Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1

I have my C6 for about a year now. I love this camera and take it always with me. But unfortunatly I start to believe that it is not a reliable product. I have now two dead white pixels that are very noticeable on all my videos and of course much more in low light. These dead pixels were not that big before and even when I bought the camera I didn't notice any so I am affraid it becomes worst and worst with the time and more white dot will appear. I am not happy because as you know the camera is not cheap and I believe there is no solution for dead pixels. So I am thinking to buy a new model with the fear that I might have the same problem after a year. I love this camera and I really need one but with no dead pixels. is the HD model or CG6 have the same issue ?

Thanks for any advice.
fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:15 PM   #2

I just got my second C40 after returning the first one for another issue. I checked both for 'active' pixels, and both had 1 to be exact. I have not owned the C40 long so I cannot help you with the 'growing over time' issue. However, I have to admit that I have not heard of active pixels growing before, or more active pixels appearing. I thought it was a manufacturing issue. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer.
damc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:47 PM   #3

I luckily don't have any bad pixels on my C6, yet, knock on wood, but I have pondered this issue. My first megapixel digicam was the Kodak DC210+ purchased back in 1998 (I paid as much for it as the C6!). This camera did not have any problem pixels, either on the sensor (in photos) or on the LCD screen… that is, until six years later. I had since purchased higher resolution cameras but I would still pull out the old Kodak for interior web real-estate related shots due to its wide angled lens and strong flash. So in 2004 my Kodak's sensor started exhibiting bad pixels, and last time I tried it, in 2005, I counted at least fivedead pixels. So perhaps age does play a part? Of the higher resolution cameras I had purchased, one had a bad pixel soon after purchase (a Fuji) and I was bummed. I tried to find out what the deal was with bad pixels on sensors and discovered that it was more prevalent than I imagined. I came across a lot of reports of bad pixels, both on consumer and pro level digicams. Also many people don't notice them on the photos they've sent me, probably because one stuck pixel on a high megapixel still isn't so noticeable. I've heard some manufacturers map out bad pixels at the factory. Apparently some higher priced models, allow users to map out bad pixels. I doubt manufacturers would admit to how prevalent an issue this is.

There is an option on the C6 to map out hot pixels, it's called "Noise Reduction" under the settings menu. When turned on, it does this: when taking long exposure stills, internally the camera will also take a long unexposed still, subtract any lit pixels in it from the exposed still. You can test it by taking twos photos with your lens cap on, one with noise reduction off, one with on. The problem is it only works for long exposures andtherefore not for video.

If the manufacturers can't/won't address this, hope might lie in software. More softwares arejust beginning todeal with this issue. Check out the open source GREYCstoration, it not only can denoise images, like neat image and noise ninja, but it can do what it calls "inpainting", that is fill in or replace missing pieces in a photo (check out this sample image where they removed a bird cage from a photo). As a command line utility it's not practical now, but it holds promise for future free software tools. Sorry this doesn't really help you, but I'll agree that I'd also rather havezero bad pixels over more features any day.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:32 PM   #4

Thanks CAELUM. Your comment is very true. I use my C6 only for video. I don't take pictures. I guess there is no solution for this. It won't bother me on pictures but on video it is really noticeable. Do you think Sanyo would map out my dead pixels ? It is such a shame that their sensor are so cheap. Dead pixels should not appear after less than a year. 5 years it is normal. It looks like many C6 users have complain about this issue.
fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:52 PM   #5

My C6 has one hot pixel near the bottom center of the screen. But it took me 4 months to realize this because I almost never look at the raw footage. Standard procedure is to scale to 720 x 480 DV format, which I edit in Premiere and then encode to MPEG2 for DVDs. The bicubic horizontal scaling averages out the single hot pixel.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6

I returned my first C40 for a hot pixel almost dead center that was visible on video in normal light and on still photos at short shutter speeds (at longer shutter speeds the noise retuction setting worked). The second one is OK so far. Hopefully Sanyo will realize that this issue is causing camera returns and will build in some user hot pixel mapout as all the major manufactures have now. A lot of returns for this would hurt their bottom line.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote