Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Administrator

Folks, to fill an 8GB card is going to require numerous batteries with the C6. Once you pass the 2GB size card it's the battery that becomes the limiting factor in how long you can record video.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:18 AM   #12

Right on Sanyo, I returned my 2GB card and got my $35 back and checked on Pricewatch for one of the 8GB SDHC cards (secure digital high capacity).
I see Meritline has a class 2 Transcend 8GB SDHC for $101.95 US right now, woot!!!!
Class 2 = 2 MB/s, class 4 = 4MB/s, class 6 = 6 MB/s.
So obviously you'd want the class 6 for fast downloading, but what is the maximum DTS for the C6? DTS = data transfer speed. I read another page that said, don't waste your money on a class 6 if your camera can only go 2 MB/s, ie, just buy the class 2. But I don't want to buy a class 2 if the C6 can handle a class 6!
Thanks in advance :G
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:01 PM   #13

The C6 can handle a class 6 card. Your benefit will be on the transfer from the card to the computer.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:36 PM   #14

Thanks again Sanyo

I checked the spec for my 2GB Sandisk Ultra II that I bought last year, it says it has 10MB/s read, 9MB/s write speed capability. Kind of blows away SDHC Class 6 at 6MB/s minimum write speed.

Actually, Sandisk has another spec they call "Sandisk Extreme III" which is capable of 20MB/s read and write. Wow! I checked the spec for "Sandisk Ultra II SDHC", nothing listed i.e. class 6 or whatever, though I would guess it is good for the same 10/9 performance as my existing 2GB card.

Just thought about it: 1x = 150kb/s so 20MB/s = 133x speed. There are lots of 133x speed SD cards available, I never bought one for the C6 because of so many compatibility issues. Class 6 SDHC = 6MB/s = 40x speed, actually that's pretty ordinary. Class 2 = 2MB/s = 13x speed, bleck!

I checked on Wikipedia, USB 2.0 is apparently good for about 30MB/s (theoretical maximum of 60MB/s). If you can find out Sanyo, and wouldn't mind, how fast are the Xacti cameras good for? Is the limitation in the cord, or in the camera electronics?

One last question for Steve: remember the thread about SD cards "which SD cards DO and DON'T work on the C6??" Just out of curiousity, has the firmware update fixed any of those compatibility problems?

Thanks again Steve & Sanyo!:|

Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:16 PM   #15

Wow.. Newegg already has an A-Data 8GB SDHC for $69.99.

Cheapest deal I could find on pricegrabber.com.

Looks like prices are plummeting quickly on these Class 2.0 / 8GB SDHC cards!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:30 AM   #16

I was wondering if a 4gb PQI 150x (not SDHC) would work on my C6 with the new FW.. I read that steve's got it ti work on his HD1.. and.. are those cheap sdhc class 2 suitable for a C6? thanks..
c_g_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:46 PM   #17

I already asked about the high-perf SD cards working with the firmware update, no response yet??

Class 2 should be good for the C6, here's why: the max recording speed of the C6 is 3 Mb/s, which is about 0.3 MB/s (in general there's 10 bits moved to store a single 8-bit byte). However, the Class 2 is rated to a minimum recording speed of 2 MB/s. Soany Class 2 card is at least6x faster than the fastest recording rate of the C6 camera; there is no need for Class 4 or Class 6.

That's just recording rate, playback rate is another matter. I saw another card with this odd spec: Class 2 & 60x. That means it can sustain recording speed ofat least2 MB/s anddubbing speed of 60 x 150 kb/s = 9 MB/s.

Class 2 would be the cheapest, Class 4 & Class 6I presume would bemore expensive but unnecessary for the C6. The best deal would be something like Class 2 &200x which would record at 2 MB/s but dub off at 30 MB/s. Actually, I found out USB 2.0 has a max theoretical speed of about 60 MB/s so that would be a pretty good card! Class 2 &400x would be the best you could get in terms of adequate recording capability, fantastic dubbing speed,and lowest possibleprice.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:24 AM   #18

wow.. I got a little lost with your explanation Grunchy.. first with the Mb vs MB thing, are you sure class 2 cards have the minimum 3Mb or MB recording rate required by the C6?.. then you're talking about class 2 cards having another specification like 200x or 400x.. I assume you're talking about transfert speed (?)..

what about that class 2 - 8 gigs Adata card you linked 2 post before?? would it be suitable for my C6?.. what would be its transfer speed?..

I read in this or maybe another thread that someone had tried a 8gig card with the c6 and apparently it worked but then he/she didn't answer further questions..

I'm going in a trip in 2 weeks and a 8gig card would be perfect because I won't have access to a PC too often..

a off-topic question, I have the japanese C6 version (DMX and not VPC).. would that posted FW work for me?..

answers are welcome..
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:59 AM   #19

Yup, I have the Japanese DMX-C6 as well. I downloaded the firmware update and it created two directories, one was for DMX-C6 only and the other for VPC-C6 & DMX-C6. I chose the upgrade from the second directory, and it worked just fine!

As it so happens, any of the Class 2 SDHC cards have at least 6x faster recording capability than the C6 requires. Class 2 = 2MB/s recording capability = 20 Mb/s which is 6x greater than 3 Mb/s required by C6.

The fastest I've heard of are 200x SD cards, the best I've seen mentioned for the SDHC is a class 2 with 60x transfer speed. That's not bad and matches my Sandisk II ultra 2GB.

As for traveling, Yes!! Go get the 8GB card for that! I recommend you have 1 spare battery with you, at least (they are tiny).

In fact... now that 8GB cards are plummeting... I'm seriously thinking about waiting for a big 16GB card instead!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:03 PM   #20

just ordered a Trascend 8GB SDHC class 2 card.. I'll let you know how much time remaining the C6 displays with it..