Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:54 PM   #1

Just started recording video and noticed when recording in quite rooms, you can hear the auto focus adjusting. When I playback the clip you can hear it. It's similar to the noise you hear when you zoom in/out while recording.

Any suggestions? I've tried just using the manual focus and it makes no noise but it seems the picture quality isn't that great.

enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:18 PM   #2

Keep your thumb on the joystick and push up to lock focusonce your subjecthasbeen auto-focused, toggle as neededif your subject moves while recording.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:16 PM   #3

Agreed Caelum, that's one thing Sanyo got right.
Auto-focus is useless in low-light, anyway, as it 'hunts' continuously. But that is a problem with most cameras when they can't 'see' to focus...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:07 PM   #4

Hello everybody, I'm french, so, sorry for my bad english.

I bought a Sanyo Xacti vpc-c6 last week and I would like to know if it's normal that the auto-focus is so noisy. I know that this noiseis normal but I think not like this.

I send you 2 videos who show the autofocus noise.

Can you tell me if it's normal? I need your help quickly because if it's defective, I can return my Sanyo to the seller for replacement.

http://skapri33.free.fr/sanyo/test.mp4

http://skapri33.free.fr/sanyo/test2.mp4

Thank you very much for your answer.

Skapri.
skapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:48 AM   #5

skapri, it seems to be a very quiet environment (I could onlydownload thesecond one). With the latest firmware, the recording volume will auto adjust, so ifthe environment is very quiet, the recording volume will be very high and it will pick up more little sounds like the camera's, if there are more sounds, then the recording volume will be more normal and the camera's sounds will be less prevelent, in louder environments, then you should barely heard the camera itself. As mentionned above, in quiet environments try to lock the auto-focus.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:17 AM   #6

Hello, the first link is good now. I have the new firmware yes, but 4 users of this sanyo think my camera has a big problem after viewing my videos.

And this noise is very important in quiet environment, but it's present in all situations, another video who shows this sound :

http://skapri33.free.fr/videos/sanyo/vfr.wmv

Caelum, can you upload a video in a very quiet environment using the zoom, like that I could see if it's normal...

Thank you for your help.

Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:25 AM   #7

I get similar noise in very quiet environments. Ok, I just took one now, new firmware (it's more prone to this, as it auto-adjusts recording volume), indoor,40W incandescent lightbulb (it's dark outside), only PC fan noise, zoom-in+ auto-focus noise:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/fc77f9/(select , click 'Download for free with FileFactory Basic', then 'Click here to begin download')

Another thing I recommend, is to turn off the digital image stabilizer if you are going to move or pan the camera, as you did in your bike video. When you pan, the digital stabilizer is fighting the camera movement, and canproduce jerky movements. With the digital stabilizer off, a camera pan can be smooth. Of course, you also need to hold the camera steady.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 PM   #8

Thank you very much, I don't use the digital image stabilizer on the "tests" videos but for the vfr.wmv yes.

So apparently my camera functions normally, but it doesn't seem auto-adjust recording volume when I'm in noisy environment.

Caelum If you are a little bit of music near camera, the auto-focus noise desappears?

Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:36 PM   #9

With a 'little bit of music' I'll probablystill hear the camera motors when in use.It takesloud environments to not hear the camera noises, like downtown (traffic and all), live music, groups of people talking, etc.

But, as mentionned above, you cankeep noise to a minimum. If youlock the auto-focus (toggleSET up) when your subject is in focus, orfix the focus range, for example 80cm to infinity (toggle SET down once),the camera will not make any noise.

Edit: Look at a video taken by Engadget with an Xacti, you can hear the auto-focus and zoom, but when people talk, it's not so bad. (Note that the downloadable MP4 version has been re-compressedwith H.264 at a lower resolution)
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:47 PM   #10

Thank you very much Caelum.

I can see your camcorder has the same noise, but 3 persons in france who have the sanyo C6 haven'tthis noiseor in a very quiet environment we can hear it a little.

Anybody else could share a video in the same conditions? If it's similar, I can tell me that my sanyo (and yours Caleum:G) doesn't need a repair.

(I've seen the video you have mentioned and I'm sure my camera is noisier... )