Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1

Could anyone let me know if the Sanyo CG6 has the "Pause" function while shooting a movie? Note, I mean "Pause", a function which all video cameras have but not many DCs have for movie. This is different to "Stop" shooting.

If it has, which button serves the function?

PS. Same questionson Sanyo HD1A.

Thanks a lot.

hifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2

No, but the timeto stop/record is very short, certainly much shorter than your intended pause. Camcorders have a pause because it otherwise takes some time to unload (stop) and reload (record) the tape from the cassette into the gears and drum mechanism ready for recording; orto spin upthe discs and align the head on DVD recorders. This is not the case with solid statecams like the Xactis, stop and record have little overhead.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:57 PM   #3

The HD1 doesn't have a record pause either. Of my solid state cameras, only an inexpensive hybrid, the SVP HDDV-8600, has this feature. You can always put clips together lateron your computer.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:38 PM   #4

Hello, Caelumand Old HACer,

Thank you both for prompt response.

I agreewith your points which are fair on their own rights. However, I still prefer having a DV with the pause feature, otherwise I'll feel it a weaknessof its function.

A pause feature is useful and important when you want to include scences of different spots or at different time intervals in the same clip.

A simple example: my daughter is dancing in the living room and wife is cooking in the kichen, and I want to record both in one clip, with the "pause" function, I can shoot one scene and then pause, then move to the other site to resume. Otherwise, I'll have to include all the process of me walking from living room to kichen in the video, which is not really desirable.

Of course, you may argue that I can shoot the two scenes in two separate clips, and join them together when doing the editing, but itmay create too many short clips at the first place (especially when you use this mode of shooting frequently), and secondly it takes more time in editing the clips.

Cheers,

PS. I did receive the ordered CG6 lastnight, but unfortunatelydecided to return it when finding it doen't have the "pause" feature. Otherwise, I'd say it's a perfect gadget to suit my need.

I'm just wondering why Sanyo did not include this feature in its "C" and "HD" series products, which I don't think it difficult to achieve.

Hifan

Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5

Ok, but I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand your point; your daughter dancing in the living room and your wife cooking in the kitchen, two different scenes recorded astwo clips or one clip with a pause, what is the benefit? Clips are useful,it's easier to have premade clips than to make them laterfor editing.Or if you simply play back your videosin slideshow mode then they will play one after the other anyhow, like a continuous video. Either you edit, then you want clips, or you don't, then you just play a slideshow, how does a pause really help if notto aleviate mechanical delays whilerecording? Come to think about it,since DV tape is continuous in camcorders, they would not have a record-pause if stop and record had no mechanical overhead, the end result would be the exact same.

Note that you canjoin two clips from within the camera with the join function, you don't have to do it on a PC, which is easy to do as well.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:07 AM   #6

Imeant to record the two scenes, daughter dancing and wife cooking, in one clip. May be this is not a very typical example. here's one more:

I have ten friends attending my brother's wedding ceremony in the church, after they've seated (scatteredly in every corner of the hall), I want to use my DV to identify and recordtheir smiling facesone by onefrom the mass guests. Instead of end up having ten separate short clips of about 5-10 seconds for each of them by using shoot, stop and then another clip,I'dprefer using the shoot-pause-restart function tohave all the ten smiling faces in one singleclip of one or two minutes long. So when transfering it into my computer, I don't have to give each of the 10 separately clips an identifiable name, such as: "John", :"Mike", etc., butsimply "My friends" for the single clip.

May be I'm too exacting on what I need, but this feature should simply a "full featured" DV possess.

Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:06 PM   #7

Alright, but I'm still not convinced, I wonder if itmay be a case of "old habits die hard".If you could usepause all the time, then if you made a simple mistake at one point you couldn't just quickly delete the lastclip, it would delete all. So you would spend a lot more time in editing cutting clips from your long sequences!

Again, there is a free utility that allows you to join .MP4 clips together very easily, you justopen the multiple clips, save as one new clip, that's it, it doesn't re-encode, it's very fast and you get to pick and choose.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:35 PM   #8

Hey hifan,

I notice the Samsung NV3 digital camera has the video pause function you want - this is rather unique in digital camera video modes. Read the description under "Movie Mode":

dcresource .com /reviews/samsung/nv3-review/

(sorry just in case the URL got asterisked (blocked) - just remove the spaces in between)

Like the Sanyo, the Samsung NV3 also makes efficient MPEG4 (DIVX AVI) movies, and you can use the optical zoom during movie making. The Samsung is also a budget-priced camera.

The only problem is, video quality is only mediocre, because for the highest resolution 640 x 480, the max. video bitrate is only about 1500 kbps, compared to 3000 kbps in the Sanyo Xacti - you can take a look at the sample video on the above website.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Two more models NV7 and NV10 are also reviewed at dcresource. They have the same feature(s) but have larger size. However, the quality of the sample videos seems to be better (I believe because of higher video recording bitrate).

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote