Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1

I recently purchased a C6 from Best Buy. I had to return it because it started to malfunction. Here's the interesting part: Best Buy no longer carries it. It's not out of stock, it's not in the system anymore. Now Circuit City is clearing them out too.

That would suggest that a replacement is coming soon. CG6 soon?
nosro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:47 PM   #2

Or maybe not, read the post from Sanyo on Sept. 26 about the CG6 not coming to the USA.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:31 PM   #3

I would like to see Sanyo eventually bring out a cheaper version of their high defintion camcorders. A price point of around $400 would be nice. I really don't care whether it's considered 'true high defintion' or not. The fact is, the video is much nicer than the regular Sanyo Xacti series and 9Mbps is the same as DVD bitrate but with more efficient compression than the MPEG-2 used by that media.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:45 PM   #4

Caelum wrote: Yeah, I read that. But if C6's are disappearing, they are going to have to replace it with something. And since it is a year old, virtually "ancient" in the digital camera world, it is due for some kind of replacement.
nosro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:21 AM   #5

They actually have the CA6 couple months ago. Do you think it's replacement for C6?

nosro wrote:
Quote:
Caelum wrote: Yeah, I read that. But if C6's are disappearing, they are going to have to replace it with something. And since it is a year old, virtually "ancient" in the digital camera world, it is due for some kind of replacement.
Firstmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:44 AM   #6

I can find the VPC-CG6 available on ebay and warehouse123.com

Price is under $400. It's nice but the price of CA6 is around $300 only. Anyone can compare the performance between CG6 and CA6? Any difference between VPC and DMX model?

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see Sanyo eventually bring out a cheaper version of their high defintion camcorders. A price point of around $400 would be nice. I really don't care whether it's considered 'true high defintion' or not. The fact is, the video is much nicer than the regular Sanyo Xacti series and 9Mbps is the same as DVD bitrate but with more efficient compression than the MPEG-2 used by that media.
Firstmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:03 PM   #7

It's my understanding that there really isn't a lot of difference between the C6 and the CG6 to get worked up about. It's more a tweaking of the C6 than anything radically new. I'm sure the Sanyo guy on here will correct me on this though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:53 PM   #8

Actually, having just pressed a DVD made primarily from footage shot with the C6, even a minor tweaking of the low-light algorithms would be enough to get me excited. And they do seem to have done something with low-light in the CG6, although nobody seems to be sure exactly what:sad:

I found that the footage I took at 400ASA (x9), with an ambient of about 30 Lux, had far too much noise, requiring pretty high settings on my Dynamic Noise Reduction filter in post-production, while that I took at 200ASA (or Auto) had far too much digitization chunkyness in the darker regions, again requiring extensive DNR filtering to give a final acceptable result.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote