Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:17 AM   #1

I just got my HD1a, so I thought I'd upload some samples. I'll do more as I take them, but please let me know if you are considering purchasing and have any video or even image sample requests.

By the way, I will probably be using RapidShare.com to post them, so if I ever get a bunch of stuff up, it may be easier for you to get a premium acount to download. Also, feel free to torrent them.

This first one is kind of bizarre, but it's interesting, and I always hoped to see someone do it. With higher definition and extreme closeups, this camera can take some pretty cool footage.

(By the way, I have a 1.8Ghz Celeron ( 478 ), and they play smoothly with VLC Player.)

The RapidShare folder is http://rapidshare.com/users/5C9MVT

The actual file is http://rapidshare.com/files/11036547/SANY0076.MP4
patrickriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:54 PM   #2

Could you do some of scenery with a lot of complex detail such as vegetation ie a scene with trees and other vegetation or similar? That's what tends to challenge the MPEG4 compression.

Also footage of any waterways such as lakes and rivers, which often tend have vegetation in them anyway. Whatever you have near you at your disposal I guess!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:13 AM   #3

Sorry to take so long. I was away for a bit.

Yes, lots of motion, commonly found in water and in moving vegetation, takes more data to compress, and will look worse at a ConstantBitRate.

I don't have much of either, since there is mostly just snow everywhere, but I did take a video indoors with the sun shining in of some vegetation and water.

With this video, I was zoomed in probably further than I should have been and was moving around, causing the light meter to contstantly adjust to lighter and then darker. I used manual focus, so it was focused on the same distance throughout, which wasn't a big problem. The biggest problem here, you will notice, is the sort of jumping in and out of crispness, especially at the beginning. As far as I know, it is just because of a low data rate(this is common when you reduce the size of DVD video a lot) where the frames become distorted enough through heavy compression that each I frame, independant of the other frames looks clearer(usually) and so the video kind of pops crisper a couple times per second. Strangely, this video looks different from that a bit, and the time when it does this is seemingly not in a very busy scene, so I'm actually not quite sure.

That said, this video probably isn't quite what you wanted, and certainly isn't as good as many of the videos from this camera, but hopefully will give you sort of an idea as to what it looks like with greens and water. Maybe more later . . .

http://rapidshare.com/files/12214328/SANY0174.MP4.html

edit: So you know, and to plug the source, this wasshot at the beautiful butterfly house in Sioux Falls, SD, USA. http://www.sertomabutterflyhouse.org/
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4

patrickriday wrote:
Quote:
This first one is kind of bizarre...
Alright... I'm officially creeped out now. :?:evil:
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:32 PM   #5

That is some very nice video! While professionals may look down on it, for someone like myself who just wants to take great looking hobby video, it looks to me, to do the job really well considering it's just using a regular SD card!

If it was under $400, I'd seriously consider buying one myself but at it's current price, I consider it a bit overpriced which is probably why it tends to get looked down upon. It will inevitably get compared with similarly priced more capable devices, as far as picture quality goes anyway.

Whether it's true high definition or not, doesn't matter to me. What matters more is that the video is definitely a notch above the regular Xacti series. Now I just have to wait until they come down to a more sensible price. Of course, by then other more affordable competitors may well come along.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:15 PM   #6

rgvcam,

Totally understandable . . . I, like you,was going to wait a while, but I realized that there are many memories which I really want to get nicer video of. I'm sure in 30 years I will look back at videonow as I now look back at home video from 30 years ago, and this HD cam is significantly better, as you say, so it was enough for me to decide to get it. After all, you only live once, and I will never get this year back. (However, $3000 for a nicer camera is a bit much; if I charge the battery in this camera, I'll need to have the electricity bill paid.)

Also, let me know if there's anything else. BTW, I hopefully will upload some sample of the 720p mode at 6mbps, which is good if using a tripod and filming slow moving stuff far away. I also might have to put up some 60fps vga stuff. When it is dark and the conditions just aren't good enoughfor a clear image at 720p(or even when they are), going from 30 to 60 frames per second definately increases the realism drastically.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:07 AM   #7

patrickriday wrote:
Quote:
[...]I hopefully will upload some sample of the 720p mode at 6mbps[...]
Oh, so the ones you posted were not recorded in high quality mode (HD-SHQ)?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:55 AM   #8

Caelum,

The ones I put up are 720p at 9mbps, which the camera calls SHQ, and is what I usually use. I was referring to what they call HQ on the camera which is also 720p, but with only 6mbps for low motion scenes with tripods.

I guess they figure 3mbps per 300k pixels is as good as you need, and 2mbps is for low motion, or low quality VGA mode. Since 720p is about 3 times 300k(640x480) they take 3x3mbps for 9mbps HD-SHQ and the 3x2mbps for 6mbps HD-HQ. (and they double it to 6mbps for double framerate VGA, which is actually more than they need, since there is less motionin 1/60th of a second than 1/30th, but I'm not complaining, since I think they have too low of rates anyway, and I never use 30fps 480p, only 60fps.)
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:05 AM   #9

Ok, thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:28 PM   #10

Today (January 26)I went out and took some video and photos because the weather was above freezing and extremely warm for the season (45F/7C!)

This video is with wind noisecancelling on andmanual focus, and is of melted snow going down a drain in the park. Someone had asked to sample this camera's MPEG-4 compression with the infamous water, demander of high bitrates, so this counts I guess, except there isn't much in the way of waves or other water patterns; it's pretty much a steady stream, so there isn't much movement in the image. Oh well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/13549298/SANY0245.MP4 <--Water

This next one was also with wind noise cancelling on(By the way, the wind was pretty strong, so even though you hear the wind a lot, the cancellationfeature may still be decent), and I think it was set to manual focus with the bar all the way over to infinity. Cameras have various responses to a whole lot of white, and this oneseems decent. It just looks a little dark, since the light reading is mostly of snow, which covers much of the image.

http://rapidshare.com/files/13551706/SANY0244.MP4 <--Snowy Landscape

And here is a shot of a canine friend of mine relaxing in the sun. The video is kind of shaky and out of focus a bit because I didn't have a very good postition and was trying to hold something else in my hand.

http://rapidshare.com/files/13583743/SANY0234.MP4 <--Furry Friend