Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

Does anyone have a recomendation for the best editing software for Windows for the MP4 format? I have Premier Elements but that software is buggy, and when editing MP4 the video is very choppy in the preview mode, and after I compile the final result the video and audio are always out of synch. Anything that runs smoothly? I don't mind spending some money (because it's a tax deduction for me), I just want something that works well and doesn't give me headaches.
WingFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2

I really like Sony Vegas (6) and it handles my C6 MP4s natively very well; trimming & preview of MP4s are smooth, and renders to DVDwith "best" settingdoes an excellent job;never hadsync issues.

(AlternativelyMP4Cam2AVI would allow you to use any video editing program).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:40 AM   #3

I convert using MP4Cam2AVI, then use Ulead video Studio 9, but its a slow process! Unless I've got anything major to do, I simply use Ulead Movie factory 4 and edit the start/stop points of movie clips within that, so there's no need to re-render a clip before creating thedisc.
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4

[size=Folks

From the beginning I use Ulead Video Studio Plus with MP4 support for video editing. It's easy enough for self-starters but it gives a lot of tools to make your video fancy.

I also use ACDSee Pro 9 for stills editing and MemoriesOnTV to create mpeg-2 file off my stills.
Nero Vision Express is my toll for combining mpeg-2 from UVS and MoTV in the movie.

I've tried to use Roxio 9 as a single replacement for all my "toys" but quickly returned backto "multi-program"technology. ][/size]
[size=
For me much more convenient to use a few simple programs than one complicated package.][/size]
FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
I really like Sony Vegas (6) and it handles my C6 MP4s natively very well; trimming & preview of MP4s are smooth, and renders to DVDwith "best" settingdoes an excellent job;never hadsync issues.

(AlternativelyMP4Cam2AVI would allow you to use any video editing program).
Are you talking about their expensive "production" version or the much less expensive "movie studio" version?

In looking around I see there is a new version of Premier Elements out (3.0, I have 2.0). So I may try that.
WingFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:39 PM   #6

WingFat wrote:
Quote:
Are you talking about their expensive "production" version or the much less expensive "movie studio" version?
Yes, the production version. The "movie studio" versions appear to be the same software, just with reduced features? I'm not sure.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:27 AM   #7

I use VideoStudio 10. It imports MP4 movies.

Here's the process I found for getting the best DVD output from VideoStudio:
1) Import MP4 Clips and add any video edits you like
2) Render the entire movie to AVI format
3) Start a new project and import your AVI and then render to Mpeg2 (DVD-NTSC)
4)Start a new project, create DVD using the mpeg2 video. This part goes fairly quickly since the Video is already DVD compliant.

may seem like a lot of work but the output is better than just burning a DVD from the start.

b
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:18 AM   #8

I want to edit MP4.
I want to keep the original quality. No re-encoding.
:ak47:I want to delete the waste at the start and end of clips. It needlessly burdens drive space.
I want it free.

:love: I choose MPEGStreamclip.
http://www.squared5.com/

I can't edit in Ulead DVD Movie Factory. However, the trimmed clips now work great in the provided Movie Factory software. Maybe in your Premier Elements too?

If there is something better for trimming and joining, outside of the in-camera functions, I'd like to know.
xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 3:29 PM   #9

xactic6 wrote:
Quote:
:love: I choose MPEGStreamclip.
I triedMPEGStreamclip about a year ago, it was great... Quicktime Pro editing features, but forfree. I haven't tried it since, but I remember it was good, although it depends on Quicktime being installed as it uses it's engine. I don't know of a better one to cut/join MP4s without re-encoding.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:46 PM   #10

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
I triedMPEGStreamclip about a year ago, it was great... Quicktime Pro editing features, but forfree. I haven't tried it since, but I remember it was good, although it depends on Quicktime being installed as it uses it's engine.
Caelum, I found the free MPGStreamclip improved in the 12-30-2006 update to release 1.1.

I followed the http://www.5squared.com suggestion to download free QuickTime Alternative to save the $20 Apple wants for the handy MP2 decoder ability. No problems so far, and no more clicking through nagware messages to purchase QT Pro version!:bye:

xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote