6. I wonder what the quality is actually like.
mitoziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:14 AM   #2

Just in case you are in the USA then I wouldn't get too excited as apparently this model is not going to be available here.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:43 PM   #3

They have some on the Japanese page, get the download versions. The low light one doesn't lookso hot(the video that is, not the girl acting silly), and interestingly according to the TAGS in the MP4 file it's ISO is rated 3600... not any higher than you would find on the C6!? Strange, I don't understand, considering the specs. The one with the animals is ok and cute:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/products/li...ple/index.html

Asrgvcam pointed out, you'd only be able to import it (grey market).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:24 PM   #4

In my opinion, the samples look very close to the C6. There's a few differences with the look of the new CG6, but the videos and the pictures taken with this "newer" hybrid, look the same.
gadgetguy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:56 PM   #5

From the English page, I'm *guessing* what it does is increase the exposure time for each frame, so that there's more light per frame, but the frame rate drops down to 15 fps. (Look at the row "Minimum Illumination for Movies"). But it's not on the Japanese page. Or maybe it is, just that I can't read Japanese heh.

I wonder, is there a way to do this in software? I have some videos shot with the C6 at 30 fps under low-light. It would be great if they could be made brighter somehow.
mitoziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:22 PM   #6

Thanks for pointing that outmitoziz,you've convinced me that is what the CG6 is doing over the C6, longer exposures at 15fps. Personally I find that 15fpsbreaks the illusion of motion too much... but I'd still like to see an example of it to see howlittle light it can handle.

I think software can only do so much, it can increase brightness/gamma but the range is affected and if light was never captured...same withadding two frames , if light was never captured, it's 0+0=0.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:11 PM   #7

Caelum,
But most low-level light tones are captured 1/2 of the time, not zero, and so avg(1+2)=3/2

That is why the Dynamic Noise Reduction filter I use with Sony Vegas (MikeCrash's) sure makes the ASA400 movies look a lot cleaner, because smart averaging of a number of frames really works well to get rid of the MPEG4 blockiness at the low light levels, allowing you to boost the overall image intensity....

ps: unfortunately it seems as though the original archive of those filters, mcvegas.zip, is no longer available for download

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:24 PM   #8

Found it... thanks Trevmar I'll give it a try.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9

I just found some photos online, from a CG6, that look very nice indeed. Take a look at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirosan...7594380626857/

Some are 'ISO 800', looking (relatively) clean and sharp... and several at 'ISO 1600' looking a little noisy

Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:06 AM   #10

The image at URL

which was taken at ISO 50, clearly shows how effective the new Gyroscope stabilization is on the CG6. Note that the train is crystal clear, yet the (moving) passengers on the platform are just a blur... at 1/2 seconds shutter speed:G

I also get the impression from the second ISO 1600 shot (1/35 second, f3.5) that the amount of noise seems about the same as I get on the C6 at ISO 400, which is really quite a surprise. I had thought that the extra ISO in the CG6 might be coming from a gain push, but these images do not show that. Indeed, by ISO 800 the noise has become barely visible and this would make the camera 4 times more sensitive than my C6, as advertised in the CG6 specs we have seen. Which is pretty interesting indeed

Note that the person who took the shots reveals on this page that he has owned quite a number of digital cameras, including the C1, C6 and HD1. Hmmm...