Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:02 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I like the look of the new CG65....does anyone know if the good old mp4cam2avi converter will still work with these H.264/MP4 files???

sorry for being a bit of a dunce in this sort of thing!

cheers

Vince

vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:51 AM   #2

You should check the compatibility of the software at their website:

http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

I don't think the current version is compatible with H.264/ AVC.

However, you can email the author about this and see if he can include the new codec in future versions - Xacti HD1 users did this and a new version that supports high-definition screen resolution came out quite quickly. However, since this is a major codec upgrade, I think it may take longer for the new version to support this.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:05 AM   #3

There is currently some support for AVC in MP4Cam2AVI, but it doesn't mean that it will work with the files created by the CG65. Like blindsight points out, the developpers could add support for the CG65 if kindly asked to do so (and provided a file sample).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 3:04 AM   #4

The problem with h264 and avi is that AVI container actually doesn't support h264. But, maybe, it will be possible to update MP4Cam2AVI that it will make h264 AVI files compatible with VirtualDub, so it will be possible to convert them to DivX/XviD.

But, anyway, it's a partial solution, the best way is to keep h264 video in mp4 container.

I'mcurrently planning to develop ashareware app dedicated for h264 cams only (it will join the clips and do some basic trim & cut).

Graywolf2004, MP4Cam2AVI author.
graywolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 4:57 AM   #5

SUPER does this job. http://www.erightsoft.net
SUPER took a multi-pass h.264 MP4 file I made in MPEG Streamclip, and re-wrapped it into avi. I did change the audio settings to transcode the aac audio track into WAV. That's the same as how I set up MP4CAM2avi to make my c-6 clips into avi, to load into virtualdub. It worked! I could play back the avi well enough, though it displayed a nasty decoding glitch that straightened out after a few moments, playing under good `ol VLC.

However, I tried to play it in media player classic, and then tried to import it into Windows Media Maker, but it only played back as noise with no video. Virtualdub refused to open it.
I guess that would be nice if MP4CAM2AVI added the h.264 function, but I begin to doubt that the resulting video will be supported by editing applications.

If I had an AVC format cam, I'd expect sucess using MPEG Streamclip to trim, join and save out AVC MP4 files, and to output DV files for editing. I might also use either Mediacoder or SUPER to export Huffy YUV or Panasonic DV files for further processing in video applications.
xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 8:11 AM   #6

graywolf2004 thanks for all your effort and work! It's greatly appreciated.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 10:07 AM   #7

MP4Cam2AVI recognizesa sample file from a CG65 but when it converts it to .avi the resulting video file is a black screen. RAD Video Tools (also free) will convert a CG65 file to most any AVI fileyou want but it is clumsy at batch processing.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 10:09 AM   #8

Just today I've got the h264 AVI converted from CG65's MP4 with MP4Cam2AVI.

WMPlayer plays it file, and even VirtualDub opens it (with latest FFDShow) So it's not aproblem to convert it to whatever you want.

But anyway it's a dirty hack

Soon all newer DVD players will support MPEG-4 AVC in MP4 container. So it's better to find a way to keep AVC in mp4. That's why I'm planningto make a mp4cam2avi-like tool specially for h264 cameras
Old May 24, 2007, 10:12 AM   #9

Make that any non-h.264 .avi you want... In my tests I went with a non-compressed .avi, which is why I run over a TB worth of drives for video uses.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 10:21 AM   #10

I'll upload new version of MP4Cam2AVI with AVC support to the end of next week. Current version doesn't work with AVC correctly.