Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:45 PM   #1

I just bought my VPC-C6EXE from ebay and I am really disappointed with the bad still image quality caused by the heavy image compression.
Does anybody know about a firmware, even if it was not an "official" one, that allows to save the images without or at least with less jpeg compression? Any other idea how to improve the image quality?

Thanks in advance!
perpollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:20 PM   #2

Use photo resolution "6m-H" forthe least JPEG compression. For best image quality make sure there is enough light(try outdoorsin daytime). It helps to have a subject to focus on (6m-S C6 example), JPEG doesn't do that well withfine contrast detail over an entire scene (6m-S C6 example). Don't focus too much on viewing stills at pixel size,viewed as a whole photo or printed,they look fine. It's possible therecould bea problem with the one you got off eBay, or the lens could have smudges.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:08 PM   #3

Caelum, thank you for the reply.
Of couse, I was talking about the best resolution available. I think there is no particular problem with my camera. Please see the following review that I´ve just found, they mention the same problem.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...acti-VPC-C6/p3

And even at your image you can find the artefacts. Of course not everywhere, but have a look at the girl´s eyebrow at 100% ...and this is already quite a good image.
I´m used to crop from the full resolution images in order to recompose or to adjust the image frame. That´s why I need the 100%. In my opinion the quality of this camera is only acceptable at 50% of the full resolution, but this corresponds to a 1.5MP camera. This is cell phone level!
I could accept bad results for heavily compressed images, as long as there would be the option to save images with low compression, even if the image size was then a multiple. Is there any technical restriction that prevents that? Or is it just to save memory space? I guess the lens and the sensor have the quality, for me it just looks like wasted potential. That´s why I asked for a firmware.
perpollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 2:19 AM   #4

Sorry, the C6 doesn't offer aRAW format. Yes, a C6 6MP JPEG at 2.5MB isfairly compressed considering it represents less than 15%of the decompressed image (6*RBG = 18MB). I think as an ultra compactconsumer cam, it's a practical issue, it takes less time to write/readthe SD card, many find 2.5MB big forone photo, and most use photos as is, framing when shooting. But I have yet to see a cell phone take photos as good as the C6 (not to mention have optical focus and zoom).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote