Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:52 PM   #1

Hi there, so where to start.... ok. I have a Sanyo Xacti vpc-C6 and have been using the SanDisk Ultra II 2 gb SD card. I bought two from the same seller on eBay and have had the same problem occur with both cards. They work fine at first but once I've used a fair bit of the card, it stops working and gives me a system error message. Actually what shows up is a giant "?" in the middle of the screen. However at the time of recording everything seems fine. I can scroll back to the first few videos or pictures that came out fine on the playback screen and watch them but at the point where it stops working, I end up having to scroll through a bunch of "?". And of course once I download the card onto my computer (I'm running a MacBook and use iPhoto/iMovie) I get a bunch of error messages and invalid file messages I'm trying to figure out whether the problem is the sandisk ultra II or the camera or me. The camera itself is really quite user friendly so I don't know what I could be doing to cause this. The first time it happened was when I first used the camera and it was at a rock concert (probably not the best place to take it for a test drive:G) and I was getting shoved around a bit. So I had originally assumed it was my own fault and was quite sad at having been unable to retrieve what would have been some seriously awesome footage. The few videos that did make it were great (Side note: once it did start losing files that night, one of the videos came out with no sound???). However, it did it again just the other day and this was the other card which I had just taken out of the original packaging. As I mentioned I bought both cards from some dude on eBay. A little shady perhaps but a lot of things on eBay are. They were sealed and in the original packaging so I didn't think much of it. I really don't know what to make of it or what to do about it. Any advice or ideas anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any recovery software for SD cards that will run on a Mac (or places that will do this for you), that would be awesome. I haven't touched the card from the concert as I have this mildly pathetic hope of recovering the missing data somehow.

audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:32 AM   #2

Sounds exactly like the old fake flashscam that has occured over and over on eBay! Search Google for fake, your make and model, you'll get tons of hits. Sorry tosay you got screwed.

Edit: Your missing data doesn't exist, the card is a slow small capacitycard that has been reprogrammed topretend it's a high capacity card. So the cam saves clips to thecard ok up until the real capacity is reached,then the rest just goes nowhere, thecard acts like it's saving data,then updates thedirectory with the filename, size, etc., but it points toan invalid location that just doesn't exist on the card. When you read those files, thecard just feeds junk.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:31 AM   #3

Really? That's actually good news. I don't feel too bad about getting scammed as I got them dirt cheap which is why I had wondered about them to begin with. You do get what you pay for Thanks so much for the tip, I'll be getting myself some decent cards from bestbuy. As for the lost concert footage, c'est la vie. I'd be sadder if it weren't for the fact that I'll be seeing the same band again next month. I love the C6 for many reasons but one of the main reasons is it's just oh so easy to sneak into concerts :blah:

Would the crappy cards also account for the one video that had no sound? I'm guessing yes....
audeo is offline   Reply With Quote