Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:55 PM   #1

Hi guys!

I am from Ukraine. I bought Sanyo CA6 for several days ago. I was make some movies and photos and was not happy with record quality.
There are much noise in video. And photos looks not sharp (maybe because of big exposure time and small sensivity...).
Can you please to look at my movie? http://webfile.ru/1227164
Is this a normal quality for CA6?

Thanks.
Serge
Sergeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:34 PM   #2

I downloaded your video clip. Since you cannot find out the video bitrate from MP4 files, I "converted" the MP4 file to a DIVX/XVID AVI file with MP4CAM2AVI, then use AVICodec to see what video bitrate the clip has.

It turns out to be around 2 Mbps, which corresponds to "TV-HQ", the second best video setting. May be your CA6 has been set to "TV-HQ" setting at the factory.

In my experience with the C6 (which is supposed to be identical to the CA6 except the waterproofing), you need to set it to the highest "TV-SHQ" setting to get the best quality. TV-HQ setting gives you about 1 hour of video per 1 GB, TV-SHQ gives you about 41 minutes per 1 GB.

You should also check the picture quality setting when you are in the menu - just in case the factory does not set the picture to the highest setting 6M-H (Note: 10M is an interpolated setting. It gives a larger picture but not the best picture quality).

If you don't know how to navigate the menu: press MENU button, find menu "1" by flicking the joystick to the left once or twice, then flick joystick down to find "TV-HQ" symbol, and flick joystick right to choose "TV-SHQ" amongst all settings, press the joystick (it is also a button) to fix the setting, press MENU button to go back to record mode. The picture quality setting is above the video quality setting.

In terms of low light performance, I find that your video is not much different from my C6 - of course I cannot be certain because the light level in your room was different, but at least I do not find your video completely dark or the color very faded. I had a C4 before: the video in the same dim light condition (eg. one 60W light bulb in a small room) was completely dark.

I also find that the still picture quality of the C6 not as good as other point & shoot cameras by major brand names like Canon, Fuji or Nikon - the image is softer and the color not as accurate at least in the AUTO setting. I use my C6 mainly as a pocket-size camcorder, and I think video is where this gadget shines.

Hope this helps.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:59 AM   #3

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded your video clip. Since you cannot find out the video bitrate from MP4 files, I "converted" the MP4 file to a DIVX/XVID AVI file with MP4CAM2AVI, then use AVICodec to see what video bitrate the clip has.

It turns out to be around 2 Mbps, which corresponds to "TV-HQ", the second best video setting. May be your CA6 has been set to "TV-HQ" setting at the factory.

In my experience with the C6 (which is supposed to be identical to the CA6 except the waterproofing), you need to set it to the highest "TV-SHQ" setting to get the best quality. TV-HQ setting gives you about 1 hour of video per 1 GB, TV-SHQ gives you about 41 minutes per 1 GB.

You should also check the picture quality setting when you are in the menu - just in case the factory does not set the picture to the highest setting 6M-H (Note: 10M is an interpolated setting. It gives a larger picture but not the best picture quality).

If you don't know how to navigate the menu: press MENU button, find menu "1" by flicking the joystick to the left once or twice, then flick joystick down to find "TV-HQ" symbol, and flick joystick right to choose "TV-SHQ" amongst all settings, press the joystick (it is also a button) to fix the setting, press MENU button to go back to record mode. The picture quality setting is above the video quality setting.

In terms of low light performance, I find that your video is not much different from my C6 - of course I cannot be certain because the light level in your room was different, but at least I do not find your video completely dark or the color very faded. I had a C4 before: the video in the same dim light condition (eg. one 60W light bulb in a small room) was completely dark.

I also find that the still picture quality of the C6 not as good as other point & shoot cameras by major brand names like Canon, Fuji or Nikon - the image is softer and the color not as accurate at least in the AUTO setting. I use my C6 mainly as a pocket-size camcorder, and I think video is where this gadget shines.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for reply. You are completely right. I take my video in HQ (2Mbps) instead of SHQ (2Mbps). But there is no much difference in comparation of noise in this two modes (IMHO).
In booth cases it has near the same noise quality. My light bulb was 200W in dark room.
Also, I have another question (maybe, this need to be written in another forum thread) - about what hardware DVD/MPEG4 player do I need to play this video (.mp4)? I try XORO hsd-4000, but was no success. This model can play "nero digital " format (IMHO, mp4 container with aac sound). The video stops playing after several seconds, and no sound. I put my video in AVI container with MP4Cam2AVI (and convert AAC to MP3 128kbps/2ch) and hsd-4000 plays video normal, but sound looks started before image and after ~20 seconds no sound.
Xoro hsd-4000 has Zoran 776 chip inside. I guess that this is a problem of chipset, because changing of firmware has no success.
Maybe, I need to look for devices with ESS Vibrato II or MT1389 chips inside....

Thanks in advice!
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:39 PM   #4

Hi Sergeus,

RE: video quality -

I don't think switching the image stabilization on and off makes too much difference, but you can try that. I don't think you would have set the ISO manually (I always leave it in AUTO and there is no problem with the video). I don't think any other settings (eg. white balance) affect the noise level.

I do see more noise in the CA6 clip you posted, maybe you can repeat the clip in exact same lighting condition with the highest TV-SHQ setting and post it again, so that us C6 user can watch it again (other C6 user comments are most welcome). I do notice the TV-HQ clip you posted have more "grains" - this is not necessarily "noise" and can be compression artifact, that is why I checked the video bitrate first and attribute the "grains" to a lower bitrate.

RE: hardware DVD player to play MP4 -

You have already done the right thing by converting the MP4 file to DIVX AVI with MP4CAM2AVI, so that it can play with a DVD/DIVX player. The only problem is to correct the audio-video gap (a known problem with many digital cameras' video mode, according to the author of MP4CAM2AVI) - this is probably NOT a problem with your DIVX player.

MP4CAM2AVI has a built-in function to fix this delay:

** Read the Help file of MP4CAM2AVI **

The function you need is in "Audio Advance settings" -> "Audio track delay, ms"

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5

You may want to try the camera out on scenes of different complexity. Because this camera uses a highly compressed MPEG4 format with a much lower bitrate than even a DVD camera, any scenes which have a lot of complexity, will tend to look more noisy due to the same bandwidth having to compress more detail in the picture. The video clip you have, has a carpet with a complex pattern on it for a start. It's the same when you shoot scenes with trees and grass etc. There is so much detail that they will look more noisy due to the artifacting whereas a scene shot near buildings will tend to look better as they have large areas of uniform color etc. Also you are giving it an additional handicap in that you are shooting in indoors which will introduce some noise into the image to start with.

So I would advise trying out in different situations to see how it compares.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:14 AM   #6

Yup, like with most cameras, more light goes a long way to reducing noise (I also neveruse less thanSHQ). I've been converting old Super8 films recently, and wow, are they ever grainy and fuzzy by comparison. But those films really needed light, in fact it's quite funny to see all the people being filmed covering their eyes as they are blinded by the 350 watt halogen "sun gun" for the indoor shots.:lol:
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:42 AM   #7

I played a bit with Super 8 in the 80's when it was already effectively obsolete as I couldn't afford a camcorder back then! I was surprised to find out that you can still get the Super 8 film today even though they no longer make any of the equipment.

I consider my Sanyo Xacti C40 the spiritual successor to my Super 8 camera, as it is just as fun to use for the sake of it :lol:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:30 PM   #8

Hi friends!

Thanks for reply! I uploaded my SHQ example here: http://webfile.ru/1233038
Light conditions was the same (200W in dark room).
On TV it looks acceptable (even in HQ with bitrate 2kbps) because we have TV PAL standard (720х576).
Also, maybe it will be interesting for somebody who wants to use standalone DVD/MPEG4 players: I make a tests with:
1. XORO hsd-4000 (cpu Zoran7), but in both containers - AVI and MP4 it was not success. It looks like cpu speed (frequency?) not enough to process 2-3 Mbps video stream.
2. XORO hsd-415 (cpu ESS 6688 ) - situation looks better, but as the lack of speed we have unsinchronization video and audio in time.
3. DreamX-110 (cpu MT1389) - it did not see .mp4 files (i think it can be fixed with firmware), but can play my video in AVI container!!!! I am happy!

So, I think that any dvd/mpeg4
player with MT1389 chipset will play that videos because Mediatek 1389 chipset has enought power (DAC 108MHz/12bit video + 192kHz /24bit audio).

Thanks all of You! I will try to make tests outdoors in a sunny day!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:35 PM   #9

Guyz, my new question about temperature of battery my CA6.
After near 1 hour of usage (record + playback) the temperature of camera body grows up... it was near 60 deg C.:shock:
I take that battery and it was very hot (maybe more than 60 degC)....
As I know max t should not be more than 60 deg?

And another question: is it possible to buy battery more than 750 mAh for that camera?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:00 PM   #10

RE: temperature of battery - I also find the same. I have taken three videos which lasted the whole 41 minutes (I don't use 2 GB cards), and the camera and battery were always quite hot to touch. It never affect the function or performance of the camera and the battery ..... yet.

RE: capacity of C6/ CA6 batteries - no I have not found any third party batteries that have a capacity higher than 750 mAh. Other users any comment?