Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:55 AM   #1

Hello there,

Did a search for 'class' through this forum and didn't find anything

I just received my HD1A and now I have to buy an SD card for it.
Initially thought of getting an SDHC but since most of current SD host machines are not SDHC compatible, I chose to buy an SD over SDHC card.

Now, I read about class 2,4,6 regarding SD cards. Class 6 providing the fastest read/write speed.
I'd like to know if those (class 2,4,6) have any impact on video/picture quality taken by the HD1A.
Those who already own an HD1A, can you please help me out with this?

Steve, you mentioned which card you use when reviewing the HD1A but can you please confirm its 'class' speed please.

Thanks,
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:38 AM   #2

Speed "Classes"were introduced withSDHC cards. It's how they decided todenote/regulate speeds on the SDHC cards rather than the unregulated multiple designation usedon SD cards (which was often read, not write speed). Itwill not have any impact on your HD1A's video/picture quality, it will mostly just speed upthe transfer of files to your PC after shooting.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:28 AM   #3

Thanks for replying Caelum.

During my research, I found the following - This info comes from Sandisk website: http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1441

At the bottom of the page it says the SD association defined 3 speeds for both SD/SDHC miniSD/miniSDHC. Am just trying to clear things up to make an informed purchase.

Anybody else can confirm that?
It could be that it's only recently that the SD Association created those class speeds?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:14 AM   #4

Tiger Direct is advertising this SDHC card at 3MB/s write speed for Class 2. By comparison, a typical 133x or 150x SD card writes at about 9 MB/s, and reads at over 20MB/s.
http://tinyurl.com/y4fult

It seems all the SDHC cards are pretty lethargic, but I suspect that is because they are being conservatively spec'd. Can't be sure because I sent back the SDHC card I bought and instead acquired SD compatible 4Gb cards for my C6. So I didn't bother to do a comparative speed test with SDHC. I posted C6 compatibility data in another thread a week or so ago.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:06 AM   #5

Hi guys,

Just bought a Kingston 50X Elite Pro.
I was told that was the fastest of the Kingston 2G SD card. (Is it true?)
Well...I shot a video using the HD1 and when I was done I had to wait 4 seconds before I could do anything else.....4 secs is SUPER long given today's standards.

I was lucky ang tried another card and this time it only took 2 secs instead of 4. A great improvement.

Later, I'll have to take a look at the videos.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6

The Kingstons are some of the slowest cards around. And 150x is typical for 2 gig cards these days. Take a look at this resource for info in card availability:

http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/Se...SD/30/2GB.html

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote