Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:07 AM   #1

Following Sanyo's teaser on its Japanese web site, we now have the reveal… and it's green!... no wait, it's an upgrade! Specifically an upgrade to Sanyo's Xacti engine. It seems the Xacti line is moving up in terms of codecs. The new Xacti will utilize the more advanced H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Codec) instead of the original MPEG-4 (simple profile). Check out Apple's description of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, or check out Wikipedia for a more involved exploration. As an ISO standard H.264/AVC is getting a lot of momentum, establishing itself as the new digital video standard, as it is being widely adopted; everything from portable media players (video iPod and PSP both support it) to the digital video broadcast standard and satellite TV codec of choice for most countries around the world, and of course it has been adopted by both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for high definition content.

So the new Sanyo Xacti is the CG65 (Japanese, no English page available yet). Appears it's very similar to the recent (only available in Japan) CG6, however it will sport the new H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video engine, which could be significant. What remains to see is if Sanyo can deliver on the promise of better video quality at the same or lower data rates (smaller file sizes) using its new H.264/AVC engine. Personally if I can get lots of great looking video in the smallest possible file sizes I'm happy. At least it promises to be an ideal computer/internet broadcast/PMP targeted digicam.

Here is the USA press release:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/sa...7_cg65_pr.html

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:22 AM   #2

Will the HD2 have that H.264 encoder too? I take it this is hardware encoding so we should expect no firmware update for the C6..

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:20 AM   #3

Hi Grunchy, it's not mentioned in the specs so I'mpretty surethe HD2 will not use H.264. Since H.264 is computationally moredemanding, both for encoding and decoding, HD might come later.Also the HD2was announced at the beginning of January, three months before it's release.

EDIT: Oh, and I think you're right about the C6, and other previous models, as theJapanesepress releasementions a new LSI (new chip) called the "pure fourth engine", so it sounds like the new engine is hardware, not just software.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:23 PM   #4

The HD2 is not AVC/H.264

The H.264 used in the CG65 requires a separate hardware chip in addition to the MPEG4 engine chip due to the complexity ofencoding H.264.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:00 PM   #5

I've been researching these xacti models, and am very interested to compare the video quality of this new model to the existing one. I use H.264 frequently for various work projects and have always been impressed with the quality vs. compression.

The current C6 looked decent, but not fantastic. I wonder if this one will give a slight step up. I also hope it's available in the US before May, as I'm going on a trip where a camera like these would be really nice to have...
xmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:57 PM   #6

Just wish they'd put it into the old VPC-C5/C6 case so that those with underwater housings could try it out...

Actually... hmm... I wonder if Circuit City will eventually have it, might be able to try to blag them into letting me see if it fits my underwater housing...

Otherwise maybe it'll be the HD2...looking forward to seeing what kind of video that takes, hopefully better than the HD1
Arla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:16 PM   #7

The underwater housing for the C5/6 will NOT fit the CG6/65.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:32 PM   #8

Well it was a pipe dream.....

Unfortunately it's probably not a huge issue anyway since I'm guessing the CG65 is going to have the same battery life as the C6 which is just a bit short for use for diving.

Wish I could figure out a way to juryrig a better battery supply to my C5 and fit it inside the case... maybe that's my next project...
Arla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:53 AM   #9

There has been an H264 HD codec chip that is small cheap and low powered for sometime, but Japanese companies seem to prefer to make their own, and their own H264 standard.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:56 PM   #10

Personally, since I started using 4Gig SD cards in the C6, with the fastest (highest quality) data rate, the primary quality limitation has been in the video conversion from .MP4 within Sony Vegas, which stinks.

The breakthrough was to realize that MPEG Streamclip (free software) will export the C6's .MP4 files to a DV compatible AVI. Sony Vegas handles this perfectly, and MPEG Streamclip handles the conversion of the black levels correctly, getting rid of any blocky noise, especially in dark tones.

So I don't really see a need for H364 right now. 4Gig SD cards are so cheap... Now, if they were using this on the HD2 I would be more interested...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote