Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:28 AM   #11

Actually after reading the thread with other people's feedback about the noise from their C6, I wonder if noise sounds louder in my C6 was also due to the firmware upgrade that makes audio recording volume dynamic.

If this is the case, I also wonder if the audio recording volume on the CG6 is NOT dynamic (which means there may be problems with clipping like the pre-update C6)?
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:00 PM   #12

With the new firmware my C6's motor noises are a little more noticeable in quiet environments, but it still wasaudible with the older firmware. It was never anywherenear as quiet at the Cx6 models are in your videos.

You could just yell at your CG6 to see if there's clipping. :-)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:16 AM   #13

Have you tried the "Noise Reduction" setting on the CG6? This is for reducing video noise. I don't remember where I read that (oh, yes I do, it was from the C6 manual which I got in PDF format).

This is right beside the menu entry for "wind noise reduction" which is to reduce microphone noise from air gusts.

Incidentally, has anybody ever test the efficacy of these two reduction options? For instance, I've tried the automatic red-eye removal and it worked .. but only the very first time! Since then if it detects any red-eye at all, it is just one eye or the other. I've since given up and use post-processing software on the computer instead.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:56 PM   #14

Thanks Grunchy I know there is a "noise reduction" function (which is different from the "wind noise reduction"), but I am not sure whether this is for reducing audio noise or the digital noise (of images).

In fact I don't use any electronic "reduction" functions (wind noise, video IS). I mention the recorded mechanical noise more as a curiosity not a complaint, it doesn't bother me at all during normal recording setting.

And thanks for the suggestion Caelum - problem is, I won't even yell at my wife, not to mention my beloved new toy!:G
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:24 PM   #15

I've have also given up on most of the in-built "correction" features, I haven't found them to be useful and/or there is often a better correction featurein PC software.

From the test I personally did with the "Noise Reduction" feature, it appearsthat it only kicks in when you take stills with long exposures. It takes twice as long to take a long exposure photo and I think what it's doing is the difference between your long exposure and a long "non-exposure" (black) therefore, in theory removing hot pixels. I could be wrong about what it does, but it really does only appear to take effect during long exposure stills. I never got good results with the wind noise reduction, but since the new firmware (auto-recording-volume-level), I'm not sure it's still even needed.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote