Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:52 AM   #11

This is a company I use on ebay in the UK for my C6 batteries, and I've bought some of these 850mah ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-Sanyo-DB-L...QQcmdZViewItem

If the auction has ended, contact Premium Digital directly, and they'll probably re-list them for you. A very helpful person called Sam works there, I recommend them very highly.

I've been using these batteries for quite a few months now with no problems.

Hope this helps

Vince

vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:48 AM   #12

I disagree with Vince. I have purchased batteries off Ebay from a variety of sources for my C6. Each one of them has only 75% of the capacity (on average) of the Sanyo. The last brand I tried, Maximal Power, who advertised "Japanese Cells," just told me "what did you expect for the price" when I complained. It was a DB-L20H, rated at 900maH, saying "Cells made in Japan, Assembled in China." I also bought some Chinese 850maH DB-L20 batteries, and they were essentially identical to the "Maximal Power" one, about 45 minutes running time (Sanyo=1hour).

If you buy any OEM cells for the C6 make sure you test them by leaving the C6 running on video for an hour (which is all the Sanyo DB-L20 is good for) before you accept them...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:10 AM   #13

That's a good point you've made Trevmar, I haven't done any scientific studies timewise of how long the 850 mah ones I've bought last, but from the sort of use I have for my C6 on holidays, movie clips, photos, playback etc. The ones I've had seem to be giving me at least the same sort of mileage as the original Sanyo one...but I guess anyone can print anything on the side of a battery!

I guess the only way to make sure is to do as you suggest and run the video for as long as possible and see what timings you get.
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:33 PM   #14

Before you test too much, cycle the new batteries a few times, it take a few cycles for them to reach full capacity. I bought some DB-L20 batteries from ebay too, and they are marked 850mAH. They seem to last about the same in the C40, but I have not tested exactly. The interesting thing is that the generic batteries are 18.6 gm, and the Sanyo is 16.6 gm, so they maybe could have extra capacity.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:34 PM   #15

I did 4 cycles on each battery and noted the discharge time after each cycle. Only the first and second cycles made much difference. Why not actually do some testing yourself? If you have something bettter than the Sanyo's DB-L20 I will be the eager to go and buy several of them.

Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:53 PM   #16

Folks,

I have a simple advice after 9-months experience with my C6:
you should have 6-7 batteries for full day shutting.
It means - you have to buy 3 pair of them by $10 per each. They are so small so it's not a problem to carry them at all.
The real problem is how to charge 7 batteries during the following night (if you're in the trip) and have just 1 charger.
The best choice is to have 2-3 chargers with you in the long trip or charge batteries continuously during the day.

FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:27 PM   #17

FKZAP,
I use an IPOD USB external charger box with 4 x NiMH AA cels to power the C6 through the 5V power on its accessory block, even when on the tripod. A set of fully-charges 2300 maH AAs lasts for about 2 hours of shooting, and keeps the internal battery full as well.
for example, http://tinyurl.com/ygpj3o

Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:47 AM   #18

Thank you Trevmar,

Good to know and I'm defenatelly going to buy this unit.

But you should agree with me that even 4 C6 batteries have smaller weight/size factor then this unit. Of course, it's much easier to find 4 AAs than the charging point during the trip.

This is why I want to have a lot of batteries plus IPOD charger.

Thank you again,

FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:37 AM   #19

Hi sergeus,

I finally downloaded and took at look at your 3 SHQ video clip, and yes, the "noise" seen in the HQ clip is still there.

I think as rgvcam said, this is due to the complexity of the scene with lots of different patterns and colors, and the camera's video bitrate is just not high enough to resolve, ie this is video compression artifact. I notice the same when I shoot outdoor in the lawn - blades of grass form a very fine pattern which cannot be completely resolved by the camera, so they appear grainy and "noisy" on the video. This is particular worse when you pan (sweep) the camera too quickly.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:36 PM   #20

The camera has a sharpening capability, and you need to turn this off to get good smooth images without sharpening artifacts on, for example, blades of grass. Go to the "Option" menu, select "Image Settings" and then select "Soft"