Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1

:??:?

Hi i own a Imac G5 and I use iMovie for all my editing. iMovie has a function called Magic Movie which basically imports all your video & picture and burns a dvd all in one step. Heres the kicker, iMovie asks for you to hook up your camcorder with a Firewire cable and the HD1a doesn't come with one :sad:.. I've called Sanyo and they said they just don'tmake one (there guywas shortwith me and wouldn't give me a reason why) but it just doesn't make any sence! Is there a reason why Sanyo doesn't make a Firewire cable?? I'm new to digital Camcorder but it seems like every camera should come with a firewire b/c they import video faster.

Please Help
Kamakibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2

The Xacti HD1a / HD2uses USB 2.0 and is not designed to and doesn't have the chipset to use firewire. Main reason is firewire isn't necessary for this type of camera as you are not importing live video but rather copying a compressed MPEG4 file.

I also use a G5 with iMovie. To get the images into iMovie, you can simply use the camera as a card reader. Open up the card (like any other disk drive). Grab all of the clips and pull them into the iMovie clip boxes. Each clip will occupy an individual box. I movie works quite well with the HD1a / HD2 files.

I'm not sure how that will work with Magic Movie as I have not used that.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:11 PM   #3

Hi. Firewire/IEEE 1394(400Mbps) and USB 2.0 (480Mbps) arevery close in terms of speed, but different interface implementations. They are simply interfaces, and the reason the HD1a has a USB interface instead of a Firewire one is because USB is more universal, every computer today has one. The interface is not the issue. (In fact typical camcorderswith Firewire connections use DV (digital video)that consumes 25Mbps for SD (standard definition) video, whereas the HD1a records HD (high definition) video at a maximum of 9Mbps because of it's very efficient MPEG4 compression. Therefore, retrieving your HD1a HD video via USB2 is going to be faster than you could retrieve SD camcorder video via Firewire, not to mention it doesn't have to rewind tape, etc..)

I don't know iMovie, but there is no reason it can't do the same thing with your MPEG4 video and JPEG photo files directly. In fact, it's more straightforward since the video is already in .MP4 file clips ready to process and the iMac has native support for .MP4 files. Perhaps you just need to read the iMovie manual to figure out how to makemovies from video files (.MP4) and photo files (.JPEG) from a directory (folder) instead of from a camcoder connected to the Firewire port. If iMovie cannot do this, the problem isyour software, not the HD1a, you shouldtake it upwith Apple.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:17 PM   #4

Hey thanks alot! I feel alot better about USB now. When i get home i'm going to play around with it.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

In the following I am assuming that you are using the Sanyo for HD video, to be viewed on an HDTV or your computer. For standard TV or DVD the directions would be different.

In iMovie you start a new project in the HD 1280 x 720 format and use the "import file" function. It will import the mp4 files from the camera and convert them automatically to Apple Intermediate Codec. This takes a little while, but is good because it allows frame-accurate editing (you don't have choice anway).

When you have edited the film, you have choices on how to render it. You go to the file menu and select "export". The menu then shows "compress for" choices. I would recommend that you choose "full quality". iMovie then creates a single edited .mov file fairly quickly that you can play. If you don't like somethng, you can re-edit and re-render without wasting a lot of time.

The full-quality Quicktime movie is fine, except that it takes up a lot of hard drive space. If that is a problem, you can get an external hard drive and/or convert the movie to a more compressed format. To do that you would open the full quality file in Quicktime and then export it again as Quicktime H.264, which takes up a fraction of the space and looks just about the same as the original. The conversion takes a long time and is very computer intensive.
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:17 AM   #6

Hey thanks for the tips!