Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:56 PM   #1

Hi guys

First things first: Happy new year:-)

I just recently (today) purchased a Xacti C6. I´m generaly happy with it. A fabolous little thing, but one thing anoys me. When taking pictures and just zooming when NOT videofilming, the zoom is fast but when I start videofilming the zoom is noticably slower.

Is this the way it should be or is it a setting? I looked trough the manual and the menys but I didn´t find anything. Have you guys experienced the same behaviour? Should I take it back and have it exchanged for another one?

Thanx
icegbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:05 PM   #2

It's normal, can't be changed.To meit generally seems like a good zoom speed for filming, asItend topacethecamera motion to avoid giving theviewers a headache. (it might also be to keep the zoom motornoise down while recording? dunno)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:15 AM   #3

Thx. I just wanted to know if this was normal. And when I come to think of it, it is really a much better zooming speed when filming, bcause precisely as you say, people tend to ruin the films when overusing the zoom.
icegbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:51 AM   #4

Mind you, it is a pain in the neck that you can't adjust even the Exposure Factor EV value, or the aperture, or the ASA, or even the manual focus, while you have the "film rolling." That is why I am looking to move back to conventional camcorders for my main video, using the C6 primarily as a convenient in-pocket camera for non-critical, candid, shots.

The first reviews of the Panasonic HDC-SD1 look pretty interesting, as it seems to have adequate functionality at low levels (specs say 6 lux). This recent review had a fascinating shot at twilight showing very good behavior of color tones and saturation in low light (something the C6 lacks)...
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/pa...c_hdc-sd1.html

I can't wait to see Steve's low-light color chart tests... And maybe I won't wait... I am getting close to taking the plunge and ordering one from Japan...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:02 AM   #5

Trevmar, if you are interested I foundmultiple sample videos (includinglow light shots)in a thread at Camcorderinfo (look for the MTS files), but ouch, the AVCHD file format is not yet well supported (video isMPEG4 AVC/H.264) and requires lots of CPU powerfor those HD resolutions. Someone in that threadmentionned that Vegas 7 is supposed to get an update to support AVCHD in the spring (2007).

I think you should probably head over to Camcorderinfo for more info/discussion on that cam.

Edit: another link: Japanese review, with more sample videos and photos. The stills are pretty good for a videocamera, just a little fuzzy. They've converted the video samples to .WMV format for those who can't view the .M2TS files.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:12 AM   #6

Thanks, Caelum,
I read somewhere that Sony had an AVC upgrade out already for Vegas 6, but I hadn't bothered to track it down. Looking at those low level lighting videos, especially the candlelight/60W bulb image, has convinced me that the HDC-SD1 is a huge step forward in my application (indoor, dimmed light, auditoriums).

I already have a dual-CPU Opteron machine for my Vegas editing, and it seems I will need even more computing power than I already have. Sigh... Such is progress...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote