Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:35 PM   #1

I decided to plump down my money and buy a 4GB SDHC card, of the type which the new C6 firmware supports. This despite the fact that my C6 works fine with both the RiData and Adata SD 2.0 compatible 4 gig cards I already owned.

Well, the SDHC card works well in the C6, but it cannot be read under Windows 2000, or Windows XP, in either my Laptop SD port, or my SanDisk MobileMate SD-USB adapter, or my Dazzle SD-USB adaptor, or even my IPAQ PDA. All these work with the 4GB 'generic' cards. But I cannot read this 'SDHC' card in anything...

In short, maybe your Xacti will record on these things, but the only way you can get the data off is to download it via the camera, which takes the camera out-of-service during the download, and which is terribly inconvenient.

So I suggest you stay away from SDHC right now. There is no advantage to the 8GB cards either, as the FAT32 4GB file limit will still apply, limiting your maximum video storage to 4GB per file. Just buy the 'normal' 4GB SD compatible cards for your Xacti. It works well with both of mine.

ps: I can't believe anybody in this day and age was daft enough to come out with a format which is not backwards compatible...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2

I had assumed and then read that a while ago, andwe somewhat covered it in our last conversation about SDHC (check the Wikipedia quote in my post at the top of page 2). Sorry you were caught off guard with this. Perhaps some card reader manufacturers mightsupplyfirmware/driver updates. Sony did this many times with it's memory stick "standard", older readers could never read the newer cards.

Edit: oh, and I'm curious; what do you record where the camera needs to constantly be filming? I referring to your concern with 4GB per file limit (at least 2h45m per continuous shot), and the camera not being available to transfer files from the SDHC card. I don't think these would be majorissues for casual users, which I thinkmost C6 users are.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:03 AM   #3

I like to take video of some of the technical conference sessions I attend, in case something turns out to be more interesting than I had expected. Two and three quarter hours is usually good enough, but five and a half would cover every conceivable occasion

Personally, having the C6 in my pocket opens a whole new range of possibilities for what I can do, and I try to stretch those possibilities to the limit The ability to work in low light levels is the key...

I have also used the C6 to provide alternate camera angles while filming such presentations for later DVD production. When used with a capable editor like Sony Vegas, which can apply DNR and color/linearity compensation (Sony Color Curves), the C6 works quite well even in such a demanding role...

Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:26 PM   #4

I think you need an SDHC card reader. I guess that's why they are being sold with the SDHC cards in some instances.

See here for example:

http://www.picstop.co.uk/Secure-Digi...0-Reader---4GB

Viviners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:45 PM   #5

My laptop has a built-in card reader socket. It doesn't work with these SDHC cards, either. Do I need a new laptop too?

Nope, this is a bad move for SD IMO. The 4 Gig FAT32 file size limit makes the 8 Gig SDHC cards unattractive anyway, IMO, so I ordered a couple of standard, old, compatible 4 Gig cards this morning. I will bypass SDHC until they stop trying to obsolete my current hardware:sad:

Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:13 AM   #6

I often wonder why memory cards keep hitting a limit before they have to come out with the next incompatible iteration. I am sure I had read long ago that SD cards had a limit of 32GB long before I heard of SDHC. As far as I know, SD cards do have a built in controller like CF cards, so why were they not designed for a 32GB limit in the first place? It's not like they couldn't forsee this. We don't live in the '640K is enough for everyone era anymore' I understand flash technology allowing this may change but surely the principle for reading information from them is the same? Maybe it's partly a marketing strategy to get consumers to upgrade when they wouldn't otherwise.

Even the XD memory cards are going through a different iteration now with M cards being incompatible with previous cameras. I thought the whole reason for dumping Smartmedia was because of this incompatibility everytime they brought out a new capacity. Of course Smartmedia did have a 128MB limit as well.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote