Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:29 AM   #1

I am trying to decide which of the two I should get... read enormous amounts of reviews, both good and bad for each. So I need everyone's help.

Has anyone tried both and which one did they favour?

Thanks everyone
Attached Images

e-autosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2

I haven't tried the SDR-S100. But think of it this way: the HD1A is a 5MP digicam with HD video capabilities whereas the SDR-S100 is a3CCD SD videocam with still capabilities. The SDR-S100 has a videocam 3CCD sensor with 800k resolution (0.8MP), which means it's "3MP still capabilities" are interpolated, not physical. To me the SDR-S100should be a much better video cam with it's 3CCDs and optical stabilization.But I'm in it for casual stuff so I'm not thrilled about the MPEG-2 compression whichconsumes an entire 2GB SD for 25 minutes of videoat standard definition resolution.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

Well informed sources tell me that Panasonic will be announcing some new very small high-definition SD camcorders on 6th December (Not sure whether these replace the SDR-S150 or will be sold alongside it). The compression used will be MPEG-4/H.264 rather than MPEG-2, which means about twice as much video on a given SD card.

The videoquality of these new cams, according to those who have seen the output,isapparently stunning good.

So I would hold your horses for a few days and see what comes out.

Viviners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:38 PM   #4

I was in the same boat and finally decided that the unreliability of the HD1 was scary enough that I would not consider the HD1a.

I bought a Canon A710 to replace my Sanyo C5. I've been running comparison tests and the results have been interesting, at least to me.

The Canon has better video in every way, focus, color and sharpness. The Canon has a 6x zoom which will not zoom while taking video but the digital will work if you need to zoom and it's really not bad at all.

I like having a viewfinder. The Canon and Sanyo LCDs are both unsat in bright sun.

The Canon, though shaped like a camera and not a camcorder, has several video modes for those that are interested in tricky stuff. I use the standard 640x30. It takes quite good indoor video though that wasn't one of my interests.

Size was the most important feature to me and the Canon fits in the same shirt pocket I carried the Sanyo in when I went to the field.

AA batteries are nice.

One minor drawback to the Canon is that you have to switch the rotary dial to change from pictures to videos.

Price was not my major concern but I was able to buy the Canon A710 for $318 delivered with USA warranty. So far, I am very pleased with my purchase.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:13 PM   #5

Canon A710 "Movie clips are recorded in Motion JPEG format" giving only 500 seconds of highest quality within the 1Gig, Canon-imposed, file limit. That is a deal breaker for me, as is the lack of zoom while shooting.

How well does it work in low light at movie mode? Does it film below 30 Lux reasonably well?

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:16 PM   #6

Setter Dog, Iassume e-autosport is considering the video capabilities as of prime importance.Unfortunatly I don't think theA710 would qualify, with it's MJPG w/ uncompressed PCM mono sound which cannot take more than 8-9 minutes of VGA video at a time (1GB filesize limit), yet consumes a full 1GB for that little video. I also have to say that the "transreflective" LCD on my C6 works really well in sunlight for me. And when filming video, I don'tconsider a viewfinder to be an asset.

Viviners, that sounds exciting... almost too good to be true, but I believe Panasonic can do it, luckily we'll find out soon enough. Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:10 AM   #7

About the video in the A710,....I can't comment on the technical aspects of the various formats and I'm well aware of the time limitations,...8 1/2 minutes of 640x30 on a 1GB card. However, this can obviously be changed with a 4GB card, which this camera will handle.

Comparing the A710 to the Sanyo C5 is all I'm able to do. I can tell you this, the quality of the finished video clips is better from the Canon. The autofocus during video taking is dramatically better in the Canon. Although the viewfinder is not the end all, be all, it's nice to have.

Zooming during video taking seemed very important to me until I reviewed quite a few videos I took on hunting trips with my dogs. I used zoom only four or five times out of several hundred clips,......and on only one of these zooms did I consider it an improvement to the overall clip. The Canon will zoom digitally during video and the overall quality is about the same as when zooming with the Sanyo,....except no noise. There is some picture degradation, but no focus degradation.

Low light videos seemed fine during my early "tests" here in the house but I can't vouch for that technically. I don't use these small cameras inside, only outside on bird hunting trips.

To sum up the differences in the Sanyo and the Canon A710, I'm sure that there are technically some advantages to the Sanyo formats. For me, though, it's a case of believing what I see with my own eyes instead of what some reviewer says about this or that.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:20 AM   #8

Hi Guys,.....just another comment about the video capabilities of the Canon A710 and why they were not a limiting factor for me. Actually, 8 1/2 minutes would probably be enough for me on a two day hunting trip. I use the videos to record a "video log" for my own amusement and most clips are under 30 seconds and I may take a half dozen to a dozen of these a day. The 41 minutes of video on my C5 has been plenty for several trips. The difference is with the Canon that I will have to download after each trip and realize I have to have a 4gb card sooner or later.

If I were taking videos of an event or a meeting where I needed to record for 20-30 minutes at a time, I would certainly have chosen something else.

Size and video quality were my main concerns and I think I got what I needed with the Canon. Having said that, I want everyone to know that I have no quarrel with the Sanyo line. I've had my C5 for a long time and it's given me great service. The ONLY complaint I have with it is focusing.

This Canon is not the end all be all for me and when a smaller unit with better video comes out at a good price,....I'll buy it.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:49 AM   #9

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
I'm well aware of the time limitations,...8 1/2 minutes of 640x30 on a 1GB card. However, this can obviously be changed with a 4GB card, which this camera will handle.
Regardless of the card size, that camera will not record more than 8½ minutes per video, it's a built-in limitation, it will not record a video past 1GB.

By the way Viviners, I had seen this news a month ago but I didn't register it was HD on SDHC, I thought it was on DVD-R (which it also is, two different models announced). Sounds like an excellent videocam, but with it's 520K CCDs, I can't see it being a good digicam as well:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...n+SD+card.html
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:24 PM   #10

Thanks for the tip Caelum.
Don't ya love Japanese geek detail - look at the exploded view at URL http://tinyurl.com/ylhjka - You don't see many exploded displays in the USA, even at many trade shows, yet in Japan you find them all over Akihabara. Pride in the product engineering, I guess...

The probable reason for confusing SD with DVD output is because there are apparently two models, the HDC-SD1 and the HDC-DX1.

Hopefully the three 1/4 inch imagers will work OK in low light...the f/1.8 lens will help with that...

Interesting that the inbuilt mics support Dolby surround, yet there is an external mic jack. Is it also 5.1 channels (LOL)?

Can't find any formal, or informal, reviews of it around yet, though...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote