Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:59 PM   #1

So sadly, my US model HD1 just got the dreaded black screen. After calling the Sanyo service number, I was instructed to ship it to the Customer Care Clinic in CA.

The service center informed me that I need to pay $125 for labor since the warranty only covers 3 months for labor and 12 months for parts and the camera is 11 months old!

Is this what you all with the same problem have had to do? I find it extremely unfair to have to pay for the labor charge on such an obvious manufacturing issue. I feel like I am bearing the cost of Sanyo's errors. I've counted at least 50 or 60 posts with others with the same issue on various forums, blogs, and reviews.

Is this unreasonable?
ducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:57 PM   #2

Hm, that's terrible. If you bought with credit card theymay offer warranty extension but at least in the case of my Visa, it is limited to doubling of the warranty to a maximum of 1 additional year. So the 3 month labor warranty would have doubled to 6 months, and since the camera is more than 6 months old even that (potential) avenue is closed.

Sorry to hear your bad news...
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:02 PM   #3

For awhile, Sanyo extended the warranty on these black screen problems but I don't know if they still do that or not.

I have a Sanyo Xacti and I like it but I would never buy another Sanyo product if the warranty is only 90 days and the service is as you describe. There are other good products available.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:52 PM   #4

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Hm, that's terrible. If you bought with credit card theymay offer warranty extension but at least in the case of my Visa, it is limited to doubling of the warranty to a maximum of 1 additional year. So the 3 month labor warranty would have doubled to 6 months, and since the camera is more than 6 months old even that (potential) avenue is closed.

Sorry to hear your bad news...
Considering the price of these devices, 90 days is a bit pathetic. Even the cheap Aiptek gives a full 1 year for labor. 90 days is just short enough that you could easilynot notice adefect in time if you don't use it constantly which I am sure is what they count on...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:09 PM   #5

Theres a user on this forum that's a Sanyo rep. He is usually very good at responding to requests from members for information. I'm almost certain that he said in an earlier post that these "Black Screen" problems were given extended warranties.

I'd suggest suggest you post a new post titled "Question for Sanyo" or something like that and see if he responds.

Hard to understand what some so called business people have as policies, isn't it?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:33 PM   #6

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Theres a user on this forum that's a Sanyo rep. He is usually very good at responding to requests from members for information. I'm almost certain that he said in an earlier post that these "Black Screen" problems were given extended warranties.

I'd suggest suggest you post a new post titled "Question for Sanyo" or something like that and see if he responds.

Hard to understand what some so called business people have as policies, isn't it?
I don't have a HD1, just a C40, but it has the same 90 day warranty. A short warranty is basically saying they don't have faith in their product and the labor cost can often be more than the parts. I found this out with a Sharp PDA once (out of warranty of couse), when a ROM reflash went wrong (why I don't know as I am extremely careful but even the best laid plans of mice and men sometimes are not enough...) and they charged me over $100 to reflash. No parts just labor!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:35 PM   #7

There's a guy over on DV-Info who has found the cause of the blackscreen and has published instructions on how to fix it. Another guy has published photos of the camera disassembly to help get the lens out.

Instructions:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86507

Photos:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87291

My camera just started acting up -- it's 6 months old. I was very happy with it and loved the photos and video I got out of it, so I'm going to put the effort into fixing it.
alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:33 AM   #8

I have just fixed my camera, which was dead for four months, using info on the DVI forum. The problem with our cameras was trivial - grease on iris blades, which make them stick together. You have to completely disassemble the iris to fully clean it.

In fact it is not as difficult, as it sounds. You only need some basic knowledge, brave heart, a set of precision screwdrivers and tweezers. The whole operation can be done in 2 hours.
mindawgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:43 PM   #9

Update: I just got my camera back from repair. I'm an engineer and would have done it myself, but a) Sanyo extended the warranty for me, and b) I've got more important things to do with my time right now (it is tax season here in the US, after all!)

Details: My HD1 (Serial # 02910xxx) was purchased in August of 2006. In January 2007, while on vacation, it exhibited the BSOD for the first time, but it only a couple times during a week-long period where I took several hundred photos. In February, it was more problematic; in March, it became a permanent failure.

I contacted Sanyo at the 800 # in mid-March and explained the situation, including that the symptom first showed up when the unit was just over 4 months old. They wanted proof of purchase after I described the problem to them, and they extended the warranty period for this repair. They were quite cordial and helpful, and did not question what I meant by "black screen of death", although I did expand on it to ensure that they knew it was not just the OLED display, but the iris.

I sent the camera by FedEx ground to Skokie TV, just outside of Chicago, last Thursday. I got my repaired camera back today, less than a week later. The repair costs were listed as close to $300 (parts and labor), but Sanyo paid for the whole thing.

The camera is working well at this point.

One satisfied customer here...
alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote