Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:01 PM   #1

I sort of hate to pass on rumors but I just read on the DP Canon forum that Canon has an "Xacti like" hybrid coming with a 10X zoom. I have no idea if this is true but it would sure liven up the market, wouldn't it?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:02 PM   #2

I guess it happened today, the Canon TX1 with 10X zoom, 7MP stills, HD video etc. It looks pretty "boxy" but the specifications are impressive. A little competition never hurts, does it?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:10 AM   #3
Administrator

Yep, it's true, read about it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...07_tx1_pr.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:33 AM   #4

But like we are discussing in the Hybrid forum, it only records in MJPEGandwhat's the point if you can only record a few minutesof HD on a 4GB SD?!
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:31 PM   #5

Steve -- I have been using the Sanyo HD1 since it came out with terrific results, partly because of the "blast" you said you had using these hybrids.
Your prompt reviews of the HD1 and HD1a were most helpful. I hope you can do the same for the HD2 and the Canon TX1, since both are coming out at the same time.

My standards are high (I started out as a photographer for LIFE magazine) and I'm convinced that these cameras plus HDTV are the wave of the future. Sold as I am, I have both the HD2 and the TX1 on order already.
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:35 PM   #6

pshoto,...I admire a guy that doesn't mess around. I also like it when someone appreciates a new development and doesn't find 1000 things to nitpick. My take on these innovations is that you consider their limitations and advantages, then take it or leave it. It's unreasonable to expect studio production from a tiny $500 camera in my opinion.

I love the little hybrids and enjoy my Xacti C5. However, I also use a Canon A710 and the videos are better. There is no autofocus hunting and the backgrounds are in much sharper focus than the Xacti shots are. Both actually have suitable quality for my purposes.

I'm anxious for Steve to review the HD2 and the TX1. I hope you'll take some time to post your impressions after you receive yours. I'll wait till then before deciding which one goes in my shirt pocket.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:20 PM   #7

Oh, I love this camera!!

But I hate the MJPEG. :evil:

Sorry.. no deal.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:53 AM   #8

This link shows a Japanese review of the [highlight= #ffff88]TX1[/highlight] with sample video's.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20070307/zooma298.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwatch%2Bimpress%2Bavwatch%26num%3D50% 26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3DGGGL,GGGL:2 006-17,GGGL:en

I would like others opinion on the video samples in HD with the girl walking through the bush/forrest - it seems like the auto focus is hunting all over the place (maybe face detection was on and it was hunting to detect and focus on a face??). The 640 x 480 clip almost seemed to focus smoother?

Secondly I've noticed a synthetic sound pop up in different places in a few of the video samples (sounds like cutlery dropped onto a plate). I'm hoping it is from pressing a button on the camera and not some camera mechanism noise being recorded??

The low light indoor video looks to me fairly poor quality also (ezsm12.mov).

Also the large 271MB sample video compilation is quite jerky when trying to film the girl walking through the street in my opinion.

Hopefully steves-digicams or dpreview will do a review soon.

Have fun trying to decipher the review or translate it

Sector7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:51 PM   #9

I noticed that the videos on that site that are wrapped in an MOV file have a lot more noise than the files wrapped in an AVI file. That makes me think that whatever he did to convert them to MOV files degraded the quality.

I took some of the AVI files from the site, dropped them into an iMovie 720p project, sent them to iDVD and burned a DVD (obviously, this wasn't HD). The resulting output was pretty nice. I think this is the camera I have been waiting for for quite some time now. From what I have read, because the camera uses MJPEG it means editing will be of a generally higher quality. (It uses a pretty high bitrate and all compression is entirely intraframe.) At $500, it is an exceptional deal.
thefinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:36 PM   #10

Comparison of theSanyo and Canon small cameras:

http://www.**********************/digital-cameras/the-new-frontier-high-definition-video-comes-to-digital-cameras-we-pick-the-best-buy_news.html
carirju is offline   Reply With Quote