Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:04 AM   #11

I just got a CA40 today and was also a little surprised by the amount of noise from the autofocus and zoom. Outside in a quiet environment the zoom sounds like a distant machine gun firing ta..ta..ta..ta..ta....
The autofocus is similar but I had never heard this in any sample videos I downloaded during my 'research'.
I have to do a 'noisy environment' test sometime too, to be able to compare.

Zooming of course can be avoided. It is in the 'top ten tips for good videos' that you should not zoom.

The autofocus on the otherhand is a little more tricky. Will try the autofocus lock as much as possible I guess.

I will upload a sample sometime so others can comment.
damc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:14 AM   #12

Skapri, I checked out your video: http://skapri33.free.fr/sanyo/test2.mp4
My autofocus noise is exactly the same on my C40. My zoom is however is bit noiser; equal to the autofocus.
I also have a little static noise in the right speaker, but the noise reduction feature will hopefully help this.
Guess we either accept this, or take it back...

Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:19 AM   #13

That noise is quite prominent. I have a Sanyo C40 and haven't noticed any zooming or autofocus noise even in a very quiet environment. Even so, it sounds like the noise in your videos should still easily be heard outside in regular ambient background noise.

Here is one of my videos:

http://dcexp.com/albums/SanyoC40/SANY0017.mp4

As you can hear, there is no obvious noise associated with the zoom or autofocus.

I am wondering if this is the same problem as with the Canon miniDV cameras I kept reading, in that it only affects some and not others?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:11 PM   #14

damc a écrit:
Quote:
Skapri, I checked out your video: http://skapri33.free.fr/sanyo/test2.mp4
My autofocus noise is exactly the same on my C40. My zoom is however is bit noiser; equal to the autofocus.
I also have a little static noise in the right speaker, but the noise reduction feature will hopefully help this.
Guess we either accept this, or take it back...

I've kept my sanyo because warranty is for 3 years and it seems to work good when environment is not too quiet...

skapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:26 PM   #15

That is one of the sample videos I saw before purchasing this camera, so I was quiet surprised that it made so much noise. Besides this there is also some static distortion in the right audio channel, which is disturbing when wearing headphones (probably the first and last time I will do that to be honest; normally I would watch these with the pc speakers on or on a TV - both do not have such detail as my sennheiser headphones).

I knew this camera was a compromise, but this was unexpected. I can ask the local store if they are willing to exchange it for another one, or if they intend to send it away for 'repair'. The latter option will probably just take time with minimal result, don't you think.

By the way, rgvcam, I tested the lowlight recording this evening, and it is like we agreed. 'Romantic' lighting in a living room is too dark; a normal lit living room is ok to film in.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:01 PM   #16

damc wrote:
Quote:
That is one of the sample videos I saw before purchasing this camera, so I was quiet surprised that it made so much noise. Besides this there is also some static distortion in the right audio channel, which is disturbing when wearing headphones (probably the first and last time I will do that to be honest; normally I would watch these with the pc speakers on or on a TV - both do not have such detail as my sennheiser headphones).

I knew this camera was a compromise, but this was unexpected. I can ask the local store if they are willing to exchange it for another one, or if they intend to send it away for 'repair'. The latter option will probably just take time with minimal result, don't you think.

By the way, rgvcam, I tested the lowlight recording this evening, and it is like we agreed. 'Romantic' lighting in a living room is too dark; a normal lit living room is ok to film in.
Considering the noise and the static distortion, if it was myself, I would be inclined to try and get it fixed. After all better to find out whether it can be fixed or not while still within the warranty right?

Of course not picking up the zoom noise seems to be a difficult thing to do in small cameras. The vast majority of digital cameras that record video prevent you from using the zoom while in movie mode. I always wondered why they couldn't just have some sort of noise cancellation mode that filters this sound out like they do with wind noise. Perhaps they already do, which is why the sound doesn't seem to appear in my video shots?

On the other hand, it could just be that the mechanism design is normally 'sound proofed' enough to prevent significant noise travelling to the microphone. As manufacturing tolerances will vary, I guess some will still end up with it being transmitted via the body of the device to the microphone.

This phenomena seems to afflict some miniDV cameras with sound from the tape mechanism as well.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:06 AM   #17

i noticed that after updrading to the new firmware,, the zoom became noisy...

echo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:31 AM   #18

echo7 wrote:
Quote:
i noticed that after updrading to the new firmware,, the zoom became noisy...
It's simply because the recording volume is now dynamic, so the more quiet it is, the higher the recording volume and therefore more camera is heard.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:03 PM   #19

caelum,, the noise wasnt from the recording. I am playing around with the zoom and i can hear the motor.. i can also hear the auto focus adjusting..

I havent had any noise issues when i was with the old firmware.. no big deal but just an observation...

echo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:30 AM   #20

There is no firmware upgrade for the C40 is there?