Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:46 PM   #1

Hello All:

I just got my HD1a. I've been experimenting shooting vids and downloading them onto my computer. When I am viewing the short videos, many of them have issues where the sound and image aren't synching, or the image freezes and then jumps ahead a second or two...

I'm using a 3 year old Dell laptop with XP Pro with 512 RAM, not sure what my video card is. I've tried viewing the vids using Quicktime, ACDC, and other applications, but they all seem to have the same issue.

When I play back the vids on the HD1a, not on the computer, they're fine. I'm wondering if I don't have enough RAM or if my video card isn't beefy enough...

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks
omh65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:20 PM   #2

Your PC all-around needs to be powerful enough. It's mostly your CPU doing the heavy lifting decoding the HD MPEG-4 streamsfollowed by your GPU to accelerate the video output;your RAM, and bus speed also playtheir part. You could try a more efficient media player like VLCor MPC, but in the end you still need a PC powerful enough to decode MPEG-4 HD content in real-time. More RAM alone will not solve your problem. But Quicktime is not efficient on the PC, and I've never heard of ACDC... the band yes.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:45 PM   #3

Caelum:

Many thanks for the answer. I'm wondering what you are suggesting when you say "powerful enough" in terms of the computer's capacty. Can you give me some minimum #s I should be looking at for processor and other factors? Thanks in advance for that.

Sorry, it is ACDSee not ACDC.

I really appreciate the help.

Best,
O
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:02 PM   #4

omh65, well, based on Sanyo's HD1 software manual it states that to play backHD or 60fps video, the CPU requirements are: "Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz or more", so I assume that's the minimum. It runs fine on my Athlon64, as I'm sure it would with most of the latest processors. Afast DirectX 9 video card with it's ownhigh-speed memory would help as well. System RAMquantity isn't an issue for just playing videos, but RAM speed helps.

I've used ACDSee, actually paid for a license back in the day, but I don't consider it a good, or efficientplayer/viewer anymore. Did you try VLC? Depending on the processor you have now (you don't mention), it might actually work.

Edit: minimum specs are also in the HD1A's english software pack manual: page 12.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:10 AM   #5

C:

Downloaded VLC and it works great! You know, I thought I had done my due diligence in researching the HD1a but never thought about the playback requirements for my computer. Well, I'll keep experimenting and see what happens.

Again, thanks very much for your guidance.

O
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:46 AM   #6

Ok, no problem, glad to see VLC is at least helping out. Have fun.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:37 PM   #7

For everyone's information:

These videos play without any noticable stuttering or pausing (aka: smoothly) on my computer, which has a 1.8Ghz Celeron. That's with VLC. With other programs, it's a little slow.

(512MB(forgot the speed), 128MB GeForce FX5200)
patrickriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:58 PM   #8

I find that the mp4 videos play better from the hard drive. Sometimes, the mp4 videos are more jumpy when played DIRECTLY from the CD. When converting to DVD format, they play well from the DVD drive.

:idea:

Regards,

jbat2

jbat2 is offline   Reply With Quote