Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:50 AM   #1

Hi !

My Olympus C40-Z can mask dead pixel. I suppose it replaces dead pixel by the average of neighbor's color.

Do you think that Sanyo can update the firmware to correct each image of the video ?

I don't know if the operation can be done (in live) by the C6's CPU when movie making...

If it's possible why can we ask Sanyo to study this possibility ?

Thanks

4get9

PS : sorry for my English :roll:
4get9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:15 AM   #2

We all hope so. However, I was told that right now the only way to repair bad pixels is to send the camera back to Sanyo's service department. They have to map the specific bad pixels before applying the masking operation. I don't know if the camera can perform these operations alone.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:16 PM   #3

i have a hot pixel on mine,,,its intermittent... but I was able to live with it... no big deal..

echo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:52 PM   #4

It would make me happy too. I have a very annoying white dot visible on all indoor videos :sad:. Of course, I can livewith it but since I noticed the first thing I check onrecordingshow bad the whitedot is... Does anyone know if Sanyo is planning to come out with such a firmware for C6?
pityu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:52 AM   #5

Ihave a very annoying white dot visible on all indoor videos on my C6 too :sad:

Does anyone know if Sanyo is planning to come out with such a firmware for remapC6?
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:33 AM   #6

I've mentioned this before, but Sanyo needs to catch up to almost all of the the other manufactures that have in-camera hot pixel mapout. All the major players have it now. It will save Sanyo a lot of money in the long run; many cameras are returned for this reason although they may not realize it. I returned my first C40 for a hot pixel right out of the box that was visible on all video, for example. CCDs deteriorate and new hot pixels appear. If they appear before the camera is purchased they will get a return. If they appear during the warranty period they will be doing service work. A simple software change could save them money and make a lot of customers happy.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:22 AM   #7

Good point brachiopod. It hasn't happened to me yet on my Xactis but myfirst 1998 Kodak 1MP digicam has many dead pixels today while it didn't for a long time, so they do give in with age. It would also be so very interesting to have cameras like these with an open source firmware. I can't imagine all the possibilities...

Ithink a big issue is thatcompaniescount ontheir products being disposable. Take a look at Apple and the iPod withit's unreplaceable battery. Apple was counting on users just saying: "well it stopped working, I should just go out and buy the latest model". I'm convinced of this because more than five generations later and now the iPhone has an unreplaceable battery. They never intended to "fix" the problem, it's worked in their favor.

Perhaps reviewers should make this feature (mapping out dead pixels) a big issue, it would pressure the digicam companies to include it. Then again, I guess the goal is to deliver a product where you never have to map out any.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:16 AM   #8

"Open source firmware"

I'm afraid this would have to be a hack. I don't know why but all the camera makers love to cripple something in each of their products.

If they wanted to Sanyo could add burst mode, slow zoom, pixel mapping, noise filter level, contrast level adjustment, color level adjustment, lock the aperture, adjust the EV while recording, and add higher bit rate of 4k for video.

Right now the bit rate is a little low so their is always some compression noise and the colors are a little too high and if you could lower the contrast a little the whites would not blow out so easy. Adding an ISO 300 for video would be nice. (I know there is no real ISO 300)

Trying to get my wife to use a non burst camera just has not worked so far.:P

I'm collecting some video samples from a few cameras I have tried. My old Canon GL-1,
Casio P-505, Panasonic SDR-S150, Sanyo CG 65, Panasonic DMC-TZ1.

I have done LUX reading test at 60, 30, 19 LUX and the CG65 performs the best of the single sensor cameras.

As time goes on I will post the full test videos.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:29 PM   #9

I tried to write with this question in support Sanyo Electric Service Europe
The answer from them

Thank you for your inquiry.
In order to check this error, you will have to deliver your Sanyo VPC-C6 Digital Movie Camera to one of our repair partners.
We invite you to visit our Homepage (
http://www.sanyo-service.com/), where you'll find all repair partners next to you by selecting your country and "Digital Image" in the Drop-Menu.

Best regards
Your Sanyo Support Team

I have called in the nearest repair partners, whether also they have not answered is at them such firmware Probably it is military secret:shock:
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote